Anyone know the history of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the history of this?

Was perusing the "I can't afford it" section of online classifieds and ran across this-anyone have any info?

Re: Anyone know the history of this?

Mr Awesome has risen! Do a search on this subject; interesting reading

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
      Was perusing the "I can't afford it" section of online classifieds and ran across this-anyone have any info?

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/...11/990244.html
      Ugh. Mr Awful. :P

Google 'Mr Awesome unlimited air racer.' Its a Yak that's run at Reno a few times without much success as 'Frostbite' and 'Mr Awesome.' 3350 powered with PRTs in place, and far too small a prop to use 3350 power effectively. Czech Mate and Steadfast have been much more successful and are just better balanced modifications based on that basic airframe.

Comment

Thanks! I did some searching, that plane (at least in its original form) sounded like a handful. Interesting story for sure.

Comment

I recall reading somewhere, Art Vance referring to it as "that really ugly Yak".

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
            Ugh. Mr Awful. :P

Google 'Mr Awesome unlimited air racer.' Its a Yak that's run at Reno a few times without much success as 'Frostbite' and 'Mr Awesome.' 3350 powered with PRTs in place, and far too small a prop to use 3350 power effectively. Czech Mate and Steadfast have been much more successful and are just better balanced modifications based on that basic airframe.
            It never ran as Frostbite. Nor did it run as Red Heat..which is after Roger Van Grote bought it from Greenamyer after it crashed in '89.

It ran one heat race in 1988 before Skip parked it for lateral stability problems that had nothing to do with the propeller.

After the T-33 tail mods in '89 it crashed on takeoff for qualifying/practice on the Tuesday of Reno. Has never been airborne again.

So to say it wasn't up to snuff with Czech Mate or Steadfast is kind of unfair. It has a grand total of about 15 laps around the course at Reno on the airframe. That's not nearly enough time to make that kind of statement.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Throw a 2800 on that thing and go racing. Still the gear is too shkrt to put a prop that would do any good.

Comment

Hey, a project for someone that wanted to go unlimited air racing on the relatively cheap.

Comment

Working...
                X