American Jet and Oxen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Jet and Oxen

And that 3 Blade really was cool sounding down the old and longer version of the VOS! You could feel it go by....I recorded that sound and it is now my email notification on my PC.

Can anybody remind me what years that 3 blade was run?

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
      And that 3 Blade really was cool sounding down the old and longer version of the VOS! You could feel it go by....I recorded that sound and it is now my email notification on my PC.

Bud, I know I saw it in 2004, 05, and pretty sure 06 it was gone shortly after. I'm sure some of he Bear fanatics can tell you what hour it came off but for me it was something to see and hear/feel.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        On a side note the 3k record set in 1989 was done with the 4 blade. Other than the imagery and coolness it was never proven that the 3-blade was any faster and the harmonic issues associated with it caused the team to revert to the 4 blade.
        I know all of the details... I just like to rub it in. I think the 3 gave her good luck!

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
          On a side note the 3k record set in 1989 was done with the 4 blade. Other than the imagery and coolness it was never proven that the 3-blade was any faster and the harmonic issues associated with it caused the team to revert to the 4 blade.
          Yes, but the 3 blader pegged the coolness meter all the way over to the "Bad-ass" measurement (just past "Bitchin").
          Last edited by FlyKidChris; 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post

3 blade = 1990 - 2003

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
              Yes, but the 3 blader pegged the coolness meter all the way over to the "Bad-ass" measurement (just past "Bitchin").
              Perfect description!
              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                3 blade = 1990 - 2003
                Yeah if that's the case it would have made my three years 2002, 03 and I wasn't sure about the last 04. Wow time flies!

Comment

I love the look of the 3-blade prop, but the only time I saw it race was in 2005 and it had the Skyraider prop. My brother saw it race in 1994 and he says it sounded amazing.

People I have talked to who have close knowledge of the Bear say that it was fast with the 3-blade prop but handled poorly on the course and was just difficult to fly in general. My "eyeball engineering"( i.e., I am not an expert in this field) makes me wonder if an increase in tail surface area might mitigate some of the stability problems created by running such a gigantic propeller.

Comment

I will just say that 'the man' knew how to fly it with the three blade, and though he said it was something you had to stay on top of in the turns, 'the man' just did what he had to do...and when he was at the controls he was just that....in control.

Comment

Lyle Shelton was a supremely skilled pilot without a doubt. I'm just wondering if Rare Bear could have been a viable racer with the Electra prop with suitable aerodynamic work, ....by the term "viable" I mean better than the 4-blade....... In it's current form, It's a better racer WITH the 4-blade.......What made me think of this was a recollection of a discussion I had with Dennis Sanders regarding Dreadnaught and the aerodynamic considerations inherent in a R-4360 engine swap and the increased moments introduced about the aerodynamic center of pressure.
                      Last edited by tdecibel; 08-04-2013, 05:00 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

And another thing.....what, specifically, is the problem with removing the oil coolers from the wing roots of a Bearcat wing........ It's 2013 and CFD(Computational Fluid Dynamics) is cheap and easy. It wasn't cheap or easy THEN,...but it is NOW.
                        Last edited by tdecibel; 08-04-2013, 04:57 AM.

Comment

So this thread started off as talking about oxen pulling a Bearcat and has morphed into 3 vs. 4 blade propeller on a different Bearcat...so does that mean that the oxen would have been faster if they had 3 hooves vs 4?

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
                            So this thread started off as talking about oxen pulling a Bearcat and has morphed into 3 vs. 4 blade propeller on a different Bearcat...so does that mean that the oxen would have been faster if they had 3 hooves vs 4?
                            LMAO! That's funny.........
                            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
                              Yes, but only if they were really big and shiny.

Comment

Oxen....Mmmmmmm Steak!

Comment

Working...
                                X