Silly Season Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly Season Status

So let's do a catch-up for the Unlimited Gold roster for 2013, in order of race number:

Race 5, Voodoo: Photos being posted regularly now showing progress on getting the race motor installed: The Pink Panther. And people keep gong on and off on whether or not Voodoo has lost its radiator scoop. Question is, can it keep both banks of cylinders going for it's first Gold win?

Race 7, Strega: Not much from what I've heard, other than the static appearance for PR purposes at the POF show in Chino...only lead is that Matt will be getting some stick time really soon. We'll see if Strega's dominance was due to plane or pilot (or both) really soon.

Race 8, Dreadnought: The usual. Dust her off, start her up, pick a Sanders to fly her, keep rest of big boys honest..and try to throw dirty air at Precious Metal for throwing her on her back last year.

Race 38, Precious Metal: Talk about midnight oil burners! Their Facebook page is lit up with constant updates. Photos of flight testing the aero mods, new engine parts, paint layers, etc. Everyone is excited to see what she will look like - and fly like - come next month..and I saw a mention of 4,000 HP capability with the fresh engine somewhere on the internets...nice.

Race 77, Rare Bear: The crankiest racer gets a new do! Most of us have followed the trip to Texas and the subsequent mods done (at least some)...wing roots sealed, new wing leading edges, cowl-mounted induction, some new paint details, etc. Hopefully, the cylinder overheating boo boo's have been resolved. And a photo was posted on the Facebook group page of what appears to be the spinner for the old 'n' mighty P-3 Orion 3-blade prop being delivered in a crate...excitementness.

Race 86, Czech Mate: Haven't seen or heard ANYTHING from the actual players in the game, although a close source tells me that a new do is also in store for the little Yak, and flights should start very soon. Suspense!

Race 232, September Fury: 2-3-2 made a static showing at the POF show with Strega for PR purposes for the races, and recently YouTube has revealed HD vids of taxi's, run-up's, and landing from a test flight done by Big Steve Hinton to get her warmed up for Hoot...who should be test and practice flying this weekend. With the engine broken in from last year, word is that Hoot can open her up for 2013...the wild card here is that the photo of the 3-blade spinner on Rare Bear's FB group page was posted by a Sept. Fury crew member...could we see the Orion blades on a larger ship?

HAPPY SILLY SEASON
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: Silly Season Status

Gasoline meet Fire........Fire meet Gasoline........

Now you two run off and play nice, just stay clear of those trees over there.

Comment

"We'll see if Strega's dominance was due to plane or pilot (or both) really soon."

I'll preface my guess with this; Tiger would have never put young Mr. Hinton in the cockpit of his beloved child without knowing that there was a great pilot at the controls.

Having said that, I would say that 90-95% of Strega's performance since, and including Tiger's last victory, has to be credited to L.D. Hughes and that "engine guy" that posts here occasionally.

Kevin

P.S. Yea, I know his name is Mike Nixon.............and his crew at Vintage V-12's.
      P.P.S. It would be really cool if he let me come visit his shop!!

Comment

Tigercat 24, you saw my update on the Strega page yesterday with a new pic of C.M. all ready to go....... Should be in the air this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I heard some really cool stuff about Precious Metal from a very reputable source today. From the sounds of it, PM will be the most modernized unlimited on the field. These guys aren't going to settle for 2nd best. Assuming everything comes together the way they are hoping, Sunday is going to be VERY entertaining. The paint job should be interesting as well (no specifics were mentioned.) These guys seriously feel they can be front runners and are putting in the work to make it happen. We've seen a few things these guys are doing, there is a lot more that we haven't seen. They have done their homework, listened to people who really know their stuff and taken a very realistic look at how to win on todays course.

After watching last year's races, I think the bottom line isn't about how fast you can go in straight level flight, its about how little speed is lost while turning.

I look forward to seeing what they have done. From what I heard today, I feel they have taken some big steps toward the future of unlimited air racing. Will they win? Time will tell. I think its a very safe bet that the world has never seen a Griffon powered Mustang look or go as fast as the PM team is expecting to go.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            I heard some really cool stuff about Precious Metal from a very reputable source today. From the sounds of it, PM will be the most modernized unlimited on the field. These guys aren't going to settle for 2nd best. Assuming everything comes together the way they are hoping, Sunday is going to be VERY entertaining. The paint job should be interesting as well (no specifics were mentioned.) These guys seriously feel they can be front runners and are putting in the work to make it happen. We've seen a few things these guys are doing, there is a lot more that we haven't seen. They have done their homework, listened to people who really know their stuff and taken a very realistic look at how to win on todays course.

After watching last year's races, I think the bottom line isn't about how fast you can go in straight level flight, its about how little speed is lost while turning.

I look forward to seeing what they have done. From what I heard today, I feel they have taken some big steps toward the future of unlimited air racing. Will they win? Time will tell. I think its a very safe bet that the world has never seen a Griffon powered Mustang look or go as fast as the PM team is expecting to go.

Will
            Exactly the stuff that makes early week RENO so damn fun!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yeah, Wayne, you are absolutely right, its starting to get kinda exciting..

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
                Race 5, Voodoo: Photos being posted regularly now showing progress on getting the race motor installed: The Pink Panther. And people keep gong on and off on whether or not Voodoo has lost its radiator scoop. Question is, can it keep both banks of cylinders going for it's first Gold win?
                Where does one go to see these pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
                  Where does one go to see these pictures?
                  Michael Luvara posts pics on these sites as well as Facebook......

Comment

Will
                    Buuuuuuung!

Comment

Will
                      Buuuuuuung!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit View Post
                        Michael Luvara posts pics on these sites as well as Facebook......
                        Here's yesterday's motor run and a few shots at sunset last night. Coming along well.

Link should work for anyone-
                        Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                          Here's yesterday's motor run and a few shots at sunset last night. Coming along well.

Link should work for anyone-
                          https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201020457451054
                          Racer 5 IPA from Bear Republic brewing co. Excellent beer and very fitting.........I also have a bottle of that displayed next to my Voodoo memorabilia!
                          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Racer 5 IPA from the BEAR Republic Brewing Co.? Say, those crafty guys wouldn't be trying to infiltrate the Voodoo camp, would they?

Comment

Will

Last I heard, the National Weather Service was investigating the PM Hanger. Seems there is such a High Pressure Zone around it from all the work going on inside, that it has shielded the entire state of Florida from Hurricanes so far this season.....

Comment

Working...
                              X