Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear September Fury

Originally posted by RichH View Post
    Well, remember though that the F8F was originally designed to include the R2800-30W which utilized updraft carburetion and better optimised the wing-root intake setup. So you can't really say that the induction system employed prior to this (assuming it really has been changed) on the Bear was entirely Grumman tested and approved.

Some ram-air effect is undoubtedly lost in getting the air up and around for the downdraft setup on the 3350, so you would think an over-the-top induction would improve things with regards to ram rise and manifold pressure. But, as discussed here... closing up the wing roots may be a whole 'nother issue.
    The reality here is not if the engine will see better ram, as it should. The problem becomes what will the wing root do, being thick and having the air in that area go super sonic. The inlet was placed there to make the root think it was thinner. As it was, you would see shock waves form at the leading edge, so I know its a critical area, especially at the speeds Rare Bear has seen in the past. What it will do now is anyone's guess. Testing will certainly show what will happen. Don't sell the Texas boys short on this. Time will certainly tell. I'll take the position that I will hold my opinion until then.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
      The reality here is not if the engine will see better ram, as it should. The problem becomes what will the wing root do....<huge snip>Don't sell the Texas boys short on this. Time will certainly tell. I'll take the position that I will hold my opinion until then.
      Matt, I think we've both had the same conversation with this particular yoda... I hate to say, I hope he is wrong...
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Was 232's tail wheel issue ever fixed? Can't remember if they fixed it before Sunday gold last year or not.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          Was 232's tail wheel issue ever fixed? Can't remember if they fixed it before Sunday gold last year or not.
          Yes it was fixed and stayed up on Sunday.

Comment

Regarding 2-3-2 (my hands-down favorite Unlimited since Mike Brown modified her)...I've been chatting with a few people "in the know" about her and they keep telling me that I am in for a BIG surprise this year. Other than the fact that they can actually push the engine MP above 65 inches this year (last year was the engine break-in period according to crew members and as a result, power numbers were restricted to warm the engine up), any idea what the "big surprise" is for 2-3-2 this year?
            "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
            -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
              Regarding 2-3-2 (my hands-down favorite Unlimited since Mike Brown modified her)...I've been chatting with a few people "in the know" about her and they keep telling me that I am in for a BIG surprise this year. Other than the fact that they can actually push the engine MP above 65 inches this year (last year was the engine break-in period according to crew members and as a result, power numbers were restricted to warm the engine up), any idea what the "big surprise" is for 2-3-2 this year?
              My take;

Last year, stock motor with the 'slow-no'...and run at conservative settings...

This year? Well, it's supposed to have had a race engine built.....

- Joseph

Comment

According to crew, it'll be the same setup as last year. They just didn't have enough time to break the engine in before race week...wanted at least 50 hours on the motor, didn't get it...boil-off system problems delayed progress. So no mechanical changes, but Hoot can push the go lever more.
                -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Rare Bear isn't the same as when Lyle owned it. But I'm glad its racing and not a gate guard somewhere.

N25Y isn't white, has no lightning bolts, isn't in the US, doesn't fly gracefully to the (cheesy yet appropriate) sounds of 'Ballad pour Adeline,' and isn't owned by the Gardner family... but I'm glad its not still bent up in a cotton field, or worse yet... beer cans.

As I sneak up on the end of my 50th year on the planet, coincidentally with the 50th year of NCAR , I've realized that I'm in danger of turning into "one of those" old farts who think nothing is as good as the good ol' days. Well, some things aren't and that's a fact... but many other things are BETTER. If everything stayed the same, it would get awfully boring. As it is, we get to see if my fellow Texans make 77 faster or inadvertently slow it down. We get to see if Voodoo can finally shake the bad luck and prove that she's the same class airframe as Strega and Dago Red. And speaking of, I'm VERY sorry Dago Red isn't bending they pylons too, but I'm glad she's not (yet...) a gate guard or beer cans too. I'm trying really hard to enjoy the memories of things that aren't the same, while embracing the changes that make life interesting.... not the least of which is a mixmaster Mustang in Florida with a truly unknown potential... It'll be a good year.. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
                    According to crew, it'll be the same setup as last year....but Hoot can push the go lever more.
                    Uh-oh. She ran a terrific race last year. Hoot is quite "the MAN" and if "push the go lever more" is the case, Sept. is gonna be WILD! oh geez..........50-some days of sleepless nights and ramp-fever settin' in.

Comment

Hoot sure flies a beautiful line!
                      Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                        Hoot sure flies a beautiful line!
                        I don't have my RENO 2012 roomate's great shot of Hoot on the course last year handy, but, you are correct, he does, indeed, fly that course well!

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

does hoot fly a line or is it an orbit?
                          bob burns
                          ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                          "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
                            Rare Bear will always be Rare Bear. The 3-blade has been gone for over 10 years. Look how others (Strega, Voodoo, PM, Czech Mate) have evolved over the years. Scoops change, wing tips and tails change, props change etc. but they'll always be who they are. This is just another chapter in Bears life. The question is, will it be a good one, or a grim one. We will all find out soon! Anticipation is building!
                            I respectfully disagree. The airplane will continue to evolve good, bad, or otherwise. What made the airplane special was the people around it. Would Strega be the same without Tiger and his crew?

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                              I respectfully disagree. The airplane will continue to evolve good, bad, or otherwise. What made the airplane special was the people around it. Would Strega be the same without Tiger and his crew?
                              Agreed!

Comment

2-3-2 (September Fury) getting some prep work over at Chino, shot last week:

Prepping the Lewis Racing LLC Sea Fury 232 @ Planes of Fame Air Museum with Steve Hinton, John Hinton and Ronnie TippettSea Fury 232 is a MK-11, manufactured...

Nice to see her getting ground runs under decent power so early before Reno...especially considering that last year, she was sitting in a hanger without engine or engine mount and was covered in a layer of dust 3 weeks before race week.
                                -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Working...
                                X