• 2-3-2 (September Fury) Progress

Big Steve does a taxi & run-up (sweet) a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbm9...e_gdata_player

Big Steve taxis for a test flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiWAfS-w-w0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Big Steve bringing her home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSRa...e_gdata_player

Enjoy

P.S. I keep hearing of surprises up 2-3-2's sleeve for this year...anyone have an idea?
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: 2-3-2 (September Fury) Progress

Wha??? Don't tease me! Could it be? If there's any HINT of truth to this........OH MAN!! Hoot did a fabulous job last year and I was hoping he'd do better this year. But BIG Steve? oh geez. He's an equal-opportunity winner and got a Griffon and a big Pratt into the winners circle. Now a Wright? This is WILD!! If it's true...GO DAD!!

Comment

From all accounts, "Hoot" is this year's pilot. Big Steve did the first test flights on 2-3-2 last year as well. Got inside sources confirming Gibson as this year's pilot...unless they're trying to throw me off guard...
      "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
      -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
        Wha??? Don't tease me! Could it be? If there's any HINT of truth to this........OH MAN!! Hoot did a fabulous job last year and I was hoping he'd do better this year. But BIG Steve? oh geez. He's an equal-opportunity winner and got a Griffon and a big Pratt into the winners circle. Now a Wright? This is WILD!! If it's true...GO DAD!!

Since the airplane lives at Chino, Steve does a lot of the off season flying on it. Hoot will be in the seat for the races.

Comment

It's a pretty safe bet that Big Steve won't ever race an Unlimited again. The back problems from the Miles & Atwood replica crash in 1990 sort of put the exclamation point on that.

Comment

Ok guys, thanks for setting me straight. Always thought Big Steve was the best racer around and was excited at the prospect of a return. Didn't know about the lingering Miles & Atwood issue. In any event, this Sept. is gonna be FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
              Big Steve does a taxi & run-up (sweet) a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbm9...e_gdata_player

Schwing!!

Don't you love a no-cart start on a big radial? Just like climbing in the ol' truck and turning the key. Well, almost :-)

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                Ok guys, thanks for setting me straight. Always thought Big Steve was the best racer around and was excited at the prospect of a return. Didn't know about the lingering Miles & Atwood issue. In any event, this Sept. is gonna be FUN!
                That was why Steve stepped aside from Tsunami the August before Reno '90 and recommended Skip take over. I seem to recall him walking around in one of those plastic flak-jacket/body cast things at one point that year and it was obvious he was uncomfortable at best. But I also recall him saying that his racing days were over, that it just put too many g's on a body that had been through too many accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  That was why Steve stepped aside from Tsunami the August before Reno '90 and recommended Skip take over. I seem to recall him walking around in one of those plastic flak-jacket/body cast things at one point that year and it was obvious he was uncomfortable at best. But I also recall him saying that his racing days were over, that it just put too many g's on a body that had been through too many accidents.
                  Yeah, I remember that flak jacket too Big........And he did look very
                  uncomfortable.......
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

[QUOTE=P.S. I keep hearing of surprises up 2-3-2's sleeve for this year...anyone have an idea?[/QUOTE]

JATO bottle pops out of the tail instead of the tail wheel on lap 3...........
                    John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

Working...
                    X