AAFO, Matt Jackson referenced in NCAR article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAFO, Matt Jackson referenced in NCAR article

Today's Reno Gazette Journal has an Unlimited Warbird Class article citing Matt Jackson and AAFO as sources:

Re: AAFO, Matt Jackson referenced in NCAR article

If I'm reading that article correctly, it sounds like true racing at the Gold level has come to an end as we've known it. Several of Houghton's comments sound like speed limits are being imposed somewhere below 500 mph. I hope I'm wrong but, this article doesn't read well for true race fans. Also, he states that Ron Buccarelli is on the judging panel along with Smoot and Tiger. I thought Buccarelli was done with air racing after parking PM.

If speed limits are being imposed, it will have the top guys all bunched up with the pole sitter and unable to pass. This might be great for photo ops but, will be another nail in the coffin.

Perhaps "Limited" Warbird Class would be a more appropriate name...
    Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
      If I'm reading that article correctly, it sounds like true racing at the Gold level has come to an end as we've known it. Several of Houghton's comments sound like speed limits are being imposed somewhere below 500 mph. I hope I'm wrong but, this article doesn't read well for true race fans. Also, he states that Ron Buccarelli is on the judging panel along with Smoot and Tiger. I thought Buccarelli was done with air racing after parking PM.

If speed limits are being imposed, it will have the top guys all bunched up with the pole sitter and unable to pass. This might be great for photo ops but, will be another nail in the coffin.

Perhaps "Limited" Warbird Class would be a more appropriate name...
      I was wondering the same thing as I read that article. I can't tell if it is just poorly written or they are saying there will be speed limits. When I went back and read it, it seemed like they were talking about the stock warbird and why they are important to the races, but then why reference the 500mph. Bottom line, this is a cluster****! From the comments by JCP and some others by Brant Seghetti of FB it seems like some of the pilots are being left out of the loop and now I'm starting to wonder if the fans are being spun a bit as well. Still hoping though!

Comment

When are they really going to put out the rules/regulations as we are pushing August?Its getting to sound like our Government. A lot of questions but no answers. I think I'll call for the 5th (amendment) & have a cold one.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

The more that Mike Houghton speaks the more confused I get. Waiting to make my reservations, but this article certainly doesn't help. What exactly is going on?

Comment

I thought it confusing too......but the way I look at it, there's other racing classes, and I'm sure everything in the warbird/unlimited .......maybe we should just say "The Bad Boys of Air Racing" will all work out and will be great racing. All I know, I'll be there, already have my RV spot reserved.
            Brian
            Last edited by supercub; 07-14-2013, 11:27 AM.

Comment

You boys will settle down about two weeks into September...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
                The more that Mike Houghton speaks the more confused I get.
                Yeah, no sh*t. If Houghton thinks a watered down version of unlimiteds is going to save him, I think he's misguided.

They say the only difference between and optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is usually a little more informed. I am neither optimistic nor informed but the press releases aren't helping in either case.

GP

Comment

Doesn't it seem like Houghton is trying to ease us into a watered down 2013?.

Like I said in a rant in different thread...If they continue to be this cryptic this late in the game they are hiding something they know the fans will hate...Of course seeing any racing and racers is worth the drive for me as it will be for all of the die hard fans...But this talk of small fields and slower races (speed limits?) makes it sound more like a parade/air show demonstration than the actual balls to the wall racing we attend the event to see...I keep hearing "just calm down" and "the fans will be happy come September" from various folks, but there has been nothing official stated with clarity to alleviate concerns and most that has been said only adds to the concerns...Again...I will be there like I always have, hoping for the best
                  Last edited by johnnyrace; 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                    Doesn't it seem like Houghton is trying to ease us into a watered down 2013?.

Like I said in a rant in different thread...If they continue to be this cryptic this late in the game they are hiding something they know the fans will hate...Of course seeing any racing and racers is worth the drive for me as it will be for all of the die hard fans...But this talk of small fields and slower races (speed limits?) makes it sound more like a parade/air show demonstration than the actual balls to the wall racing we attend the event to see...I keep hearing "just calm down" and "the fans will be happy come September" from various folks, but there has been nothing official stated with clarity to alleviate concerns and most that has been said only adds to the concerns...Again...I will be there like I always have, hoping for the best
                    That newspaper is known for misquoting things. Such as the comment about Buccarelli. The paper still thinks he owns Precious Metal therefore when a comment is made that Precious Metal's pilot is involved in the new class the print that as being Buccarelli. That article is pure crap and I'm pretty sure less than 1/3 rd of it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                      That newspaper is known for misquoting things. Such as the comment about Buccarelli. The paper still thinks he owns Precious Metal therefore when a comment is made that Precious Metal's pilot is involved in the new class the print that as being Buccarelli. That article is pure crap and I'm pretty sure less than 1/3 rd of it is true.
                      Right on the money with that. Anyone remember their posts after the crash? BS left and right
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I also am with Wild Bill on this one.

And even if most of the article was legit, I for one feel that we are quite fortunate to have racing AT ALL. If the press is led to believe that we're not going 500 anymore, that's fine with me. Remember, if we had never started lying to the press in 2003 about lap speeds to start with, we still would have never read anything published over 500...

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                          I for one feel that we are quite fortunate to have racing AT ALL.
                          Boy oh Boy Joseph, you said a big mouthful there!

"Our" hold on keeping the history of this sport going... I mean GOING, now... is more tenuousus than ever... If anyone is put off by all of this, and does not buy tickets because they think this isn't going to be "real" air racing.. THEY will be the losers. The rest of us will be there doing what we have as fans for decades... enjoying the ONLY true air racing in the entire world...

Obviously, a lot of folks read this site and what we post here, wouldn't it be better if the baseline, hard core fan site that we are spoke with a positive voice about this thing we hold so dear?

I do try to stay in the background as much as possible here but sometimes, I just gotta pull the pin and rant... ok... </rant>...
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                            When are they really going to put out the rules/regulations as we are pushing August?Its getting to sound like our Government. A lot of questions but no answers. I think I'll call for the 5th (amendment) & have a cold one.
                            Thanks, I concur. We are less than 90 days out and the rules are not yet published? Hmmm, Why Not?

Comment

I think Mike and RARA are saying things to appease the masses (ie: the general public that does not know anything about air racing) because in today's "politically correct" world, where everyone has their say concerning things that they think are good for, or bad for the general population, I'm sure that there's people out there that are thinking "we can't have this, this is too dangerous, we must put a stop to this." If "they" had their way, they would be "protecting the population" for the good of all humanity by ending the air races. If you make them think that it's been slowed down and basically castrated, then they will be OK with it. Bottom line is that I think that we'll be seeing the speeds and racing that we always have............
                              Last edited by t-dub; 07-14-2013, 06:45 PM.
                              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Working...
                              X