Howie Keefe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Howie Keefe

Several years ago when his book Galloping on Wings came out, I called a number listed to order it. I was very surprised when I found out it was Howie's home phone and I was talking to him. We had a nice conversation and my book arrived, autographed, in about 4 days after the phone call. What a great human being he was!

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39 View Post

...Mojave '73...

Wow.... excellent photo!!

Comment

Although it wasn't "American Flag" accurate, I really liked the lighter blue on Miss A. The current "waving flag" scheme is cool in and of itself, but the classic paintjob is just about as sexy as civilian racer schemes come.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
          Although it wasn't "American Flag" accurate, I really liked the lighter blue on Miss A. The current "waving flag" scheme is cool in and of itself, but the classic paintjob is just about as sexy as civilian racer schemes come.
          Amen. Along with the low-profile tinted canopy and the Cox sponsorship....just classic. He never won but he never had to. Always a fan favorite, and as I said before 'the face of air racing' for a generation of kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            If I remember correctly, the 'original' paint scheme came about when then-owner Robert Cleaves asked Star-Trek creator Gene Roddenberry to come up with something flashy, classy, and patriotic for his airplane. I have seen a couple of pictures of the plane when owned by Cleaves flying in formation with Bob Hoover's original Mustang. Looks pretty cool. It's Miss America, but it's not Miss America because there's no name on it yet.
            That is pretty much what Bob Cleaves told me a few years back. Instead of the name "Miss America" it wore the name and logo for the National Aeronautic Association, and the reg. N991RC.

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
            Know what you mean. I actually think a lot of the older civilian schemes are "classic". Both warbirds, GA, and airliners. Unfortunately today's weavy patterns don't do a thing for me. They might be what is in vogue at the minute, but I doubt they will ever be viewed in the future as that great. Meaning, when airline execs in 50 years from now looks back for the retro look, I really don't think they will view the current options and say, my, this is just classic!

T J

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	225858Dear All:

I am Howie Keefe's daughter Dorrie Keefe.

I look forward to participating however I can, whenever I can in regards to 'Miss A' and my Dad, Howie Keefe. I spent a lot time flying in and being around 'Miss A' with my Father, the crew, and all the other race participants/supporters. Dad's love of flying and his sharp mind, at 92, allowed him to still be a part of the discussion. All the interesting happenings, in regards to aviation, kept him busy. I have recent emails from him, for instance, one regarding what he thought happened with the Korean flight that crash landed at SFO, and a few more that are dated two days before he passed.

His passing was sudden and unexpected. Yes, he was coping/dealing with Prostate Cancer but in the end, Congenital Heart Failure was the condition that brought him to the hospital on July 25, 2013. He could've been kept alive by means of oxygen and other support but he said no to that and stated that he was ready, and wanted to go. His passing at approximately 10am, on Friday, July 26, 2013, was his choice. Dad let go peacefully, with grace and dignity.

I would like to think that he was at Oshkosh this year , given that his passing was that friday of the weeks festivities, and I feel he will also be with us at the Reno Air Races for the 50th year celebration

I'm going to be at the Reno Air Races and would love to meet up with any and all to say hello. I would like you to know that my family and I thank you all personally for supporting and honoring my Father's dedication to aviation and his chapter with Miss America. I'd also like to give a special thanks to Dr. Hisey, God bless him for keeping Miss America in the sky.

Sincerely,
              Dorrie Keefe
              1567 Hobart St Unit B
              Chico, CA 95926
              530-899-8011
              keefedo@butte.edu

Comment

Dear Joseph:
                You truly have shown the true essence of my Dad, Howie Keefe. Thank you for posting these wondeful pictures of your encounter with him.

Sincerely,
                Dorrie Keefe

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                So sad to hear this news, but very happy that he lived such a full life!

He was also very inspirational to me..

I think this is '94. I had drawn a picture of Miss America, and Howie noticed, and so I had him sign it. Then he gave me a piggy-back around the pits. Yeah!

- Joseph

Comment

Dear Big Jim;

You are right, winning was never my Father's focus! His love of flying 'Miss A', placing and making it all the way into the final race on Sunday, and finishing without any engine trouble, etc..., was his high. Being a part of the race community, and performing at air shows perpetuated promoting aviation, that was his mission. I am so grateful that he was able to live such a wonderful and fulfilling life. It is much appreciated to be able to read all the posts on this site and to be reminded about how he brought so much enjoyment to you and all. Thank you for supporting his legacy.

Sincerely,
                  Dorrie Keefe

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  Amen. Along with the low-profile tinted canopy and the Cox sponsorship....just classic. He never won but he never had to. Always a fan favorite, and as I said before 'the face of air racing' for a generation of kids.

Comment

Originally posted by DorrieKeefe View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]19924[/ATTACH]Dear All:

I am Howie Keefe's daughter Dorrie Keefe.

I look forward to participating however I can, whenever I can in regards to 'Miss A' and my Dad, Howie Keefe.
                    Dorrie, welcome to the hangar! I wish I'd have been able to meet your dad! From everything I've seen and heard, he was just a super person.

Things are a little crazy here right now due to the excitement over the upcoming event, so to keep your response up in the top so Howie's friends will see that you're here, I'm going to "pin" this thread for a while.

Again, a very warm welcome to the hangar!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey folks, I pinned Howie's thread because his daughter found it and is now responding within it. I know some of you were pretty close to Howie so I wanted to ensure you didn't miss the chance to say hello to Dorrie Keefe.
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Blue Skies Howie Keefe

I had the pleasure of seeing Howie preform with Miss A way back in in think it was 1970 at the naval air station Just outside of Dallas he put on a great show and then took the time afterwords to talk to every one especially the young kids ie myself at the time and no question was to small or silly to give a polite and full explanation to
                        He will be missed

Comment

Your sharing means a lot to me and my family. Thank you for sharing your memory and kind words dmk

Originally posted by luscombe View Post
                          Blue Skies Howie Keefe

I had the pleasure of seeing Howie preform with Miss A way back in in think it was 1970 at the naval air station Just outside of Dallas he put on a great show and then took the time afterwords to talk to every one especially the young kids ie myself at the time and no question was to small or silly to give a polite and full explanation to
                          He will be missed

Comment

Thank you Wayne for helping me get onto your site I appreciate your introduction and support.
                            FYI: I just received a message on FB from RARC that there will be a tribute to Dad... I am waiting to speak with Mr. Houghton. I'll post info once I know more. dmk

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            Dorrie, welcome to the hangar! I wish I'd have been able to meet your dad! From everything I've seen and heard, he was just a super person.

Things are a little crazy here right now due to the excitement over the upcoming event, so to keep your response up in the top so Howie's friends will see that you're here, I'm going to "pin" this thread for a while.

Again, a very warm welcome to the hangar!

Comment

National Air racing Group (NAG) will be featuring Howie Keefe in the pre-Reno edition of Professional Air Racing. A number of people have contributed photos. It should be in the mail as we speak.

Comment

Hello ShermB: Thank you for the notification and honoring my Dad in your publication. Would it be possible for me to get a copy of this special edition of NAG?

Sincerely,

Dorrie Keefe
                                1567 Hobart St, Unit B
                                Chico, CA 95926

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
                                National Air racing Group (NAG) will be featuring Howie Keefe in the pre-Reno edition of Professional Air Racing. A number of people have contributed photos. It should be in the mail as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X