Flying into KRNO for the Air Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying into KRNO for the Air Races

Any Reno locals with KRNO advice for Race Fans? My plan is to fly the RV down Friday (13th) in the AM and depart Monday morning.

I've talked to a couple people who have done it, just not in the last couple of years. I'll be coming from the North and am aware of the MOA's, Stead TFR, Class C, Glider Ops, etc. Just wondering if there's a route that works best with the controllers.

Also once on the ground which FBO typically takes care of parking for Air Race fans? I've heard tie downs are tough to find and I've heard they set up a big rope in the gravel / dirt. (not sure what they're doing this year) I suspect there's an overnight charge?

Anyway just looking for some advice. I'm getting pretty excited for the races!!!

Re: Flying into KRNO for the Air Races

Consider Truckee as well. Plenty of room, rental cars available, 45 minutes from Stead.

Comment

We fly into Carson Airport and park at El Aero South and then pick up the rental and then head to the air races. You don't have the traffic at Reno plus the tie down fee's are lesser and the fuel cost is less if you fuel your aircraft yourself.

Comment

I'll plug my brother's airport. Minden is a great little airport, not too far from Reno, and they have one helluvan operations manager!

I've been told that KRNO really puts it to 'ya during air race week.

Comment

Truckee is a great airport, very friendly FBO staff!
          sigpic

Comment

#1 for Carson City, been flying out to the races since 1974. Have used Truckee several times, South Lake Tahoe, many, many times, Reno-Tahoe, many times and Carson many times, have been going into Carson the last 10 years. We've been raped at Reno-Tahoe to many times, poor tie downs, steep fees on tie downs and fuel prices and we won't even talk about rental car prices there. The FBO at south shore went down the tubes long ago, were charging $6.00 bucks a gallon when it should have been under $4.00, high tie downs and we don't give a damn whether you land here or not. Don't know if they have changed with the newer fbo owners. In the years we did Truckee, little to no rental cars, old junk. I hear that may have changed these days, been a long time since we used Truckee. Carson is a great airport and we can't say enough good things about the El Aero FBO operation, clean, good people and the north FBO building is a newer building. We have them fuel our planes with their truck and we don't pay a tie down fee. We always got a good price on car rentals from Enterprise in Carson up until the last five years, They finally got smart and started charging what they could get at Reno-Tahoe during the air race. We used to rent a 15 pass van for $300.00 a week, now close to $1,200. we go thru Orbitz and get great rental rates.
            Ron

Comment

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. Ya KRNO is pretty steep, I called the FBO and it's something to the tune of $25 per night for tie down, a $25 event charge, and a $40 convenience charge. Not to mention expensive 100LL. ($7.09)

I talked to Silver Springs and they were super nice and charged just $5 per night tie down and fuel is cheap. ($5.55)

The only issue I have with Silver Springs, Truckee, or Carson is getting to Sparks where our hotel is. I was planning on utilizing either public transportation or the coach bus to get back and forth to Stead. Didn't really want to do the rental car thing as I like to enjoy a beer or 2 after the races.

Bottom line is I could almost get a limo to Sparks for the amount I'd save avoiding KRNO.

Thanks again,
              Last edited by boom3; 08-25-2013, 08:33 PM.
              Jeff

Comment

KRNO hates GA except for 2 weeks in September.

There is bus service between Carson City and Reno. I don't much about it. here is the web site

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X