No announcement yet.

Venting...........A little off topic!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting...........A little off topic!!

I've been planning on attending the Miramar Airshow in San Diego this year......which by the way is a great show. Anyway, ever since the Govt has intiaiated the "sequestration" and stopped military aircraft taking part in airshows, I've been checking out the Miramar Airshow website from time to time to make sure it's still a go. To my surprise it looked like this years show would be on par with previous years, with a large display of military aircraft, both flying and static. ........well, I checked last night, and now it appears only ground displays of military aircraft will take place. Still some great civilian acts are scheduled. I've been watching the EAA Air Venture airshow online, and guess what........no Military aircraft........and as we all know, no Military aircraft at Reno.......or anywhere else.
    Ranting section: Here we are, supposedly the greatest country in the world, and we can't even afford to fund any of our military demostration teams or any other military aircraft to the public which pays the taxes to this great govt. Oh wait, though, we have enough money to fund some third world country that doesn't even want our help and would spit on us or worse if given a chance. Or wait, lets fund some obscure project to save a frog that has disappeared years ago from a geographic location, but has taken up residence in another area and is thrieving. Oh ya, let's fire up Air Force One and go to San Francisco so we can raise money at a $30,000 a plate dinner so we can raise a couple million dollars, of course the expense to get there and back is ten times that amount. Oh ya, don't forget the support aircraft personel etc everytime it goes somewhere.......not to mention the closing of airspace and disruption of air service it creates......but wait, let's make sure we don't spend any money displaying our Armed Forces to the Tax Payers that make this country great, which as we all knows, gives us tax payers an oppurtunity to say "THANK YOU" to those men and women in uniform. I'm sorry, but I'm very dissapointed.
    Brian
    Last edited by supercub; 08-04-2013, 06:20 PM.

Re: Venting...........A little off topic!!

Originally posted by supercub View Post
    I've been planning on attending the Miramar Airshow in San Diego this year......which by the way is a great show. Anyway, ever since the Govt has intiaiated the "sequestration" and stopped military aircraft taking part in airshows, I've been checking out the Miramar Airshow website from time to time to make sure it's still a go. To my surprise it looked like this years show would be on par with previous years, with a large display of military aircraft, both flying and static. ........well, I checked last night, and now it appears only ground displays of military aircraft will take place. Still some great civilian acts are scheduled. I've been watching the EAA Air Venture airshow online, and guess what........no Military aircraft........and as we all know, no Military aircraft at Reno.......or anywhere else.
    Ranting section: Here we are, supposedly the greatest country in the world, and we can't even afford to fund any of our military demostration teams or any other military aircraft to the public which pays the taxes to this great govt. Oh wait, though, we have enough money to fund some third world country that doesn't even want our help and would spit on us or worse if given a chance. Or wait, lets fund some obscure project to save a frog that has disappeared years ago from a geographic locating but has taken up residence in another area and is thrieving. Oh ya, let's fire up Air Force One and go to San Francisco so we can raise money at a $30,000 a plate dinner so we can raise a couple million dollars, of course the expense to get there and back is ten times that amount. Oh ya, don't forget the support aircraft personel etc everytime it goes somewhere.......not to mention the closing of airspace and disruption of air service it creates......but wait, let's make sure we don't spend any money displaying our Armed Forces to the Tax Payers that make this country great, which as we all knows, gives us tax payers an oppurtunity to say "THANK YOU" to those men and women in uniform. I'm sorry, but I'm very dissapointed.
    Brian
    Excellent post Brian! And right on target! Don't even get me started on my Obama (One Big Ass Mistake America) tyrade.......
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
      Ranting section: Here we are, supposedly the greatest country in the world, and we can't even afford to fund any of our military demostration teams or any other military aircraft to the public which pays the taxes to this great govt. Oh wait, though, we have enough money to fund some third world country that doesn't even want our help and would spit on us or worse if given a chance. Or wait, lets fund some obscure project to save a frog that has disappeared years ago from a geographic location, but has taken up residence in another area and is thrieving. Oh ya, let's fire up Air Force One and go to San Francisco so we can raise money at a $30,000 a plate dinner so we can raise a couple million dollars, of course the expense to get there and back is ten times that amount. Oh ya, don't forget the support aircraft personel etc everytime it goes somewhere.......not to mention the closing of airspace and disruption of air service it creates......but wait, let's make sure we don't spend any money displaying our Armed Forces to the Tax Payers that make this country great, which as we all knows, gives us tax payers an oppurtunity to say "THANK YOU" to those men and women in uniform. I'm sorry, but I'm very dissapointed.
      Brian

I get where your coming from and I certainly miss the armed forces demonstrations as well, but the fact is the sequester (which resulted from stubbornness of all gov't parties) slashed all gov't funded programs by an equal percentage and its actually a pretty small amount regarding the military when you look at the overall budget...The "sky is falling" types will say its drastically affecting our military readiness (some lunatics actually believe we now cannot afford bullets) , but for the most part (so far) its only reduced the unnecessary luxuries like flyovers and demonstrations...Yes it sucks for airshow fans, but overall so far its affect on actual military readiness has been greatly exaggerated...I am sure this will raise the ire of some folks on this site, but if you study the actual facts and reports issued by bipartisan congressional and senatorial committees as well as independent studies as opposed to agenda laden internet and media ranters you will see this to be true...You want the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds funded?...Build 1 less tank...And if you think ANY president of any party would discontinue fundraising with the electoral process of this country being as it is, I have a bridge or two to sell you.

Again, I get the frustration, I just wish this site could stay on the intended topic of air racing and avoid the political BS at every turn...Be well
      Last edited by johnnyrace; 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Obama (One Big Ass Mistake America) Right ON!

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
          Obama (One Big Ass Mistake America) Right ON!
          I'm just thinking that in this day and age of where anyone with Internet access anywhere in the world can read what folks type on this site.... I'm gonna take a stand and say that I don't care which third of the populace you fall down among, if you're posting on this site, keep in mind, you're first and foremost, an AMERICAN!

Some of us American's might Like our current president.. maybe not. Some of us maybe liked our past president, maybe not.

I sure as hell liked the day's when, even if we didn't agree with their politics, we regarded our presidents as our "managers".. our saviors.. guys who got us out of binds, guys who made sure that the world saw us as the reluctant, big ass tough guy, you sure as hell don't want to piss off that we truly are...

S h i t.. all these bad guys gotta do now days is pull some s h i t somewhere, then read the blogs on what we Americans think of how the government responded... then work our dissent with whatever we think went wrong into a news angle..

If we start nitpicking from left to right, Republican to Democrat to liberal to libertarian... to tree hugger to industrialists.

What a nice easy pickins' face we present to the hungry rest of the world..

S h I t like some wordplay bashing the president of our country just seems pretty damn.. wrong...
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The current political divide in this country is by design and being fed and watered by the politicians that are fanning the fires.

There are no more republicans or democrats. Only a rich political ruling class and the rest of us lowly plebs. They want us at each others throats so we wont pay attention to what they are really doing.

We need to stop fighting among ourselves and take this country back.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
              The current political divide in this country is by design and being fed and watered by the politicians that are fanning the fires.

There are no more republicans or democrats. Only a rich political ruling class and the rest of us lowly plebs. They want us at each others throats so we wont pay attention to what they are really doing.

We need to stop fighting among ourselves and take this country back.
              Another question. 'Supercub', How were you watching the airshow at Airventure?

Comment

Well it Ain't right for the Rich Political Ruling Class to spend 50 million dollars on a recent trip to Africa, but can't let school kids on vacation in D.C. tour the White House, because of sequestration....or support military demonstration teams.... I smell B.S.

But hey I guess in view of the fact that future military aircraft will no longer need pilots, We then no longer need to recruit young people to the Military to be those pilots and support personnel, which was I believe the original purpose of the demo teams....

Comment

No matter which party is in "control" or whether it is national, state or local level, in a budget fight it is the most obvious items that get cut, or threatened, in the hope that the backlash will allow taxes to rise. Threaten the schools, welfare, police, fire, etc. and the people will let you increase your budget. Hit us where it hurts.
                  Case in point, where I live we are relatively isolated from emergency services by distance. In response Reno (washoe County) built a fire station and a sheriff substation in our valley. We had good response times, 3 officers and a staffed fire department. We agreed to higher property taxes to fund it.
                  Recently an elderly friend of my wife's endured a man trying to break down a door to get in at 2 a.m. The private security went off duty at midnight and it took the sheriff 35 minutes to respond. Luckily the intruder saw her looking at him (probably not to smart on her part) and decided to leave. In 35 minutes a lot could have happened to her. The reason they gave? Budget cuts allow only one officer in the Cold Springs-Red Rock area. Those that know the area know it is a LARGE area to cover, even code 3 it can take 45 minutes or more to cross it. They TOLD her that!
                  My taxes did not go down. My services did. It happens all over this country.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

agree with what Brian said. And flyingjibus.....and Bud..........and Leo. I get a notice of a "voter approved tax increase" and yet......wait a minute.....where and when was I notified and allowed to vote on this tax increase.

We ALL love our country. We ALL support those that go in harm's way, be it military,fire,rescue or police.
                    It's that fat-cats sittin behind a desk that so poorly misuse,manage,and spend our tax dollars.

Comment

It's that fat-cats sittin behind a desk that so poorly misuse,manage,and spend our tax dollars
                      Our local school board recently voted themselves the right to raise property taxes as they saw fit, to pay for schools, for our own good (they literally said that), without the pesky need for our OK. A one time thing (they say), but a precedent that worries me.
                      It's NOT the country, it's the arrogant ones running it, and it is up to us to weed 'em out. That's what makes this the greatest nation in the world, our ability to self-correct our problems.

Wow, Wayne, I am surprised this thread has gone on this long (and I don't mean that negatively towards you).
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Oh let me hijack this thread.

37 days left before the fun begins and I reset my annual clock.

Some people go Jan 1 to Dec 31,

The weather people go August 1 to July 31

And for us air racing folks Sept week 38 to week 37.

One thing for sure, by Sept 2014, congress will still be useless and that Weiner guy will still be playing with his weiner.

So really nothing else matters, as long as I have cold beer and airplanes fly, life is good.

Comment

[QUOTE=Desertdawg;112466]Oh let me hijack this thread.

37 days left before the fun begins and I reset my annual clock.

Some people go Jan 1 to Dec 31,

The weather people go August 1 to July 31

And for us air racing folks Sept week 38 to week 37.

One thing for sure, by Sept 2014, congress will still be useless and that Weiner guy will still be playing with his weiner.

So really nothing else matters, as long as I have cold beer and airplanes fly, life is good.

[/QUOTE

Finally, sanity prevails!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!

Comment

Gotta admit, dawg put things in perspective. Maybe a little selfish on my part, but when walkin' the ramp with the sun on my face and the roar of Merlins and Wrights in my ears..........I really don't care much what's goin' on in Washington or Sacramento. It's only that looming Monday and the return to reality that bothers me.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                              Gotta admit, dawg put things in perspective. Maybe a little selfish on my part, but when walkin' the ramp with the sun on my face and the roar of Merlins and Wrights in my ears..........I really don't care much what's goin' on in Washington or Sacramento. It's only that looming Monday and the return to reality that bothers me.
                              Spot on with that one!!!
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                              X