Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Announcement from RARA

News from RARA:

"Strega" and all "Big Boys" are in. But only 16 total Unlimiteds are registered. Hmm.........
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: Today's Announcement from RARA

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
    News from RARA:

"Strega" and all "Big Boys" are in. But only 16 total Unlimiteds are registered. Hmm.........
    I was thinking the same thing. 16 didn't make sense to me.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      I was thinking the same thing. 16 didn't make sense to me.
      Believe it. That's the number. I'm glad the fast guys will be there, but I wish RARA would sort things out with everyone so we could at least get close to a full field. I have heard the jet count is waaaay down too, but nothing solid.

Comment

All told, there are 16 Unlimiteds scheduled to compete in the UWRC, and more than 113 planes total racing, with more to come, in Reno’s six racing classes.
        Ain't over yet!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"with more to come"

I'm hoping a lot more

Comment

I don't think the deadline for 'late entries' has been reached yet, has it? I would assume that gentlemen like JCP are simply waiting on more info! See rules.

- Joseph

Comment

I am assuming that the 16 have "Commited" to attend and race hence the press release.
              I wonder if anything will change once the rules and purse are published......
              And then there are always the financial and mechanical gremlins that knock a few out.

Going to be a light year any way you look at it.

Comment

So what number is considered a full Field? Is there a maximum number?
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                  So what number is considered a full Field? Is there a maximum number?
                  Brian
                  I believe 28 is a full field and 24 is the minimum number for a full purse. (whatever that happens to be.....)
                  More than 28 can show up and try to qualify, but the race field is capped at 28. At least it was that way when there were rules.....

Comment

He will be trying to unseat Hinton, who has won Unlimited Gold in each of the four years that he has competed in Reno
                    Sparky won unlimited gold???

Comment

16 Unlimited Entries with "more to come"...Hope so.

I hate to focus on my own selfishness as a fan and crew member , but the last two years have been the most stressful, complex, confusing, and vague regarding this event in history...Of course after the tragedy at 2011 it is a miracle it's still happening at all and I totally understood why 2012 was up in the air (no pun intended) , but I am amazed at the constant politicking and games that are still being played at this late date for 2013...With this being the 50th Anniversary I would expect it to be a very special event with the field to be LARGER than ever before... I would think many who maybe have not participated in recent years or ever before would want to come, and some others would also put aside personal issues and want to take part as well.

Its very apparent that the safety issue is severe enough to make many unwilling to bend as their lives are obviously more important than the success of the Reno Air Races...I was under the impression there was a compromise in the "new rules" to alleviate some of those concerns and to help insure a full field...It obviously was not quite the fix that was needed (serious question...has anyone seen the"new rules" yet?)...I understand there are many agency's and people that have had to come together on agreements to make the "new rules" acceptable to as many as possible, but I hate to say that it all has the feel of a slow death for this event.

Yes I have read all of RARA's announcements and they are certainly doing their best to keep the excitement alive, but what else can they do?...Of course they are pumping up the rhetoric to get the fans asses in the seats, and I would expect the fans to respond by showing up...But if the fans do show up and RARA provides them with a half assed event with races consisting of 4 or 5 airplanes per race (I am referring to Unlimiteds here though the Jets and Sport classes are also certainly affected) or fewer classes due to an anemic entry turn out, how many of those fans will show up the next year?...How many will use their only vacation for the year to see a shadow of what this event once was?...2012 was already very light regarding crowd turn out and it certainly must put stress on RARA to keep it going...Most loyal fans will always show up, but the majority of fans are still one offs or occasional attendees so if you provide them with less than what would even be a normal National Championship Air Races on the 50th Anniversary, I fear the repercussions will be devastating...Now I know this event is more than just "Unlimiteds" , but we all know that they bring in a significant portion of the fan base...I am holding out hope that the field increases significantly from the 16 that are currently entered...Or have I missed a big point regarding the new UWRC ?...Do other warbirds that would race in a Medallion or Bronze class constitute a different group of racers?...Are the 16 entries so far racing only for Gold so the Silver and Bronze would still be full with the others?

I am sure I am likely over reacting so I apologize in advance...I am sure come September I will be there with a big ole smile on my face as usual...But I am certainly getting weary of feeling concern due to the smattering of actual information and reading the obvious discontentment from guys Like JCP of whom we would ALL love to see on the ramp...Many fans are basing their decisions to attend on the info they get here on AAFO and from RARA...With two months to go time is getting short and more questions need answering...Thanks for reading my hopefully needless rant...my head was about to explode.
                      Last edited by johnnyrace; 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Having a lot of cameras in the cockpit are going to be important now more than ever.

Comment

Having a lot of cameras in the cockpit are going to be important now more than ever.

Comment

Will the cameras be facing backwards? so you can see who's behind you on the course?
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                              Will the cameras be facing backwards? so you can see who's behind you on the course?
                              Brian
                              One facing forward and two facing each wing would be the way I would like it. The gopro3 with the wide angle would almost show 360 POV at that point. Not only would it show what but why. A pilot is the only one that knows what/ why for a change in line or altitude. Video proof may be the only way to show what they did when it happened in light of a protest.

Comment

Working...
                              X