PM is up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PM is up!

Only 40mph faster than the sport class! Maybe that other much slower aircraft running around the course effected Thom's line/speed? New course? Qualifying strategy could be to just give it enough power to get into the show. I would hope that Thom would want to see how much of a speed difference the other mods make given he is running the same motor and power settings as last year. I'm hoping for a 470 lap. Anything less will be disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
      Only 40mph faster than the sport class! Maybe that other much slower aircraft running around the course effected Thom's line/speed? New course? Qualifying strategy could be to just give it enough power to get into the show. I would hope that Thom would want to see how much of a speed difference the other mods make given he is running the same motor and power settings as last year. I'm hoping for a 470 lap. Anything less will be disappointing.

I am thinking we are lucky he is there at all and with the last minute thrash to get a motor together and get PM here is good enough for me...I would be surprised if he would push the power up much higher on that motor...Time will tell I guess...I am still impressed that they got her here at all and still put up a nice speed
      Last edited by johnnyrace; 09-11-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

you're right, we should be satisfied that PM is here. But if you are a racer, you always want to go faster! One of the crew told me they only have that engine and still need to get her back to FLA. From the sounds of it, the engine in the plane was all over the hanger in pieces with some of the parts on "the" racing engine so I doubt the team was bringing a spare engine to begin with. That being said, I don't think Thom's strategy before the engine failure in FL was to worry about saving that engine in Reno. "Give me full power Scotty". Worry about getting back to FL later. Go Thom go!
        Last edited by Hans Oberev; 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
          It could be that they are taking it easy on the engine because some of the parts only have the flight time out here on them. I watched the qualifying run from yesterday and the qualifying run from last year and it sounded like they were just sort of out for a cruise this year. There is a chance they are really sandbagging it. Heck, the Buick is only 6 mph faster so they might just be taking it easy on the motor, and running minimal power settings to get in the game. Since Strega didn't qualify, they didn't need to go hard to get in the gold. I guess we'll see come race day.

Will

Comment

After looking at data from quals we discovered that induction temps were too low. A few minor tweeks to the adi system that I did seemed to fix it. After last nights test flight we showed quite a jump in hp. A few more today and we should be in the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
              After looking at data from quals we discovered that induction temps were too low. A few minor tweeks to the adi system that I did seemed to fix it. After last nights test flight we showed quite a jump in hp. A few more today and we should be in the hunt.
              You guys are already in the hunt!!

Glad to see you located a few more ponies!

Comment

Thanks Wild Bill. That is great news! Is 440 too slow to get a feel for how the wing tips/length and other mods are going to translate into more speed once the hp is there? How does Thom feel about his racing line? Is the new course easy to figure out?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                  Awesome Mike! It was nice to finally meet you and chat for a bit with you the other day (Tuesday) Hoping everything will go great with PM and the team, a podium finish would be great. To hell with that, just win baby! P.S. I told my wife that I finally met the guy that dropped off the programs in our garage a few years ago, so now she's OK with it.......LOL!
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

I can't find Precious Metal in the pits?
                    Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X