Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the CA Rim Fire affect Qualifying or Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the CA Rim Fire affect Qualifying or Racing?

The CA Rim Fire is currently 134,000 acres/209 square miles, 7% contained as of August 25, smoke moving North East. There is 15 days to qualifying and 18 days to racing. Do you think the smoke from the Rim Fire will affect the visibility for qualifying or racing where they will have to cancel the races?

Rim Fire link: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-26-2013, 12:04 AM.

Re: Will the CA Rim Fire affect Qualifying or Racing?

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    The CA Rim Fire is currently 134,000 acres/209 square miles, 7% contained as of August 25, smoke moving North East. There is 15 days to qualifying and 18 days to racing. Do you think the smoke from the Rim Fire will affect the visibility for qualifying or racing where they will have to cancel the races?

Rim Fire link: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/
    Winds and how successful the firefighters are will determine the answer to your question...I saw an interview with a firefighter on the news and he said it could be a month or more before they get the fire contained...I drove through Reno today and if Stead has smoke in the air like Reno did today there would be no way to race...But conditions will change and we have 15 days for things to get better so lets hope for the best.

Comment

It's pretty damn aweful right now. I'm hoping for some serious nor-easters right about now.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a online archived record which shows the weather conditions, air temperature, wind speed, visibility for the Reno Air Races?

Have the Races ever been delayed/cancelled due to smoke from a forest fire?
        Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-26-2013, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
          It's pretty damn aweful right now. I'm hoping for some serious nor-easters right about now.
          The same winds the Air Races need to blow the smoke away are the same winds that would make the fire conditions worse, that is dry hot winds from the North/North East.
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-26-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Too much worrying causes hair loss and constipation among other things. Weather will be awesome.

Once the low thats been over California moves out of here all will be good.

I'm predicting perfect weather for the Air Races. Bring your sun screen.

Comment

Here's a pic from the Golden Valley exit, looking NW. I know its an awful pic but, usually you can see Red Rock just fine.

I'm done hoping for improved fire condition weather. That thing is making its own weather and I'm sick of eating smoke. Blow wind, blow.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Fence Sence; 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

The sky is falling....the sky is falling.....

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                  Does anyone know if there is a online archived record which shows the weather conditions, air temperature, wind speed, visibility for the Reno Air Races?

Have the Races ever been delayed/cancelled due to smoke from a forest fire?
                  weatherunderground.com has that information. Try this for today, or any other past day.

Comment

All the best in stemming that wildfire guys, we can empathise, getting some bad ones here, down-under..

Comment

I ve been going to the races since 1976. I don't recall an issue with smoke. I ve seen rain, snow, hail, dust, crazy winds, locusts and other plauges but, never smoke.

If the smoke remains as it has for the last few days there is no way a race could take place. But, I will remain optimistic. Many things can and will change in the next two weeks.
                      Last edited by nevadasky; 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X