Thunder Mustang Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunder Mustang Article

Happy Friday I own the Thunder Mustang in the article that started this thread and I can only tell you it's an amazing airplane to fly, fast and light on the controls, and fuel burn in cruise makes it a great cross country airplane if you don't need to take a ton of luggage After going through the engine myself as a 40 year engine builder it's been totally reliable and I have over 400 hours on it now. It's a complex airplane so I can't see it being built for much less than they're going for now on the current market, but there has been talk by the kit builder to provide "quick build" kits in various stages of pre-assembly to make the build time less intense. The aviation market is rather flat right now so it may be awhile before production actually starts, but my understanding is that they will come back at some point. You really need to experience being in a Thunder to totally understand what they are all about ~ mine sure makes me smile ~

See you all at Reno in a couple of weeks

Cloudchaser 427 ~ Solo

Comment

i agree with everything said Mr solo...
      i spend a good amount of time at parkers drooling on all the thunders but 290,000 might as well be 1,000,000 at this point in my life.
      my original thought process in this discussion was, i think i can do someting similar for less upfront money on my own.
      think gp5 or similar
      Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427 View Post
        Happy Friday I own the Thunder Mustang in the article that started this thread and I can only tell you it's an amazing airplane to fly, fast and light on the controls, and fuel burn in cruise makes it a great cross country airplane if you don't need to take a ton of luggage After going through the engine myself as a 40 year engine builder it's been totally reliable and I have over 400 hours on it now. It's a complex airplane so I can't see it being built for much less than they're going for now on the current market, but there has been talk by the kit builder to provide "quick build" kits in various stages of pre-assembly to make the build time less intense. The aviation market is rather flat right now so it may be awhile before production actually starts, but my understanding is that they will come back at some point. You really need to experience being in a Thunder to totally understand what they are all about ~ mine sure makes me smile ~

Cloudchaser 427 ~ Solo
        You should go set a new time to climb record with it....sounds like it would either do it, or come damn close...

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
          i agree with everything said Mr solo...
          i spend a good amount of time at parkers drooling on all the thunders but 290,000 might as well be 1,000,000 at this point in my life.
          my original thought process in this discussion was, i think i can do someting similar for less upfront money on my own.
          think gp5 or similar
          Well. I'll start by saying that I am a fan of the Thunder Mustang. There are lower priced alternatives out there though, regarding single seat or tandem "fighter flavor" designs. My company (disclaimer!) offers one of these alternatives. Our goal for the P85 program is to enable a builder to put one on the flight line for $100K or less expenditure for all parts, including firewall forward, avionics, paint, etc. Small block V8 power "Do it Yourself" for sure. This is the e-glass/carbon airframe good for about 300 knots Vne (similar to the Glasair III). An optional all carbon airframe would be good for 450+ knots Vne/1000HP and would add about $20 K to the kit cost. Retract gear is also an option for about $12K more.

I am also a big fan of the GP5. In fact George P graciously offered us the GP5 style strut design many years ago - It is simple. low cost, low maintenance and very effective. Thanks again George!

Looking forward to seeing the TM, GP5 and all the other Sport Class racers in a few weeks.

Jeff Ackland

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Ackland View Post
            Well. I'll start by saying that I am a fan of the Thunder Mustang. There are lower priced alternatives out there though, regarding single seat or tandem "fighter flavor" designs. My company (disclaimer!) offers one of these alternatives. Our goal for the P85 program is to enable a builder to put one on the flight line for $100K or less expenditure for all parts, including firewall forward, avionics, paint, etc. Small block V8 power "Do it Yourself" for sure. This is the e-glass/carbon airframe good for about 300 knots Vne (similar to the Glasair III). An optional all carbon airframe would be good for 450+ knots Vne/1000HP and would add about $20 K to the kit cost. Retract gear is also an option for about $12K more.

I am also a big fan of the GP5. In fact George P graciously offered us the GP5 style strut design many years ago - It is simple. low cost, low maintenance and very effective. Thanks again George!

Looking forward to seeing the TM, GP5 and all the other Sport Class racers in a few weeks.

Jeff Ackland
            Gosh sounds like a fun ride Jeff, have you actually seen those speeds you mentioned above with the landing gear sticking out in the wind ? Hard to imagine but is rather impressive Sounds like a potential sport class racer if she goes even faster with the gear sucked up See you in Reno, stop by Parkers hangar and say hello to us TM guys

Comment

what are you using for a gearbox on the v8?
              the radial rocket is a really sweet Bird! with retractable gear and a little more hp, could be pretty Fast!
              Todd Smith

Comment

Gosh sounds like a fun ride Jeff, have you actually seen those speeds you mentioned above with the landing gear sticking out in the wind ? Hard to imagine but is rather impressive Sounds like a potential sport class racer if she goes even faster with the gear sucked up See you in Reno, stop by Parkers hangar and say hello to us TM guys
                The first P85 has yet to fly / is well along in construction, so the proof will be in the flying. The Vne speeds mentioned in my post represent the level of engineering designed into the structure for purposes of max permitted speed. Different than Vmax level speed at full power. No doubt that fixed gear vs retract certainly requires more horsepower for any speed. For the P85 with fixed gear, a 380 hp small block engine (normally aspirated and rated at sea level) noodles out to a projected top speed of about 270 mph at 7500 ft msl. 540 hp big block should be 300+ mph at the same altitude. Retract the gear on the P85 and the FP drag should be about the same (maybe more/maybe less) as the V8 Legend. The CAFE foundation measured the V8 Legend Vmax at 315 mph at 6000 ft density altitude. This was on a big block engine making an estimated 520 hp at sea level / 420 hp at 6000 ft density altitude. Optional P85 carbon layup schedule is engineered for 1000 hp loads into the fuselage. Plug enough hp into the Thunder Mustang or P85 and your going to go fast! Having said this, our central focus with the P85 is on a 275-300 mph lap capable ship built from a kit that gives the builder the option to balance $/work. Not a snap together kit, not a plans built - somewhere in between.

Thanks for the invitation - I'll stop by John's hangar to say hello and look at those beautiful TM's!.

Jeff

Comment

the radial rocket is a really sweet Bird! with retractable gear and a little more hp, could be pretty Fast!
                  Todd,

We have selected a two gear/single mesh box for our first P85. Turns the prop "backwards" but no problem with the Catto FP prop we have on order (and - I have been flying the backwards turning M-14 in the Radial Rocket for 8 years so I should be used to it - what the heck - step on the ball!). I want to get some run time on the box before I say much more about it.

The most recent Rocket RG I have been flying will do an honest 275+ mph tas at full power/8500 ft density altitude. This is with a 400 HP M-14 PF modified with Barrett Performance Engines fuel injection and electronic ignition. I think this is fairly fast for anything with an M-14 engine bolted to it.

Jeff

Comment

Todd,

We have selected a two gear/single mesh box for our first P85. Turns the prop "backwards" but no problem with the Catto FP prop we have on order (and - I have been flying the backwards turning M-14 in the Radial Rocket for 8 years so I should be used to it - what the heck - step on the ball!). I want to get some run time on the box before I say much more about it.

The most recent Rocket RG I have been flying will do an honest 275+ mph tas at full power/8500 ft density altitude. This is with a 400 HP M-14 PF modified with Barrett Performance Engines fuel injection and electronic ignition. I think this is fairly fast for anything with an M-14 engine bolted to it.

Jeff

Comment

Cloudchaser 427 ~ Solo
                      Beautiful mustang! BTW do you know what Dan Denney is up to these days?
                      Random Air Blog

Comment

Thank you for the compliment Samual ~
                        I have no contact with Dan Denney and he's been very quiet ~

Comment

Here is a neat video with Dan Denny, Ryan Falconer, Gary Hubler, and Dave Morss

Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X