Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has an R-4360 ever been hung on the nose of a Bearcat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has an R-4360 ever been hung on the nose of a Bearcat?

If it could be done, it would certainly be interesting to see how it would perform...but I've never heard of it being done...

Re: Has an R-4360 ever been hung on the nose of a Bearcat?

Would the fuselage have to be lengthened to compensate for extra weight (a roughly 60% larger engine)? Seems like an awfully short aircraft to hang that long corncob on. Just my initial guess.
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
      Would the fuselage have to be lengthened to compensate for extra weight (a roughly 60% larger engine)? Seems like an awfully short aircraft to hang that long corncob on. Just my initial guess.
      At one point 'The Man' did a feasibility study on mounting one on The Bear. Just wouldn't have worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        At one point 'The Man' did a feasibility study on mounting one on The Bear. Just wouldn't have worked.
        Several years ago, I heard about a 4360 Bearcat project that had been studied by Charlie Beck. I don't know any of the details and never saw any of the plans, so please take it for what it's worth.

Comment

I would think the Sea Fury has a large enough airframe to handle one, and that would be something see too!

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
            I would think the Sea Fury has a large enough airframe to handle one, and that would be something see too!

Uh....seriously? You do know that both Dreadnought and Furias have 4360s right?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                Uh....seriously? You do know that both Dreadnought and Furias have 4360s right?
                No, I didn't...I thought they all had 3350s in them..certainly makes sense though...

Comment

DAGO RED!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                    DAGO RED!
                    Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                      DAGO RED!

Comment

No, I didn't...I thought they all had 3350s in them..certainly makes sense though...
                        Dreadnought was built up with a 4360 in the 80s and actually pre-dates most, if not all, of the 3350 Sea Fury conversions. Here's the business end:

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                          Dreadnought was built up with a 4360 in the 80s and actually pre-dates most, if not all, of the 3350 Sea Fury conversions. Here's the business end:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3059/2...599ab380_z.jpg
                          George Baker was the first to put a -3350 on a Sea Fury in 1986 (that airplane is now Sawbones). Blind Man's Bluff came next in '87, Cottonmouth in '88, Howards' Fury in '89....and then practically every Sea Fury in the world.

What convinced Frank S. to put the -4360 on the front of Dreadnought was when he flew 'chase' for the Super Corsair in 924 shortly before Reno '82....and Jim Maloney ran off and hid from the Centaurus-powered Sea Fury. Frank figured that the stock Sea Fury is faster than a stock F4U, so..........the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                            George Baker was the first to put a -3350 on a Sea Fury in 1986 (that airplane is now Sawbones). Blind Man's Bluff came next in '87, Cottonmouth in '88, Howards' Fury in '89....and then practically every Sea Fury in the world.

What convinced Frank S. to put the -4360 on the front of Dreadnought was when he flew 'chase' for the Super Corsair in 924 shortly before Reno '82....and Jim Maloney ran off and hid from the Centaurus-powered Sea Fury. Frank figured that the stock Sea Fury is faster than a stock F4U, so..........the rest is history.
                            Yes.. Very impressive work on that Corsair, for the boys at Chino to put together a Gold Champion, from a relic, in short order!

Comment

Was the huge corn-cob really worth the effort?

The B-36 needed it for sure [ "6 turnin' & 4 burnin' "]

But did the military Jug [XP-72] or Corsair truly benefit from that fat log? Not really..

So maybe the race-jobs did.. or was it just a matter of max cubic inches for the buck - when all said & done?

& yet.. I guess we'll see..

Comment

Working...
                              X