Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hmmmm

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Yea, I get it, seemed a bit of an attack though, so I pounced....

I just don't want an atmosphere to develop where folks get gun shy to post for fear their thoughts will be criticized...
    Gotta support Wayners here! I get what he's saying. I personally don't post that much anymore because of this very same thing. It's competition, it's racing, people get passionate, they're gonna post their thoughts. Can you imagine if this was a football fan site? It would be way worse!! We all love air racing. We all love our our favorite racers. We're all better than that!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Wish we could truck PM to Reno, I although I think with all the buffoons on the road it's safer to fly the 2000 ish miles to Reno and back.

Comment

Well, I know I'm going to be Truckin to Reno in 4 weeks........in my motorhome, Might be flyin if the brakes fail going down the east side of I-80 though
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          Yea, I get it, seemed a bit of an attack though, so I pounced....

I just don't want an atmosphere to develop where folks get gun shy to post for fear their thoughts will be criticized...
          I also support Big on this one. I don't think it was an attack Wayne. I think you just read into it a little too much. It's all good. Carry on.............
          Last edited by t-dub; 08-11-2013, 08:43 AM.
          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by B-minus View Post
            Wish we could truck PM to Reno, I although I think with all the buffoons on the road it's safer to fly the 2000 ish miles to Reno and back.
            Man, ain't THAT the truth!! Whatever the case, safe journey amigo. Lookin' forward to seein' her on the ramp.

Comment

Flying a racer to Reno is like ridding a KY derby horse to that race. Flying the plane home after the race with the race engine begs the question!

Thorn summed it up when he said that "if you can fly it home, you didn't run it hard enough!"

I alway have the reality of the flight home all week there. The hardest decision I make every year is Monday morning after the inspection. That is when the call to fly home is made.

REMENBER: There are no do-overs in aviation.
              MN

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE NIXON View Post
                Flying a racer to Reno is like ridding a KY derby horse to that race. Flying the plane home after the race with the race engine begs the question!

Thorn summed it up when he said that "if you can fly it home, you didn't run it hard enough!"

I alway have the reality of the flight home all week there. The hardest decision I make every year is Monday morning after the inspection. That is when the call to fly home is made.

MN
                I stayed glued to flightaware both ways!

Comment

MN
                  Which is why I pretty much have grown to dislike Formula One Auto Racing. It becomes a race of the budgets, instead of a race of the machines. I wish there was a REQUIREMENT that the planes be flown in from at least a certain distance. Yes, they are high strung pieces of racing machinery...but part of the draw for many decades was people could identify with the struggle to own, mod, fly and get your plane to the race location. I guess that's why I like the Underdog Teams that have to put everything into even competing. Sort of like how Late Model Sportsman Stock Cars are a whole lot more exciting than NASCAR Grand Nationals. The big money teams aren't nearly as interesting to me. If its going to be a battle of the wallets, then lets take away the weight restrictions, the inability to go Turboprop and make it a REAL Unlimited class....and take the current heroes into a "Warbird Modified" class instead...and let the high bucks teams have a REAL shoot-out.

Comment

Just want to point out, I'm pretty sure EVERY sport class entry is flown to the races. It might go home on a trailer, but that isn't on purpose..

I have to fly my race motor 1,000 miles home, over the rockies!
                    Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

MN
                      True, but that's why we have a Griffon. More power, less thrashing of the engine to make enough speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                        Just want to point out, I'm pretty sure EVERY sport class entry is flown to the races. It might go home on a trailer, but that isn't on purpose..

I have to fly my race motor 1,000 miles home, over the rockies!
                        Uphill and barefoot through crushed glass during a snowstorm? Kinda reminds me of my daily trudges to school..........

Just for the record I am not poking fun at anyone, Just popped into my head.........
                        Last edited by ChrisMX105; 08-12-2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: Disclaimer

Comment

Historically, a LOT of the racers were towed to their respective races, expense, reliability, etc.
                          Hasn't one of the cool things about the formula's been their ability to arrive, assemble and race? I've seen it done but cross country in one of those would be an extreme butt-buster. Same with some of the unlimiteds. I bet a long trip in the Bear would be taxing on both pilot and airplane.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            Historically, a LOT of the racers were towed to their respective races, expense, reliability, etc.
                            Hasn't one of the cool things about the formula's been their ability to arrive, assemble and race? I've seen it done but cross country in one of those would be an extreme butt-buster. Same with some of the unlimiteds. I bet a long trip in the Bear would be taxing on both pilot and airplane.
                            I don't think any of the top Unlimiteds would fall under the "Fun" to fly category, even if the stick and rudder part was pleasant or a sheer joy there has to be a certain constant pucker factor knowing that it is far from a cross country design.

I know with the Bear when the 3k was being planned it was going to require servicing crews be in place to fill the boil-off tanks. But since it had more boil-off capacity than fuel capacity it was just a matter of having people at airports.

The one who really impresses me is Thom, I would hazard a guess that he commutes further in a top 5 contender than anyone currently.
                            Back in the day when there was a quasi unlimited circuit everyone did it.

Comment

This is the thread and the moment for me to raise my cup of red wine and honour Lyle Shelton. He put in the sky a bird that itīs still flying and threatening to win .

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
                                This is the thread and the moment for me to raise my cup of red wine and honour Lyle Shelton. He put in the sky a bird that itīs still flying and threatening to win .
                                I raise my mug along side yours my friend! There will never be another, may he live forever in our memory... Long live the King! Blue Skies Lyle! You were the best ever!

Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X