Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P 38 Race limitations.

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
    a better starting point, would be to start from scratch...
    Exactly...

- Joseph

Comment

Which while very cool looking, begs (to me) the question, why? All those intersections, two engines to maintain (and fail) and all the complications inherent with double systems for fuel, adi, etc., etc.. Something has to have been learned from the Pond Racer, valiant try that it was.
      Same with the Tigercat, why try to drag that big thing faster? Besides the coolness factor of two maxed out R-3350's churning away that is.
      If starting from scratch I would go single engine, juuuuust over the weight limit, and the most horsepower I could hang on the nose and still have it go where I pointed it.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I would fully agree with you Leo.... Another Tsunami!

Comment

Or a 'dual-duel' - round mill VS inline match-up..

F-7F VS F-82..

Replica De Havilland Hornet anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
            Exactly...

- Joseph
            Wasn't this tried with the Pond Racer? I liked the concept, but heat caught up with them.

Comment

& I dunno if'd be too keen on those prop tips slicing 'round right about ear level either..

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                Don't know how much faster it would be, but sure would be a noisy SOB.
                Imagine the PM setupx2...
                That's what I was thinking. But with all the extra drag of the Airframe for hanging those two engines out in the breeze....I think my Griffon Powered D0 335 is a better idea....

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
                  That's what I was thinking. But with all the extra drag of the Airframe for hanging those two engines out in the breeze....I think my Griffon Powered D0 335 is a better idea....
                  We actually ran some feasibility numbers on something of that nature several years ago and the problem is in order to have enough fluids to feed both motors, you'd need something even bigger than the 335 airframe.

Comment

Ok then, how difficult would it be do an F-82-style 'Twin-Thunder-Mustang?

Add a brace of Lamborghini 8ltr V12 race mills maybe?

Comment

I'd say the Sea Hornet would be the best replica its the samwe vintage as the sea furies has a compsite wood structure laminar flow wing low drag in wing radiators decent cold air ram intakes etc the big problem is getting the matching 130 and 131 merlins

twin merlins running art 3000 rpm with 25 lbs boost and 110 grade fuel gave 470 mph at altitude

so up the boost on the merlins and the other usual mods you ought to be able to circulate reno at 400 ish.... and BOY what a sound!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                        We actually ran some feasibility numbers on something of that nature several years ago and the problem is in order to have enough fluids to feed both motors, you'd need something even bigger than the 335 airframe.
                        Just go Formula One style....carry just enough fluids to do the race and truck it into the event. I remember a recent thread advocating trucking in Bears and the like...for being such High Strung Racing Machines anyway. Now if only enough time existed in life to do this.....

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          Drop tanks, Speedy. Drop tanks.

Pickle them off on the north end of the course.

Add GoPros so you can get some unique POV stuff a la "Deadliest Catch."

Problem solved.

Comment

Pickle them off on the north end of the course.
                            The FAA would just LOVE that. And the EPA, and just about every other A...
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

A2A 'Pit-stop'?
                              Just have KC 135 on hand..

Comment

Working...
                              X