Unleashed Speed Mods & Fan Sponsor T-Shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unleashed Speed Mods & Fan Sponsor T-Shirt

So much has happened with Unleashed since last years races. I have made a few speed mods that have showed some good improvements, but sadly I am now out-running the propeller so I don't know what could have been. Oh well..

I figured I would share a couple pics from my projects this year, along with the 2013 Fan Sponsor shirt I have available in my store. If you order before September 1st I can bring the shirt to the races. Or, you can select to have it shipped anytime. First production run starting soon.

Shirts can be purchased here:

Also, I have a few leftover shirts from previous years at a discount for those ineterested.

Now, as for the speed mods, I'll add more as time allows. The major mod is the "beluga belly" as some call it.

Thanks for all your support, it takes every penny for this little 4 cylinder to beat down on some 6 cylinders!
    Tom McNerney
    Unleashed Air Racing

Re: Unleashed Speed Mods & Fan Sponsor T-Shirt

Damn Dudewanarace... Changed locations this evening (gotta keep the bastards guessing! ) so I was just going to read my mail on my "smarter than me phone" and I read this post.. I can't do phone type to save my arse, but I just had to respond to this message.. so I plugged in and turned on.. hummn.. that sort of rings a bell??? (ahh... no.. not going there )

I just want to say thank you! Your effort fielding your airplane is exactly what this sport is about! I don't care if you are flying the fastest you can bring IF1, Biplane, Unlimited or whatever... or the last place airplane in ANY class... (not saying that Dudewanarace is a last place candidate!) I just can't say enough to express my appreciation for what you do! Without the competitive drive that you and your fellow competitors possess, there simply would be no air racing.

Then, on top of that.. you, and some of the other racers take the time to come here throughout the year and share your thoughts and SOME of what you've got going on with this air race news hungry community... THANKS!

Looking forward to seeing you again in a few weeks, I think I finally saved my images from last year.. (unannounced sob story for another time!) I know I have a few of you that are worth looking at!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm sure I'm "over editing" but, in looking at what I wrote, I want it to be understood that when I'm heaping praise on Tom, without writing it but thinking and feeling it, I'm also reeling in wonder at the effort that is required by each and every Reno Air Race team!

I am barely worthy of making coffee for these guys!

Past and Present crew, pilots, officials, fans and everyone else who shares here... THANK YOU! You're the lifeline to a bunch of us!

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
        I totally get it, thanks man. The amazing thing about this year is the sheer speed of the Sport Class. We have more planes entered then we have slots for. a.k.a. Only the top qualifiers make the race. Last year I was in the middle/end of the silver race, and this year I'll just be happy to make the field even with my faster airplane.. Qualifying is going to be critical. It takes a lot to modify this airplane because I am the first to take it this far. Many of the mods have been done to other aircraft, its just trying to make the idea apply to mine and its speeds.

Below defines my modification to the flaps that I think helped for top speed as well. I removed the "Cusp" from the stock flaps found on the NLF-0215 airfoil to increase performance when the flap is "Reflexed" above 0 degrees. The solid black area is what I filled in. That airfoil is just a ballpark trace, not perfect.

And, the modified flap:

Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Negative flaps like a glider...very cool!

Good luck in September! Although the Unlimiteds are the crowd favorites, I find the F1 and Sport classes to be more "interesting" because of all the new innovations coming from people like you. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
            Wayne,
            I totally get it, thanks man. The amazing thing about this year is the sheer speed of the Sport Class. We have more planes entered then we have slots for. a.k.a. Only the top qualifiers make the race. Last year I was in the middle/end of the silver race, and this year I'll just be happy to make the field even with my faster airplane.. Qualifying is going to be critical. It takes a lot to modify this airplane because I am the first to take it this far. Many of the mods have been done to other aircraft, its just trying to make the idea apply to mine and its speeds.

Below defines my modification to the flaps that I think helped for top speed as well. I removed the "Cusp" from the stock flaps found on the NLF-0215 airfoil to increase performance when the flap is "Reflexed" above 0 degrees. The solid black area is what I filled in. That airfoil is just a ballpark trace, not perfect.

And, the modified flap:

Very interesting, Thank you... how does the incidence setting on the horizontal stab interact with the negative flap setting at race speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              Very interesting, Thank you... how does the incidence setting on the horizontal stab interact with the negative flap setting at race speeds?
              Well, the stock airfoil was originally a low speed high lift airfoil. Remember the first Lancair 200 was powered by a Continental O-200. So, we are way above the original idea.

But, having the flaps retract above 0 degrees is stock for all the Lancair 235/320/360's. This picture is a good representation of the stock flaps above 0 degrees at race speed. (Thanks to Neal Nurmi)

So to answer your question, retracting above 0 degrees does change the down wash on the tail, resulting in a different angle of incidence. Sadly my horizontal angle of incidence is not correct, the original builder got it wrong, so my results may be unique for the time being. But, if your trimmed for level flight with the flaps at 0, then raise them to -10, you get a noticeable change in pitch and more nose down trim is required. Also, a bit of a speed increase. The back of the plane seems to settle some as your reducing the forward pitch moment of the wing. Some day when I feel motivated enough I'm going to cut the tail out and re-set it. Sooo not looking forward to that mess. haha

Now, to the modification. When the stock flap is in reflex, the lower skin generates a pretty big step that must be filled, probably causing some sort of turbulence, I would think anyway. So, by filling the "cusp" it reduces that angle and hopefully smooths things out. I expected a more drastic effect on tail incidence, but it was rather small actually. I have been fine tuning what angle is best for speed (0 to -10), but its pretty hard to tell. On the low side of things, stall speed remained almost identical. It was 80 mph indicated with me, wife, and low fuel before the mod. After with me solo and light fuel it was 78 mph indicated. So, pretty much the same in my book. I do feel it changed the required pitch force when flaps are extended, but that may be just in my head. The bottom half of flap extension is just drag anyway it seems..

The major bummer of it all is that with my new beluga belly and this flap modification I have run in to the top of the propeller efficiency. The overall performance gain should not be appropriately measured yet. Now I can increase RPM over the published redline to race rpm and barely gain any speed. Previously any increase in RPM netted more speed. So, as for how fast it will be, we'll have to see in Qualifying!

Tom
              P.S. Buy a shirt! haha
              Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

...amazing what you can do with a glider airfoil. Sounds like you will soon need a new prop...

Comment

Me thinks re-twisting the prop might be worthwhile... That almost happened back in 2006.
                  Scotty G

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty G View Post
                    Me thinks re-twisting the prop might be worthwhile... That almost happened back in 2006.
                    I agree. Although the Hartzell opinion is that the relatively wide tip is causing a shockwave at high helical tip mach. Their solution is swing a bigger prop with the blended airfoil they are making for the RV's now. But, you and I know that is impossible..

What makes me think twist is also part of the problem is this:

If you climb to a wide open throttle manifold pressure of 26", once at speed, the lowest rpm you can govern the prop to is 2550. Hence, the blade is on the stop. That is a twist problem.
                    Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Great Work!!

Thanks for sharing.

-Race 68

Comment

We were able to flight test the parts in primer today. Pretty fun flight with an RV-7 friend of mine. My wife rode shotgun and got these pics.

You can see the tufts on the new mod are relatively straight. The same area before the mod had ALL tufts 30-45 degrees angled up. So, big improvement! All but that last little guy on the top row. Apparently it was just limp the entire flight. Kinda surprising.. But, the tuft in front of it had started to peel the tape, so it may be stock in a pocket of air..

Also tested new nose gear door (the little black carbon door in front of the main nose gear door). Worked great. Less cooling exit area and no noticeable change in temps! Notice all the area in primer, that is all new skin, including flaps as noted before.

Had to rebuild the left main gear actuator. Apparently it is working great as it was the second to retract on this takeoff, just after the nose.

Don't forget, if you want a shirt to pick up at Reno, order by the 1st so I have time to print it and take it with me.

Wheel bearings and brakes tomorrow, then some more testing.
                        Tom
                        Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Just saw the Sport 2C heat race on LiveAirshowTV....congrats Tom! Very exciting race. Nice job holding off Morss....I was pulling for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
                            Just saw the Sport 2C heat race on LiveAirshowTV....congrats Tom! Very exciting race. Nice job holding off Morss....I was pulling for you!
                            Thanks! Wait till you see the video! Freakin awesome race.
                            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Hey Tom, I know this is an old thread, but do you have any more 2013 T-shirts for sale? I'd forgotten that I have been meaning to get one and I see you're sold out now on the website.

Good luck in 2014.

Comment

Working...
                              X