2013 Rules Of Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 Rules Of Competition

Sounds like it should be.......most everything in flying, the final authority is the PIC.
    Brian
    Last edited by supercub; 07-19-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
      The interpretation of major mods should be interesting.

Comment

It appears we have the verbiage the pilots wanted:
        "The maximum racing altitude, as established in Section IX Racing is not intended to place a ceiling on the pilot’s ability to race in a safe and prudent manner during competition. In the interest of safety, altitude deviations AGL are authorized, followed by a safe return to the race course."

But there's also a portion that states "A planned excursion above the maximum altitude solely for the purpose of passing is not acceptable."

Do any of you foresee this as being an issue? I'm not trying to stir anything up, I'm just wondering if this resolves the concerns the Unlimited pilots had with the max altitude rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
          PIC retains judgement without penalty.
          "A planned excursion above the maximum altitude solely for the purpose of passing is not acceptable"

Not so sure about that.

Comment

We know it's dangerous....

Curious of Matt, or Will, or anyone else who has flown the new course, might have something to share in regards to passing...

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
              "A planned excursion above the maximum altitude solely for the purpose of passing is not acceptable"

Not so sure about that.
              So, does that mean that if I'm in the lead and I fly at 250 feet just around the inside of the deadline, that nobody can pass me, since since the overtaking plane is supposed to pass above and outside?

Or can somebody pull a Tiger and pass on the inside?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                The interpretation of major mods should be interesting.
                Part 21 - CERTIFICATION PROCEDURES FOR PRODUCTS, ARTICLES, AND PARTS
                Subpart D--Changes to Type Certificates
                Sec. 21.93 Classification of changes in type design

(a) In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph (b) of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A "minor change" is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are "major changes"

In the eyes of the FAA it's a pretty low bar to be classified as "major change"

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                  Part 21 - CERTIFICATION PROCEDURES FOR PRODUCTS, ARTICLES, AND PARTS
                  Subpart D--Changes to Type Certificates
                  Sec. 21.93 Classification of changes in type design

(a) In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph (b) of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A "minor change" is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are "major changes"

In the eyes of the FAA it's a pretty low bar to be classified as "major change"
                  Aw, come on guys, you know it's just an "Experiment", not a certified airplane. Nobody is certifying anything here.

Comment

How many "stock" warbirds are true to the type cert? Not many!

Comment

can you name any warbirds that have a type data cert?
                      the cavalier mustang and maybe the p-38 are the only ones I can think of,there are some in limited cat but not sure they have a full type data cert
                      www.davemorss.com

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                        So, does that mean that if I'm in the lead and I fly at 250 feet just around the inside of the deadline, that nobody can pass me, since since the overtaking plane is supposed to pass above and outside?

Or can somebody pull a Tiger and pass on the inside?
                        While the rules state no inside pass. It has been briefed for years that if the leading aircraft intentionally drifts outside the inside line for no other reason then to close the door an inside pass will be allowed. It has to, it has been for 50 years and will continue to be allowed. I also don't see RARA calling a safe clear pass high if there is no other place to go. This is not like Nascar guys where you just get off the gas and run behind i until you can pass. We will have to see !!!! I am sure all the racers will be briefed throughly about flying in the lead and on passing and will be aware of their options here.

MJ

Comment

Thank-you Matt. Makes perfect sense to me. Visions of a certain #10 and #28 come back to mind, I think It was going into pylon two, mid 90's? Forget exactly.

- Joseph

Comment

Rule #1 still applies. Fly the airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                              Thank-you Matt. Makes perfect sense to me. Visions of a certain #10 and #28 come back to mind, I think It was going into pylon two, mid 90's? Forget exactly.

- Joseph
                              Yeah, that's exactly it...Dwelle was sat down for the remainder because of that, but from a safety standpoint it seemed like the only thing he could have done. 1994.

Comment

I was always of the persuasion, after reviewing the video, that Dwelle wasn't at fault.. '94 sounds right.

Comment

Working...
                                X