Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hmmmm

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    I raise my mug along side yours my friend! There will never be another, may he live forever in our memory... Long live the King! Blue Skies Lyle! You were the best ever!

I'll toast that!
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Very disappointed on the tribute the RARA gave to Lyle

Comment

Originally posted by mmu2 View Post
        Very disappointed on the tribute the RARA gave to Lyle
        Lyle wouldn't have wanted that kind of fuss made over him.

Comment

By the way, how did he Lyle Shelton used to do about moving the Bear?
          I havenīt read that he used trailers, isnīt it? or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
            No trailers involved with Lyle. He flew it with one exception. That was when they towed it home late at night behind an el camino...

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
              Several years ago, Rare Bear's radiator for cooling the engine oil was removed and replaced with a radiator. When you have a radiator with air flowing through it, you generally can go as far as you have fuel. With a boiler, you are exchanging the air with a bath of water/methanol that is replenished as it is boiled off. When the water runs out, you overheat. Thus, the range is limited to consumables, namely your boiler fluid in this scenario.

I'm assuming Rare Bear's radiator is still present, thus there may be concern flying it cross country. Lyle used to fly it everywhere.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                Several years ago, Rare Bear's radiator for cooling the engine oil was removed and replaced with a radiator. When you have a radiator with air flowing through it, you generally can go as far as you have fuel. With a boiler, you are exchanging the air with a bath of water/methanol that is replenished as it is boiled off. When the water runs out, you overheat. Thus, the range is limited to consumables, namely your boiler fluid in this scenario.

I'm assuming Rare Bear's radiator is still present, thus there may be concern flying it cross country. Lyle used to fly it everywhere.

Michael
                Mike I'm assuming the last 2 'Radiators" was meant to be "Boiler"

I don't know if anything has changed under the new crew however when we were prepping for the 3k which required 3 legs to get to the location the Boiloff was not a concern. RB carries a maximum load of 180 Gal of fuel. The Boiloff was efficient enough that it consumed about 1/3 of a gallon of water/methanol per gallon of fuel (IIRC). Boiloff tanks held approx 75 gals of usable liquid. We had also set up the plumbing so that 42 gal of ADI tank capacity was available, this was done so that on cross country flights if leaks developed or something went wrong and consumption increased there would be significant reserve. Using the boiloff capacity alone there was a 25% reserve capacity. Add in the ADI capacity for cross country and it could carry about 1.8 times what could ever be needed.

Biggest downside to the boiloff is staging a servicing crew at each planned fuel stop to refill the ADI fluid for the boiler. Easily doable just takes a little extra effort on the logistics end.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                  Mike I'm assuming the last 2 'Radiators" was meant to be "boiler".
                  Yeah, I meant to say "radiator immersed in fluid"... Typing on a phone and missed it.

Sounds like the capacity was sufficient. Even then, it should do quite well cross country.

Comment

I know when planning the 3k the intent was to have an L-39 fly chase on the cross country, There was some concern with it being able to keep up with RB at the altitudes involved, I was told that Takeoff to Landing when Lyle commuted from Van Nuys was a touch faster than an airliner since he wasn't climbing to cruise altitude.

Would be a great cross country airplane but no room for golf clubs.............

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                      Would be a great cross country airplane but no room for golf clubs.............
                      I dunno, Chris....I saw Lyle pull all sorts of stuff out of the 'hell hole' over the years. I'm sure with a little creativity you might be able to carry a few clubs with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                        I dunno, Chris....I saw Lyle pull all sorts of stuff out of the 'hell hole' over the years. I'm sure with a little creativity you might be able to carry a few clubs with you.
                        The thought had occurred to me but the boiler takes up everything forward of the panel and aft I would be terrified of having something interfere with the cables.

Having only heard stories of Lyle I can't imagine him being concerned with any of that.

Comment

Thank you for your comments. Itīs very interesting to read all the things you are telling about this matter.
                          I guess that in a cross country flight with RB, and consuming so many fluid kilos it forces the pilot to keep it trimmed very often and may be very tiring. donīt know.

Comment

Working...
                          X