Oshkosh Air Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oshkosh Air Controllers

According to a Fox News report there is no overtime funding for air controllers at tne big Oshkosh Air Show so EAA is going to pay them which means profit cuts which they use to give to needy organizations. Reno beware even tho Race Control is volunteers the FAA is usually there. I'm 81 & true Americans had better wake up. It must be Miller Time somewhere.
    Lockheed Bob

Re: Oshkosh Air Controllers

The way I understand it, the controllers at Oshkosh Airventure have always been volunteers. I would say no need to panic.

Comment

The EAA had to pay the FAA $500k this year for controllers.

Comment

Yes they did, but it is not over. See link from EAA.

Official website of the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh fly-in convention in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, attracting more than 500,000 people and 10,000 airplanes each July.

Comment

Thanks for the replies on this thread. Things are going on that many aren't aware of. Enjoy Reno 2013.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Couple of clarifying notes...

The controllers do "volunteer" or alternately are identified to work the event but they are not "volunteers" in the non-paid parlance. If a controller is providing ATC services then they must be in a pay status for a variety of reasons (liability, Title V, etc). This would include overtime, if appropriate.

Oshkosh and Sun-N-Fun are a couple of high profile shows where ATC services are fully provided for obvious reasons - volume, extreme mix of aircraft and pilot experience, etc. Lots of other shows, like Reno, don't require the services either because of size or, as is the case with Reno, the airspace is fully sterilized for the event. One I always thought was cool was the CAF show at MAF. There, the Air Boss works hand in hand with Midland Tower and the TRACON to not only conduct the show but keep the airport moving. It is not uncommon to see the bomber group pass right to left only to notice a minute or two later a SWA 737 rolling out on the crosswind. Pretty neat how they manage the operation and really don't incur any delays on "civilian" traffic.

As far as the whole funding deal for OSH this year, I am a general, commercial, and military aviation supporter and as such I hate to see the change in behavior. I especially hate the timing of how it went down where EAA was basically left with no choice but the course they took. In today's climate inside the Beltway, it is clear that both sides of the aisle look for pain points for the other in terms of "entitlement" reform. Don't shoot me for calling ATC services at OSH an entitlement (see my declaration of support above!) Just saying that in today's world, it isn't much of a stretch to see someone calling it that. Truth is, I have no idea where the "order" came from - within the Agency, the White House, the Hill, little green men from Mars...I just doubt that it was a career bureaucrat that made the call. Too high profile to do that one on your own.

On a side note, I leave the ranks of ATC on September 30. Retirement awaits....or more accurately, the private sector awaits. It has been a great career and a lot of fun. Like any workplace, we have our great ones and we have our folks who left me SMDH (Shakin' My Damn Head). I will get one last vacation in before I go. Middle of September, northern Nevada, lots of fun with several thousand of my closest friends that I don't know by name!

James

Comment

Working...
            X