Surprises and disappoinments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprises and disappoinments...

I'd like to hear your (happy) surprises and disappointments.
    IMHO...
    Surprises:
    4. Furias and Czech Mate!
    3. The Allen Preston and Tiger Destafini show. I'd love to hear their commentary for any Unlimited race.
    2. Kirby Chambliss. Very impressive, I'm looking forward to another show (Copperstate will be my next chance)
    1. Without question, the appearance of the Percival Mew Gull. Can you imagine taking the original Hughes Racer out of the Smithsonian? That's very near the level of what we were treated to. And they flew it, too! GOOD SHOW! Thank you.
    Disappointments:
    Nemesis NXT's no-show. So close. Will there be more than 1 NXT next year?
    4. Tom Aberle's bad luck with props prevented his new Phantom from competing through the weekend. Better luck next year, Tom and thanks for a great effort.
    3. Dreadnaught not running after Friday. Making metal on a ''new" engine, a real bummer. I hope the Brian and Dennis have her back new year.
    2. Mike Brown's double back luck. First, the blown engine on September Fury (what a beauty!) and then the Tiger-cat making metal, too. We're lucky to have a dedicated competitor like Mike. Better luck next year.
    1. John Parker. I can't help but wonder who will be banned next year. A T-6? An Unlimited competitor? I wore my "Free John Parker" t-shirt with pride.
    Finally, a great big salute to the entire Miss America team for even being/getting there. I'll buy a round for that team, anytime.

Don't read too much into it

I think you're WAY overstating the impact of John Parker being 'uninvited' this year. Was it a shame? Yes. Was it a totally unwarranted attack on a stand-up, 4.0, saint of a guy? Well, not really. Some people get what is coming to them, if you believe in the whole 'kharma' thing.

And you have to admit it....there was no way in hell that a Thunder Mustang could have even kept in the shadow of ol' Grima-myner and that red rocket of his. As usual, Schwartz showed the new kids how they race 'downtown'. A pylon-racing clinic for the rest of the wanna-be's out there.

Speeddemon

Comment

Re: Don't read too much into it

Originally posted by speeddemon
      I think you're WAY overstating the impact of John Parker being 'uninvited' this year. Was it a shame? Yes. Was it a totally unwarranted attack on a stand-up, 4.0, saint of a guy? Well, not really. Some people get what is coming to them, if you believe in the whole 'kharma' thing.

And you have to admit it....there was no way in hell that a Thunder Mustang could have even kept in the shadow of ol' Grima-myner and that red rocket of his. As usual, Schwartz showed the new kids how they race 'downtown'. A pylon-racing clinic for the rest of the wanna-be's out there.

Speeddemon
      "Speeddemon"

Now that the races are over, and the issue remains unresolved... I have to admit, knowing some of the people on both sides of the issue and respecting both, with no real facts of this matter out in the open, or at least, to my knowledge.. I find myself tiring of remarks such as yours...

Kharma? For what?

Please, and I'm being quite serious here, if, one, you know something that has not been released about this, please, by all means, enlighten us. I spent almost all of my time at Reno taking pictures and walking my legs off trying to be in more places at once than I could... I did not find out anything further than I knew before I left for Reno..

Two... check the race times for last year and this year.. It might well have been one hell of a race, perhaps even a three way race??

I don't mean to be an arsehole, but... just exactly what do you base your, rather opinionated statements on?

Again, your true identity is unknown... John Parker is not an unknown, he does not hide behind a "handle" or "call sign" If Mike Houghton or anyone else involved with this were to post on this board, I doubt seriously that they would either.. so..

Who are you and, please.. let all of us reading this in on your information so we can also formulate an educated opinion on this subject...

Everyone knows who I am, obviously, I'm not the horned beast I use in my avitar... I'm not hiding... why are you?

I'm tired, just drove all night, managed 4 hrs or less sleep.. so if this comes off as somewhat impatient, or snotty.. so be it.. I would just like to know how you know so much about this situation?

Wayne Sagar
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Still disappointed, still suprised

I stand by original statement(s). Now that RARA has re-written the rules to "disinvite" a competitor, who will be next? Furthermore, as an "invitational" it seems improper to refer to the races as a "National Championship."
        I'm still surprised that Parker, and perhaps other Stead tenants, haven't filed suit. I hate it when things come to that, but that's just the kind of thing the courts are for. John Parker has real damages.
        And don't assume that Parker wouldn't have been able to beat Greenameyer. Have you already forgotten that Greenameyer did not finish Saturday's race? Have you seen Sunday's winning speed? Parkers Thunder Mustang is capable of more speed than that, I believe.
        By the way, I don't know John Parker. I've never met him, not even when I went to his hangar to buy two t-shirts.
        Even if he is an ''arse'' what gives the airport manager the right to close (apparently at RARA's request) a public facility? Last I checked, Parker was a member of that public.

Comment

Reno Invitational

It has always seemed to me that you pay your entrance money, you qualify both the pilot and the plane, and you race. End of discussion. RARA has certainly re-written the rules to give itself more authority.

Can you imagine 2 teams qualifying to play in the Superbowl and the NFL commissioner told one of them they were not invited simply because he didn't like the owners politics - or for any other reason for that matter?

Talk about the "good ole' boys" club. No one "uninvited" a nameless pilot for eating the tail off another plane with his prop during qualification a couple of years ago. If anyone shoud have gotten uninvited....

Comment

Impact

This is how I feel Parker's dis-invite impacts the sport. I'll keep it quick and to the point:

1. What competitor would spend tens of thousands of dollars getting ready for an event with they may not be allowed to participate due to a whim of the organizing body?

2. What sponsor would spend tens of thousands of dollars funding a race team when that team may not be allowed to participate due to a whim of the organizing body?

3. The new "Item F" in the rules basically states that all are at the mercy to whims of the organizing body.

I've known Parker for over 10 years. We met in Torrance. He may not be the most charismatic person in the world, but he is one hell of a fine human being. Even though he was uninvited, he sill assisted several race teams for the standard fee..... none. There are few people that I have met that force me to raise the bar of character; he is one of them.

Bill Pearce
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Re: Impact

Originally posted by W J Pearce
              <snip>He may not be the most charismatic person in the world, but he is one hell of a fine human being. Even though he was uninvited, he sill assisted several race teams for the standard fee..... none. There are few people that I have met that force me to raise the bar of character; he is one of them
              Bill... I agree that John is one of the best of the best people I've ever met. The charisma thing, not withstanding

Quite honestly, it took me knowing John for a couple years before I *knew* John... No question, he can *appear* crusty to be sure..

Those of us who know him though, ALWAYS know where we stand with him.. whether he's happy with you or not, he'll let you know with certainty where you stand and what it is you did to get where you are.

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Back on track

I really didn't intend for this to get off on the John Parker "dis-invite" track again. I really did want to hear the impressions, both positive and negative, of the other fans.
                That is has again found traction shows that it's still a hot issue: maybe we should start another thread for that.
                In the meantime, I'll be wearing my "Free John Parker" t-shirts on occasion, and I'll be happy to elaborate upon their meaning to anyone who asks.
                Also, we're lucky to have a guy like Terry Bland support a first-class operation like Team Dago Red.
                For next year, I'll be looking forward to Nemesis NXTs (yes, plural) and Matt Jackson's "American Spirit."
                Go Bear!

Comment

Working...
                X