Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Entry List Posted

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
    Wing sweep angle exceeds the max allowed by the class rules...
    That would depend on how the wing sweep rule is written. Jetman's wing has an almost straight trailing edge making it more of a delta than a swept wing.

Comment

So am I to understand ... all 16 of these planes are going to race together?? (I don't think so). If no one elese will say it, I will..... We need a straight answer as to what has taken place with the Unlimited Class! Straight forward english! We now have 16 entries or are theses 16 warbird class planes or what is going on!

Comment

Originally posted by towerbuzz View Post
        So am I to understand ... all 16 of these planes are going to race together?? (I don't think so). If no one elese will say it, I will..... We need a straight answer as to what has taken place with the Unlimited Class! Straight forward english! We now have 16 entries or are theses 16 warbird class planes or what is going on!
        Aww geez, we're racing this September... it's Friday, grab a couple beers and think about your first day at RENO!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

No...........sixteen planes will not be racing..............there will be more
          Brian
          Last edited by supercub; 07-19-2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

The first year I went to Reno there were 12 Unlimiteds.
            Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
              The first year I went to Reno there were 12 Unlimiteds.
              Chris...
              Amen, Chris.

What a lot of people don't remember--or who have no clue about anything that happened at Reno prior to 2002, or whenever their first year was--is that on several occasions in the first 10 years of the event they had ONE Unlimited race per day. "Heat" race of some sort on one day, Consolation the next, Championship on Sunday.

ONE UNLIMITED RACE PER DAY.

In 1967 there were only two Unlimited races the whole week. No heats at all. Just a Consolation on Saturday and Championship on Sunday.

So I am just fine having four days worth of three Unlimited heats...even if it's only 5 planes per heat in the first couple days. If it's the RIGHT field of 16 planes that can still give you some pretty good racing on Sunday.

Comment

yeah, there's been some lean years. My first year was '72 and I've seen some small fields. 16 is fine with me;of course..the more/the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by towerbuzz View Post
                  Its pretty simple here. Its no different then in years past. Fast guys end up in the gold, slower in the lower classes. There will be 7 aircraft in the gold on Sunday. The rest spread in the Silver and Bronze. If a bunch break and lets say we are down to 12 planes. There will be a Gold and Silver on Sunday. Hope that is plain enough english for you Tower Buzz. There is no conspiracy here, just trying to have a race. Last year we only had 21 planes and one or two dropped out through the week. Its a pretty good bet that we will have a similar number of aircraft this year. So relax and come and join the races in September. As someone else pointed out. There have been years past that there were fewer aircraft then this year for sure. The unlimited's are coming to race and a race there will be. Pedal to the medal!!!!!!!

MJ

Comment

We're looking forward to some serious V-12 battles Matt!!

I for one feel that for the 50th, what a better cherry on top, than for a genuine post-2003 style 500mph lap....

- Joseph

Comment

To compare apples to apples from 2003 it would require a 515 mph lap on the current course.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                        To compare apples to apples from 2003 it would require a 515 mph lap on the current course.
                        Right...

The question for our Unlimited guys would be, on the new course, is it feasible? I should say yes..

Comment

And to beat Dago's 507 lap would require 522. I truly don't know if even a 515 is feasible on the course anymore, Stevo's 499 Qualifying is the equivalent of 484 on the old course. If memory serves me correctly the course in 2003 was around 9 miles and much more speed friendly.

(I am not in any way belittling anyones accomplishments on the new course) I just wish they hadn't snuck some Oranges in there to muddle things.

Comment

I hear ya Chris..I really do see where you are coming from.

I tend to feel, and it's just strictly on the outside looking in, that the new course needs to come with some new thinking, on behalf of the Unlimited pilots. I may be over stepping my bounds here, but aside from a very few, I noticed many of the pilots searching for the same cues, and the same lines as the old course, and in so doing, just naturally making it around the adjusted turns. That might work, but I think there are areas in which, if a pilot is not into traffic, could actually benefit from the new course. I would love to get some feedback on this one...

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                              And to beat Dago's 507 lap would require 522. I truly don't know if even a 515 is feasible on the course anymore, Stevo's 499 Qualifying is the equivalent of 484 on the old course. If memory serves me correctly the course in 2003 was around 9 miles and much more speed friendly.

(I am not in any way belittling anyones accomplishments on the new course) I just wish they hadn't snuck some Oranges in there to muddle things.
                              Can you explain how you arrived at the conclusion of 522 to beat 507?

The course was changed prior to the 2003 run to be more of an "actual" flight path vs pylon to pylon. This means the reported course speed was higher. All the changed after that were moving pylons and using the same type of calculation method. The course speeds were bumped up by about 2% from 2002 to 2003. Thus, the 507 average was actually around 497mph using the old calculations.

Michael

Comment

I had been told the course had been increased by approximately 3% length after 2003, If I am incorrect I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                X