Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do YOU do Reno???

How do I get to Stead I asked in 1974.
    That came about because of my love for engines and airplanes. As they say, I was in the right place at the right time with the right attitude. However its a real love/hate relationship. I love the friends and people, the challenge to do better and faster each year, to be able to see and hear an engine I got to work on in the air. Sometimes to win. Sometimes to weep over the terrible price it can cost.
    I hate:
    The cost in relationships, time and money. Having the final say on the go fly or not. Looking at the filters or whatever and making a life or death decision. That this is combat and we fly a mission every day. And every night we patch up whatever they bring back.
    I love the deep friendships that come out of the long nights of getting ready for tomorrow. Of being friends with some of the legends of aviation and the wars. Getting there and seeing old friends but seeing time running out for them. Going from guy talk to hearing about families, and children and then Grandchildren. Being on the ramp as the engine is warmed up while the sun is still below the hills. Being in the pre-dawn light while the plane is in the sunlight and making the valley shake with it thunder. Seeeing a clean belly and exhaust stacks when the plane lands. The look on the pilots face that says it all. Checking spark plugs after the flight or race and their witness that we nailed it. Walking the ramp with my life partner and wife of 40 years. Who has been with me for it all.
    I go because I have been blessed beyond belief.
    MN

Comment

I do Reno because I am smart. I'm a gearhead pilot addicted to airplanes and all that implies. You all know what I mean 'cause you have all been there, that place, that drama, that sound that, that, energy. That sound, man....that sound I can't get anywhere else in the world. That sound. I'm so lucky 'cause I get to sleep every night on the field. I awake in the morning to the buzzing of the F1's and bipes then get lured to sleep, by the late night Merlin runs on the tarmac. It's like, it's like.....Heaven.
      Last edited by planecrazy2; 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM.
      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

My Dad first came to Reno in 1971 with my Mom that was there wedding aniversary i was too young yet to come i think i didnt come till 72 or later and in 1974 my dad became one of the founding membere of the National Air Racing Group and in 1976 John Tegler contaced my dad to do some work for him and got him on press after that he has been on press every sinse for me in 1981 i got to used my dads old 35 mm camera and got to used it that year got my first pictures in the Nag Rag

and few years later i got my press pass and been on press every sinse so this is my 33rd year as a freelance photographer . shawn

Comment

Wish I knew how to insert quotes. Thanks Mike Nixon for sharing your insights as a participant. Best post I've read in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampman View Post
            Wish I knew how to insert quotes. Thanks Mike Nixon for sharing your insights as a participant. Best post I've read in a long time.
            Super simple, the "Reply With A Quote" button is at the bottom right corner of every post.

The issue that some posters have when editing some of the originally quoted text, is not making sure ALL 4 brackets and their contents remain intact.

Edit the quoted message text as you want, just leave bracketed code at the beginning and end of the quote intact.

I find it also helps to "Preview Post" before you "Submit Reply" it to make sure you like it first.

Don

Comment

The first airplane model I ever bought was a set with a P-51 and P-39 rounding a pylon. It was a gift for my best friend's birthday, but I still remember it well.

I was one of those little kids who just never outgrew the fascination with airplanes ("air-panes" in kid parlance). Some of that might have been due to the crop dusters that frequented the fields near home. Back then, they were all piston powered and were primarily Grumman Ag-Cats.

My first trip to Reno was in 1980 and I've only missed 4 years since. If I had the funds, I'd love to participate in Formula 1s or the Sport Class.

Some of my all time favorite people have been the friends that I've met at Reno. If the races ended, I'd find a way to get together with them, somehow, someway. They're great people and I'm lucky to know them.

I've tried to explain the event to others, but I usually caution it with the explanation that some things just have to be experienced. The roar and growl of the unlimiteds at full song gives me the chills every time. I sure miss the rumble of the 3 bladed prop on Rare Bear.

These days, I drive a pair of Rolls Royce engines at work, but they're of the newer turbine type (RB211s). I'd jump at the chance to strap myself to an older technology Merlin (or PW R-2800, Wright 3350, etc.) powered beast.

So I come for the friends - they're family now - and the sounds and sights of the races. And I'll keep coming as long as the races are held.

One more thing - the first weekend my girlfriend (now fiancee) and I ever spent together was at the races. She's clearly a keeper as her first day ever of air racing ended with the Leeward accident, but she came back last year. And she'll be there again this year.

Years ago, I decided that I want my ashes to be spread at the Reno finish line. I bet that most on this board can understand that request.
              Last edited by FlyKidChris; 09-04-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

when I was an infant, my parents said I slept thru the A Production thunder of Corvettes and Cobras taking the green flag. At 58, the roar of those big warbirds give me a natural high! They give me energy! Energy that Redbull can't touch. I live in Reno and last year I camped out at the church. Kind of funny but I wanted to keep the vibe alive for a solid 24 hrs. I walked into the pits at night and got to experience Tiger being Tiger. Just me, two other fans and Tiger standing outside the Strega pit. It was like having Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda or AJ Foyt sharing their racing stories in my living room. I had to pinch myself afterwards to see if I was dreaming. Priceless! What makes Reno special, more so than Indy or LeMans is that it is the only venue of its kind in the world and that the racing equipment is old but so damn fast! As an older guy, it gives me inspiration, it tells me that being old does not necessarily mean you have to give up...you can keep chasing speed for a lot longer than most people think. Reno is RESPECT! Respect for the money and time spent and having the guts to put it all on the line.

Comment

As another "Older" guy, could not have said it any better.

Comment

Why do YOU do Reno???
                    For the same reason an alcoholic drinks.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I like the refreshments.

Comment

2 reasons, to hear a Merlin puffed up at race power, there is nothing like it in the world. They are a wonderful machine and they make such nice music. Second, the camaraderie with the crew. In the last few years we raced RR & Dago, we had a close knit, very tight group of people. We had worked together for long enough that we just knew what was needed. Some of the best friendships I've made have been working on these persnickety, cantankerous racers. There are so many things involved in the Reno experience that there are almost two completely different worlds up there. The day to day build up of the emotions, the farther in the week you go the harder it gets. Everyone is tired from not only Reno, but the run up to Reno. The various engine shops doing their engines, the people involved on working on the airplane's to get them ready. For us, it was a 3 month deal to get to the race. We had a lot of things to change over on the airplane (RR). To see it all come together was quite a deal. But, at the end of the day, it's the crew and the people involved to make it all play that matter. We had good times and not so good times. Reno is a place of high high's, but it can also bring devastating lows. None the less, the "crew" get's through it all and lifelong bonds are formed. We all work together as a group to support the pilot and the airplane for a once a year adventure like none other in the world.
                        Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                        X