Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Warbirds" - or stockers you'd be thrilled to see....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Warbirds" - or stockers you'd be thrilled to see....

Well, the USAAF W-B match-up oughta be against the 51H & 47N right?

& that Frank don't look quite so clever then, huh..

& didn't an 'unwanted' flying U.S.-based Ki 84 get sold back to Nippon, back in the day?

www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org has the data on Allied appraisals of those Nippon hot-ships..

Comment

I would like to see a Mig-3. It just looks like a racer.
      Last edited by boomtown; 08-18-2013, 09:53 AM.
      "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
        I would like to see a Mig-3. I just looks like a racer.
        Well, since BCIV doesn't come around her much anymore except for special occasions I'll throw in his nomination:

Republic XP-72.

I said I'd fly it around the sticks for him.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A.W. View Post
          Well, the USAAF W-B match-up oughta be against the 51H & 47N right?

& that Frank don't look quite so clever then, huh..

& didn't an 'unwanted' flying U.S.-based Ki 84 get sold back to Nippon, back in the day?

www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org has the data on Allied appraisals of those Nippon hot-ships..
          Geez. What's with the attitude? We're just trying to have a little fun here aren't we? Why so serious?
          Last edited by hm66sk; 08-20-2013, 10:52 PM.
          "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Not attitude.. Altitude..

MiG 3 & those turbo Republic Jugs were built for speed at several times Reno height..

& that site I posted.. does have the declassified data, seriously.. fun to check out..

Comment

& no 'serious' 'tude intended, dude..

I'd be rapt if any of the mentioned aircraft got a decent run at Reno..

Comment

He 100 race-modified for 460+ record, way back in `39..

Maybe.. there is still one hiding somewhere in Russia?
                Last edited by J.A.W.; 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

& no 'serious' 'tude intended, dude..

I'd be rapt if any of the mentioned aircraft got a decent run at Reno..
                  I was thinking we were talking about just what we would like to see turning the pylons. Didn't know we were trying to win with it.

Comment

For sure, it takes a real racer - plane, team & pilot - to win..

But we'd also all surely prefer that even 'stockers' ought to be given the chance to pump that WFO crackle,
                    & hustle on down course - rather than be babied around on zero boost, eh?
                    Last edited by J.A.W.; 08-20-2013, 12:41 AM.

Comment

At around 260MPH, it's slow as molasses in the Crimea in Winter, but I'd love to see an Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik lumber around the Unlimited Course!

Comment

& so long as that big Mikulin V12 is pumpin' - she'll sound the part too..

Comment

But we'd also all surely prefer that even 'stockers' ought to be given the chance to pump that WFO crackle,
                          & hustle on down course - rather than be babied around on zero boost, eh?
                          True, true. Seeing them fly would be cool. Seeing them REALLY fly would be..........amazing.

Comment

I agree with whoever nominated the lavochkin la-11 i do know where an la9 is in the cont7nental us that was airworthy but still in shipping crate from its kiwi sojurn
                            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Yeah, that one oughta be up & doing its evolutions..at Reno.. it is impressive..

I saw it at Ardmore ~10 years ago, being put through its - fresh from rebuild - flight testing..

Wonder what they wrung out of it.. @ 8,000ft..

Comment

One particular thought that has stuck in mind about that Lavochkin..

After seeing the closely packed 4 cannon engine-cowl package opened up..

.. & in combat..

Would've wanted a fair bit of trust in the old interrupter gear - 4 prop blades X 4 cannon = a bit of a dance..

..don't want it to get out of step, or 'toes' would be severely trodden on..

Comment

Working...
                                X