Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo

This was my first trip to Reno. I went over and had a look at a plane called Voodoo after Sunday Gold. What a shame. They were running so good all week. Apparently the pilot Matt Jackson cut the rods out of her on the start of lap two. He did an excellent job of getting her down without a scratch. It amazes me how these guys act like its no big deal. When I asked Matt how do you land a broken racer? he just laughed and said " Just like any other broken plane carefully, what other choice do you have?" I did not realize the gravity of loosing the engine. I crawled up and looked inside the cockpit the floor boards were covered in oil. I asked Matt about it and all he said was "the oil helps lubricate his shoes". Are these guys nuts or what? Anyway I hope Voodoo comes back next year it really is a colorful and exciting plane to watch. Good Luck!!!!

Not enough can be said for these guys (and a few gals). I have a challenge for everyone who isn't a pilot already. Go to: beapilot.com, get the cupon for an introductory flight. It's a cheap plane ride if nothing else. Go try to land a Cessna 150 that's working properly, and you'll see how hard THAT is to do. Then think about landing a much heavier, much faster, taildragger with no power and a stiff crosswind (18 knots with gusts up to 22 like at Reno on Sunday) and you'll have a new appreciation for the talent these racers have!

Race 29
    Hey, I can see my house from here!
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I flew gliders for many hours where every landing was deadstick. But I had time to plan each approach and landing carefully, it was part of the drill. and my aircraft was made for it, with a great glide ratio. Doing that with a cockpit full of smoke, fumes or oil in a gliding brick is something you could'nt pay me enough to do. These dudes and dudettes do it for FUN.
      I watched Skip blow an engine at pylon 8 in Jeannie in 82. He staightened out over the runway pulled it over in a sorta loop, dropped the gear on the down swing and planted it. Most of us would have died.
      I have nothing but respect and admiration for the skills those pilot posess and wish I had a fraction of they're "stuff".

Leo
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
      X