Don

Comment

Re: From the Wingman archive...

Strega Mark I

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
          Strega Mark I

Oh YES.....old school Strega. Thank's Neal.

I know everyone loves the Strega of today...but just like how early-80's Dago will always be my favorite era, so too goes Strega!

Comment

Can any one here elucidate why the Hoerner wing-tip fell into, and out of, fashion?

Comment

I reckon you could ask Tiger -- by Strega's second race, the concave tip was gone. Here's Strega Mark Ia at Bakersfield...

Comment

Originally posted by tdecibel View Post
                Can any one here elucidate why the Hoerner wing-tip fell into, and out of, fashion?
                Well, honestly the never really were an exact science. And truth be told, they aren't really Hoerner tips. They are Cassidy tips. Hoerner tips are actually drooped downwards and are prevalent on gliders. Why the clipped wings of this type were called that I can't say....but they were designed by Mel Cassidy for Conquest I and copied on Chuck Lyford's Mustang....and about half a dozen other Mustang racers over the next 15 years. But they were kind of a guess at best. It worked well at the time, but as speeds increased they looked for something 'better'.

The stub tips with the fences that were on Specter/LARS/GG and Stiletto were developed by Dave Zeuschel when he clipped the wings further on Jeannie in early 1983...and the exact science behind their design? Dave wanted to come up with a unique design just to see how many other people would copy them the following year. There was no real aerodynamic testing done on them. The 'copy' was what Tiger put on Strega in 1984...a more rounded tip with the fences. That became the popular tip for a while too and was on Mangia Pane, Georgia Mae, Pegasus, and a few others.

In the early '90's Dago had the rounded tips without the fences.

And then about 1992 Mickey Rupp's gang came out with the rounded tip with the upswept end. Rhino sort of had a bastardized version that was much larger with not nearly as tight of an upcurl on the tip. Dago copied those tips in '98. That was copied on Strega in '99 too....but ultimately went back to the rounded tip with the fences which it has now. Voodoo has the same ones.

The fact that there are so many different designs yet none that are specifically faster than another leads me to believe me that there are multiple answers to that question.

Comment

Info much appreciated, thank's Big_Jim!

Comment

The first tested wing tips for the current course will appear in a few weeks.

Comment

No little fences in 1984. It's interesting how wavy and rough that wing looked, before Bill Kerchenfaut...

Comment

There has been much aerodynamic work done in the last couple of decades in the wing-fuselage interface and the wing-tips at mach numbers comparable to today's racers, since that is where airliners operate(albeit without the g-loading) in order to save fuel. Could any of this work "trickle-down"? I'm thinking of NXT-style wingtips.

Comment

Good question.., [& see He 162 wing tips?]

Comment

The tips on Dago in '84 were tested against another set in Colorado that summer. The speed with the stick centered was higher with the test tips but the plane was very hard to turn. The gates eliminate spill air at the ends and then the alerions act like they were longer. When Z and I were building racers we had a large pool of talent to draw from and bounce ideals off of. The guys that built the SR-71 were rather smart on the way air moved etc,

It all comes back to the questions of what do we want to do. Go fast in level, turns or climbs and what trade offs to get there. As you can see on modern airliners, the learning continues.
                            MN

Comment

Originally posted by tdecibel View Post
                              There has been much aerodynamic work done in the last couple of decades in the wing-fuselage interface and the wing-tips at mach numbers comparable to today's racers, since that is where airliners operate(albeit without the g-loading) in order to save fuel. Could any of this work "trickle-down"? I'm thinking of NXT-style wingtips.
                              Not NXT tips but we got some pretty awesome wingtips done that are designed for this course. Blue Foam and Matt Williams built them at Star Aerospace.

Comment

Working...
                              X