Precious Metal Flight Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Precious Metal Flight Testing

Medium speeds and high G today. 400mph @ 6.5G's. No issues whatsoever.

We have a way to gauge if the canopy is lifting or bending at all, and so far, no movement. 0.005" would show. Unlike the old installation which was somewhat flexible. So, great success up to this point.

The roll rates with the new wingtips remain the same. No change in stall behavior, though we will do a bit more stall testing to verify numbers in different configurations.

Nothing to report on the strakes other than that they tufted ok.

The scoop does not cool as well in slow climbs, but it's easily managed with speed, power and, if necessary, dooor/spraybar. There's enough airflow to cool on the ground as well.

Time and weather permitting, we'll go for high speed/high G tomorrow. Otherwise it'll have to wait until after this airshow weekend!

Backseat? Well... Let me just say this. There will be no provisions for a back seat during the races. The extended canopy is built for a different reason. It's to take all of you along by means of a really fancy HD camera mount. You will all get to see the course in a way that has never before been captured on film...

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
      Medium speeds and high G today. 400mph @ 6.5G's. No issues whatsoever.

We have a way to gauge if the canopy is lifting or bending at all, and so far, no movement. 0.005" would show. Unlike the old installation which was somewhat flexible. So, great success up to this point.

The roll rates with the new wingtips remain the same. No change in stall behavior, though we will do a bit more stall testing to verify numbers in different configurations.

Nothing to report on the strakes other than that they tufted ok.

The scoop does not cool as well in slow climbs, but it's easily managed with speed, power and, if necessary, dooor/spraybar. There's enough airflow to cool on the ground as well.

Time and weather permitting, we'll go for high speed/high G tomorrow. Otherwise it'll have to wait until after this airshow weekend!

Backseat? Well... Let me just say this. There will be no provisions for a back seat during the races. The extended canopy is built for a different reason. It's to take all of you along by means of a really fancy HD camera mount. You will all get to see the course in a way that has never before been captured on film...
      Any chance that camera will be tied in with the Breitling jumbo trons?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        Any chance that camera will be tied in with the Breitling jumbo trons?
        I can't promise that, but we are working on that possibility. It's very difficult to broadcast an HD signal. All I can give you is a big "maybe".

Comment

I've never had a favorite at Reno, I've pulled for everyone........that has changed, I'm pulling for PM.......why?.....because he shares more with us bleacher seaters then anyone else I've seen.........and now a mod so we can have a not before seen perspective of the course........WOW.........thanks Thom
          Brian
          PS: Personally, I don't care about a back seat ride, but would love to get some stick time Always fun to dream
          Last edited by supercub; 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Thom, all I can say is YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

PM has always been one of my favorites. Now, its THE favorite.
            Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
              I've never had a favorite at Reno, I've pulled for everyone........that has changed, I'm pulling for PM.......why?.....because he shares more with us bleacher seaters then anyone else I've seen.........and now a mod so we can have a not before seen perspective of the course........WOW.........thanks Thom
              Brian
              PS: Personally, I don't care about a back seat ride, but would love to get some stick time Always fun to dream
              Thom came up to section 3 last year. Easily one of the most approachable and genuinely thrilled to be amongst the fans pilots I have ever encountered.

Come back and say hello again this year Thom!

Comment

Thom, was just curious, was it ever determined why the gear door failed last year?
                Brian

Comment

Thom,

Has the new canopy improved visibility?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                    Thom, was just curious, was it ever determined why the gear door failed last year?
                    Brian
                    From whet the crew said after it happened a detent spring that holds the door latch broke causing it to open. Once Thom put the power up it ripped off the airframe down the chute.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                      From whet the crew said after it happened a detent spring that holds the door latch broke causing it to open. Once Thom put the power up it ripped off the airframe down the chute.
                      Broken up lock spring.

Comment

Am very anxious to hear how the improvements are testing out? I would suspect that the wing changes alone will provide ample notice on the speeds... Certainly one of the biggest improvements that can be made for aerodynamic efficiency.

I'm going to through out a guess on TAS around 5k:

'88 - 485mph
                        '12 - 525mph
                        '13 - 540-550?

I guess time will tell... Best of luck with the testing program guys!

- Joseph

Comment

Quiet in here..... way too quiet....
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My thoughts exactly Wayne!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              Quiet in here..... way too quiet....
                              Sorry, weather hit Thursday. Next flying opportunity won't be until after this AirShow weekend. Then we'll bring some Griffon inspired noise!

I can report engine parts are starting to arrive. It'll be an interesting build...

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
                                Sorry, weather hit Thursday. Next flying opportunity won't be until after this AirShow weekend. Then we'll bring some Griffon inspired noise!

I can report engine parts are starting to arrive. It'll be an interesting build...
                                Man....Nixon really outdid himself this year!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X