Precious Metals Current Situation...Hope They Make It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metals Current Situation...Hope They Make It

Very bummed to hear about Precious Metals issues...I am sure we are all holding our breath in hopes that they can get the "ferry" engine on and still make the show...I wonder if that's the engine that pushed her to 463 last year?...With the clean up and airframe mods she would still be fast and fun to watch...Right?!?!?!?...Besides we need that teams energy in the pit!
    Last edited by johnnyrace; 09-03-2013, 11:31 PM.

Re: Precious Metals Current Situation...Hope They Make It

I'm guessing, since there is a very limited supply of Griffon race motors lying around that it is the 2012 race motor. Like you said, 463 last yr and the plane is a lot slicker this year. If Thom is willing to run the same power settings as last year there is no telling how fast she can go. 470 plus? Still a podium finish is possible with attrition to the rest of the field. Breitling is the title sponsor and PM is their featured plane. I think the crew is very motivated to bring her to Reno. I think it will happen.

Comment

I think if they had an army of minions begging pennies for funding and no sponsor whatsoever they would still be at the top of the motivation list.
      Thom and his guys are a class act and no matter what it's gonna be great to see them this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        I think if they had an army of minions begging pennies for funding and no sponsor whatsoever they would still be at the top of the motivation list.
        Thom and his guys are a class act and no matter what it's gonna be great to see them this year.
        No question in my mind, the Precious Metal guys are the new Rare Bear guys! Not to take anything from my many friends who are and always will be, at least in my mind, THE Rare Bear guys..

Thom, WBK... all of you guys, you have just really ingrained yourselves into the collective fan heart that is RENO... There's so much positive energy flowing your way from all over this country and beyond... not sure you'll need any engine to get there... you might just be able to ride the wave!

We're pulling for you!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Running last year's engine at last year's power setting would be quite interesting. It would give great insight into the gains from the "other" mods. I'd still prefer to see them with the race motor and on the podium.

Is there any possibility that they can get there and qualify with the stock engine, get the race engine repaired and shipped out and then swap during the week?
          Sky Critter

Comment

My best guess would be that they have no idea at this point as to what went wrong. I am assuming that metal was found in the screens which means that if they had the parts to repair it would still require a complete teardown to avoid the risk of contaminating the "fixed" motor. To quote Mr. Dawson when he lost a cylinder in 2009 and we were discussing doing a cylinder change "They've all been to the same party"

Comment

Hey Thom and Crew,

Your trip across country last year was a nail biter for us all. Judging by what you all have done this year some good luck is in order.

Close your eyes for a second and I bet you can hear the entire Section 3 crowd chanting:

Go PM Go
              Go PM Go
              Go PM Go
              Go PM Go
              Go PM Go

Comment

Ya'll have me very emotional right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                  Ya'll have me very emotional right now.
                  Wait til we are all lined up at your pit with Beers and Hugs..........

Comment

To quote Mr. Dawson when he lost a cylinder in 2009 and we were discussing doing a cylinder change "They've all been to the same party"
                    Yeah, that's just an update of Dave Zeuschel's "Those girls all danced with the same guy...what makes you think they don't have the same thing?"

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      Yeah, that's just an update of Dave Zeuschel's "Those girls all danced with the same guy...what makes you think they don't have the same thing?"
                      So you're saying that somehow a Texan modified a phrase to be PC.

I think the earth is going to stop spinning...........................

Comment

If they have a usable motor the change can certainly be done fairly quickly...Those guys already have been putting in unbelievably long hours ( as all crews do) but this is above and beyond...If they do still manage to make it they will already be winners as far as the fans are concerned... I for one will spend all my merchandise money in the Precious Metal pit.

Comment

As a racer myself I can just imagine the frustrations and emotions running rampant through the PM crew.
                          The unlimiteds have but one show a year.
                          To put forth such effort and have a major issue this late in the game must be almost unbearable.
                          I would bet a few shop garbage cans got the boot!
                          I have faith that Thom and the crew will get PM there some how.
                          As their #1 Canadian fan, I wish I was closer and able to lend a hand.
                          We are all pulling for you!
                          With all of this years mods, I am sure Thom could qualify top 5 with Briggs & Stratton power in PM.
                          Good luck, stay safe and we'll see you at Stead soon!
                          sigpic

Comment

This is sad news. However, remember if you will the fate of Jeannie in '81? She was in a corn field and a week-10 days later, she was in the winner's circle. It CAN be done. GO TEAM PM!

Comment

My best guess would be that they have no idea at this point as to what went wrong.
                              The crew mentioned that the main bearing popped.
                              "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
                              -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Working...
                              X