Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear September Fury

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
    2-3-2 (September Fury) getting some prep work over at Chino, shot last week:

Prepping the Lewis Racing LLC Sea Fury 232 @ Planes of Fame Air Museum with Steve Hinton, John Hinton and Ronnie TippettSea Fury 232 is a MK-11, manufactured...

Nice to see her getting ground runs under decent power so early before Reno...especially considering that last year, she was sitting in a hanger without engine or engine mount and was covered in a layer of dust 3 weeks before race week.
    Little Steven eyeing up the competition I see! Why do they have the fold up wings on it still? Seems kinda dangerous at high speeds I would think. Were the yellow ones foldable? I think those were full race wings. Should've kept those on
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Do the Rare Bear and 232 use the same cowling?
      Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
        Do the Rare Bear and 232 use the same cowling?
        No. Besides the intake on the top, 232 uses the stock Sea Fury cowling. The one on Rare Bear is a modified DC-7 cowling I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
          No. Besides the intake on the top, 232 uses the stock Sea Fury cowling. The one on Rare Bear is a modified DC-7 cowling I believe...
          Yes, in a former life the cowling on the Bear was a DC-7 cowling.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            Little Steven eyeing up the competition I see! Why do they have the fold up wings on it still? Seems kinda dangerous at high speeds I would think. Were the yellow ones foldable? I think those were full race wings. Should've kept those on
            They have always folded. Rear Bears wings fold as well.

Comment

Yep, Rare Bear's wings fold near the tips, like all Bearcats.

The only time that September Fury's wings did not fold was when they put the short wings on...the former Signal Sea Fury/Miss Merced (and then Critical Mass) wings. The current wings on September Fury are the ones used during the 2006 Unlimited gold victory...stock length, folding ability present (although the folding mechanisms themselves may have been removed to reduce weight)...but the wing was reworked to have a better profile for airflow. Both sets of wings are "race wings"...just different lengths.
              "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
              -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

While we're talking about September Fury, check out the Facebook fan page for the racer:

https://www.facebook.com/Go232

Also, while on Facebook. go to "2-3-2 (September Fury) Air Racer Fan Group".

43 days until racing begins...
                -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                  I respectfully disagree. The airplane will continue to evolve good, bad, or otherwise. What made the airplane special was the people around it. Would Strega be the same without Tiger and his crew?
                  No, Strega wouldn't be the same BUT it would still be Strega. That's what I'm saying. Bear won't be the same, BUT it's still the Bear..........
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Does anyone ever hear from Mike Brown? Does he attend the races at all? Amazing how someone can be so involved and then just disappears.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                      Does anyone ever hear from Mike Brown? Does he attend the races at all? Amazing how someone can be so involved and then just disappears.
                      Brian
                      I guess moving to Hawaii can do that......
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Big Steve took 2-3-2 up for a bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiWA...e_gdata_player

Yay.
                        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Working...
                        X