Inline Horses or Wright Roundies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline Horses or Wright Roundies?

So, will all of this silly season reaching a quiet point, let us ask the question; Which will prevail this September? The Inline Horses, or the Wright Roundies?

My brief speculation;

To see 'Voodoo' grace the ramp at Reno, will surely mean one thing; and that's business. Will this program work as fluidly as we'd all like to see? Just what is #5 capable of? We've seen some impressive numbers, and heard lots of talk. How much speed was gained with the semi-recent wing modifications?

I for one am not surprised to find that 'Strega' will be back. Inside sources were leaking this as early as last October. The question is, are they going to set a new self-standard? I wouldn't be surprised if the motor in the witch isn't as hot this year, but I would imagine it won't need to be.

'Precious Metal'; The dark horse of these ponies. Personally, I believe we could see near the 505 mark for a top lap speed. Any more than that? Maybe... Thom's line looked consistent, and clean last year.

Now for the Wright Roundies

'September Fury' - Let's not be fooled by last years conservative effort. My question is, are rumors true that Hoot will be riding a different fury, without a Wright, this year???

That brings us to the 'Bear' I wonder, just what Mr. Lewis might have up his sleeves. The rumor mill really has been pretty quiet, and outside of a few photos from Texas, the casual bystander such as myself is pretty oblivious. Maybe a trip to Grangeville is in store for me?

I don't mean to leave out the little guy, but I just don't think Sherm's going to make it. Would love to be proved wrong!

- Joseph
    Last edited by Idaho_cowpony; 07-02-2013, 04:12 PM.

Re: Inline Horses or Wright Roundies?

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    'September Fury' - Let's not be fooled by last years conservative effort. My question is, are rumors true that Hoot will be riding a different fury, without a Wright, this year???
    I haven't heard a thing concerning "Hoot" not flying 2-3-2. Is anyone going to be flying my favorite racer this year???????????????????????????????????????
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

505 for precious metal would be a serious accomplishment. I doubt that could be achieved in one years worth of mods, but I would love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
        505 for precious metal would be a serious accomplishment. I doubt that could be achieved in one years worth of mods, but I would love to see it.
        The POTENTIAL is there, but so many variables. Dago went 507, Steveo qualified at 499, so I think it could happen. It's just wind, density altitude, humidity...all that has to be just right. They're keepin' us salivating with little tidbits. I'm thinkin' Sept. is gonna be EPIC! The inline vs. round thing really is drivin' me nuts. I'm a inline-guy, but whenever I see video of Hoot and 232 in last year's Gold...........oh, brother!.......he could pull it off. That is one fast Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
          The POTENTIAL is there, but so many variables. Dago went 507, Steveo qualified at 499, so I think it could happen. It's just wind, density altitude, humidity...all that has to be just right. They're keepin' us salivating with little tidbits. I'm thinkin' Sept. is gonna be EPIC! The inline vs. round thing really is drivin' me nuts. I'm a inline-guy, but whenever I see video of Hoot and 232 in last year's Gold...........oh, brother!.......he could pull it off. That is one fast Fury.
          The rumors and anticipation for "the best ever" racing always seems to happen about this time. But with just a couple exceptions from my perspective, it never turns out that way come Sunday (talking about racing for the win). Potentially fast racers either don't show up, can't overcome the gremlins to go as fast as predicted, or break.

I've only been going to Reno since 1978, and I can really only think of 2, maybe 3, Sunday championship races that lived up to this hype. 1980 (not for the racing per se, but the amazing Cinderella story), 1987 (Strega smashed qualifying, heat, and championship speed records without the typical engine blow-up), and 1992 when the top 3 finishers all broke the championship race speed record. My list is subjective, yours may be different, but I doubt anyone can seriously claim more than a handful of truly amazing Sunday races for the win since 1964.

Comment

Oh hell... I can, it's easy... EVERY SUNDAY at RENO is the best racing ever!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Personally I'm a round engine fan! Would be awesome if RB or 232 could win Gold!
              But....... my prediction for the 50th is PM all the way!
              sigpic

Comment

I certainly have my favorite when it comes to inlines vs. roundies, but my dream race has nothing to do with one or the other winning. I would love to see all the stars align and have the top 4 in the class make it to Sunday with no mechanical issues and run an honest balls out race so that we can all see what each is capable of. A pipe dream, I realize, but a good one.

Comment

I would have to agree badman, I've been going since 76 and there have been few really epic races that lived up to the hype. Most of the drama happens on the trip to the final race. BUT the race only lasts minutes while the fantasy, anticipation, expectations and excitement lasts from September to September and all of this nonsense just heightens it!
                  It's kinda like going on a first date with a really beautiful woman. You never what you are gonna get.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                    The POTENTIAL is there, but so many variables. Dago went 507, Steveo qualified at 499, so I think it could happen. It's just wind, density altitude, humidity...all that has to be just right.
                    Dago and Strega are MUCH cleaner airframes. That giant margarita mixer on the front of PM also adds a large amount of drag. Also, no one has ever done the amount of work to an Allison as is done to the merlins in the racing stangs.

You might as well be comparing PM to a Sea fury.

Comment

That giant margarita mixer on the front of PM also adds a large amount of drag.
                      How do you figure that?

Comment

Dago and Strega are MUCH cleaner airframes. That giant margarita mixer on the front of PM also adds a large amount of drag. Also, no one has ever done the amount of work to an Allison as is done to the merlins in the racing stangs.

So what you're saying, is that if Precious Metal HAD a Allison, it wouldn't have the potential... I get it now!

Comment

Hahahaha! Darn I think I just peed a little. Only when they stop turning!
                          Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 07-03-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

There have been 31 wins of radials over the years since 1964.

41 wins with V-12's, of which 6 were Griffons.

Allison's have never had a win. (Come on JC, this is your job!)

Comment

Now, I would love to see a G-6 powering a Yak, or full-size composite 'stang. Maybe a Cobra...

Comment

Working...
                              X