A Sea Fury Fan's Lament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Sea Fury Fan's Lament

Now that you mention that, I believe your correct. They did take a Griffon 58 case and do the mod work for the 74 wheelcase and blower latch up.......

Comment

Bud engines as far as I know were 57/58 case and power section with a 74 blower and crankshaft.

Comment

I reckon your right, I will have to ask Dixon and see when/if they used any 74 power sections. There weren't that many
        74's to begin with. If I recall the 2 stage engine's were the 65 & 74. I am aware of about 2 Griffon 74's at this time. That stuff was very difficult to find when they did the RB engines according to how the story goes. If I recall, a Spitfire operating in the UK is a 57/58 case modified with custom nosecase casting for the single prop shaft and the 74 back end.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
          I reckon your right, I will have to ask Dixon and see when/if they used any 74 power sections. There weren't that many
          74's to begin with. If I recall the 2 stage engine's were the 65 & 74. I am aware of about 2 Griffon 74's at this time. That stuff was very difficult to find when they did the RB engines according to how the story goes. If I recall, a Spitfire operating in the UK is a 57/58 case modified with custom nosecase casting for the single prop shaft and the 74 back end.
          Yeah remember my frantic search for an impeller a few years back.

Comment

Working...
          X