The Pope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pope

EAA Founder Paul "The Pope" Poberezny passed away at 91 this morning after battling cancer.

In addition to single-handedly envisioning and creating the EAA, he was also an Unlimited pilot--having raced John Dilley's "Lou IV" at Reno '78, as well as his own "Paul I" (the ex-Bob Love Cavalier now at the EAA Museum) at Miami '79 and Reno '79.

I hope I live to his age and accomplish a fraction as much as he lived his life.

Re: The Pope

Another Great is Gone,

Blue Skies and Tailwinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      EAA Founder Paul "The Pope" Poberezny passed away at 91 this morning after battling cancer.

In addition to single-handedly envisioning and creating the EAA, he was also an Unlimited pilot--having raced John Dilley's "Lou IV" at Reno '78, as well as his own "Paul I" (the ex-Bob Love Cavalier now at the EAA Museum) at Miami '79 and Reno '79.

I hope I live to his age and accomplish a fraction as much as he lived his life.
      A great man that will forever be missed.
      Blue Skies and Tailwinds!

Comment

A true aviation pioneer.

Blue skies.
        Sky Critter

Comment

Very said, the man did a lot for private aviation in his life time. Thanks, KC

Comment

His passing is a great loss. Can you think of any one man that has had a greater impact on aviation the last 50 years?

Blue skies and fair winds, Paul.

Comment

According to Flying magazine, in the top 51 heroes of aviation, he was #4. Behind Neil Armstrong, the Wrights, and Lindbergh. I concur. Blue skies Paul.

Comment

Another great for aviation gone "Blue Skies" Paul.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

We all owe this guy and his family for what they have done for GA.

On behalf of every pilot in the whole bloody world, We salute you Paul. You won't have to earn your wings in heaven, you already earned them with your efforts here on earth.

Cheers to a great visionary!
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                    We all owe this guy and his family for what they have done for GA.

On behalf of every pilot in the whole bloody world, We salute you Paul. You won't have to earn your wings in heaven, you already earned them with your efforts here on earth.

Cheers to a great visionary!
                    Well said! CHEERS!
                    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

One of the most down to earth, genuine person I ever had the privilege to talk to at Reno.

Comment

Hello All,
                        It is a yet another sad day for aviation. Not only did he race, but Paul had a very close relationship with, and was a huge supporter of the Reno races. For many many years Paul served as the anchor for the contest committee during race week. It was great to see his smiling face in the morning briefings. It was Paul that dispatched another Great man, the late Jack Cox to Reno every year to cover the races for EAA's Sport Aviation magazine, and Sportsman Pilot Magazine. The only mags that really covered the races. Paul did wonderful things for home building, kit aircraft, that lead to the racers we see tearing around the pylons. The world needs more Paul Poberezny's. Good Luck to all in Reno, BE SAFE OUT THERE!

Jon and Patrica Sharp
                        Nemenoids

Comment

Working...
                        X