Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Course visibility for qualifying/racing. Who makes the decision and how is it made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Course visibility for qualifying/racing. Who makes the decision and how is it made?

With 13 days to qualfying and 15 days to racing, as of today the fire is 23% contained, 187,000 acres/292 square miles burned, 4,100 personnel.

Due to the potential for reduced visiblity from smoke from the CA Rim Fire affecting tbe course, who makes the decision and how is it made whether it is safe to fly the course for qualifying or racing?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-28-2013, 07:44 AM.

Re: Course visibility for qualifying/racing. Who makes the decision and how is it mad

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    With 13 days to qualfying and 15 days to racing, as of today the fire is 23% contained, 187,000 acres/292 square miles burned, 4,100 personnel.

Due to the potential for reduced visiblity from smoke from the CA Rim Fire affecting tbe course, who makes the decision and how is it made whether it is safe to fly the course for qualifying or racing?
    I haven't read the RARA or class requirements, but I seriously doubt any on course activity would take place if the entire course up wasn't clear up to a few thousand feet. FAA VFR requirements Below 10,000 ft. MSL are 3 statute miles visibility, 2000 ft. horizontally from clouds, 1000ft above and 500 ft below clouds.

Comment

Re: Course visibility for qualifying/racing. Who makes the decision and how is it mad

The faa has set minimum visibility rules for vfr flight at 3 miles. Any aircraft arriving at Stead will follow those rules. I suspect those minimums are far lower than what we need for safe racing. There may be minimums written into the use-permit. Dunno. Without any written guidelines for vis. minimum, I think rara will have the final say with the cavet that the faa has the authority to “close” the airspace due to vis. (or any other issue they may come-up with). Period. If they choose to.

Another concern is; are there currently active aircraft fighting this fire based at Stead? Might the they still be using Stead to fight this fire during the scheduled race week?

Anyone know what is the reported vis. at Stead right now?

I think/hope the worst will be over by the time race week starts.
      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

It's pretty smokey now at Stead but in a week with the projected lower temperatures we should be in great shape to have some races.

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
          It's pretty smokey now at Stead but in a week with the projected lower temperatures we should be in great shape to have some races.
          KRTS is currently reporting: 28-Aug 10:00AM VFR Variable 3kts Broken 4,000 6 miles. Smoke.

Comment

A few years back when we had snow flurries on Sunday, they launched an L-39 to fly the course and check visibility. I would imagine it would be a joint decision between the pilots and RARA as long as the course was within VFR conditions. I would also guess that it would be different for each class as their race courses are different.
            Sky Critter

Comment

Its gonna blow out of here by Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                Another concern is; are there currently active aircraft fighting this fire based at Stead? Might the they still be using Stead to fight this fire during the scheduled race week?
                No fire bombers are working the fire out of RTS, they are using FAT,MCC,MER,O22, and SCK. There are only two SEATS and an air attack plane at the base currently.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the minimums are set by the airshow/air race FAA waiver and are not the same as basic VFR. I may have a copy from a few years back if anyone is interested in what they were.
                  Last edited by Skyracer; 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I heard on today's San Francisco radio that they're estimating 3 more weeks until the fire is out. That would be September 18.

Comment

Here is a short panoramic video of the smoke in Reno on August 23. Does that look flyable for the Unlimiteds?

Reno, Nevada is about 150 miles away, 3 hour or so drive from Yosemite National Park in California. The "Rim Fire" from near Yosemite is carrying thick smoke...
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I was in Stead today. Racing would have been a go. Relax man.
                        "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Sure hope the weather model is right....I remember one smoky day early in the raceweek a number of years back...
                          Odd Sunrise over Spokane today due to the smoke from the fire....you could actually look at the sun as the Jetstream
                          brought so much smoke north...

Comment

One of the jets was up this afternoon for couple hours.

The sounds of the races will grace our skies soon.

Comment

Beautiful racing conditions, good clear photography air at Stead elevation and racing altitudes therein, upper elevation smoke causing amazing sunsets early week, clearing to severe (bring your sun screen) clear, very warm, GOOD BEER SALES days for main days of event! Oh yea... I forgot, a touch of puffy clouds in the afternoons for background for photogs..

Not from the same planet as the Alien, no extraterrestrial connections but, I do have a couple ancestral connections..

That's the "werd".....

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X