Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Precious Metal Flight Testing

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
    That may hold true in racing environments where the competitors are essentially using the same or very similar equipment. The Gold level Unlimiteds are so dissimilar that there is little to be kept secret. And, no one is asking for top-secret info. How about a "we've resolved the cooling issue on RB, see you in September"? I don't think there's a big problem with all the other Bearcats, Yaks and Sea Furys copying each other. The two closest aircraft at that level are Strega and Voodoo and they don't appear to be copying each others stuff each year. I would image that this would be a much larger issue in the other classes where the aircraft are much more similar.
    I can say with 100% authority if you asked Bill Kerchenfaut right now at this very moment what they're doing to Voodoo, his response would be "I don't know, what have you heard?" And even if I told him right down to the nth degree EXACTLY what's going on, he's say "Wow, that sounds interesting...." and not another word.

Trust me....regardless of how similar or dis-similar the Unlimiteds are, the guys at the top aren't going to say a word.

Comment

Glad you guys like it.

As Michael mentioned, we have very few secrets (besides the paint job...). And there are several reasons for it.

First, we don't know everything there is to know about air racing and how to go fast. No one does. In fact, anything beyond 528mph is undiscovered territory. So what happens when you're open about things, people tend to want to tell you things as well. Especially from retired, experienced crew chiefs... They have nothing to loose and want to share information. Both about successful mods and things that simply didn't work, or even more importantly, something potentially dangerous. But if you treat them like mushrooms, chances are not much useful info will be returned. I won't live long enough to discover everything for myself...

Second, being an east-coaster, not part of the established racing crowd, I think it would be a mistake to keep a lot of secrets. If I'm tight-lipped about what I do, the players involved would probably not be very receptive. Including the host and the FAA. And rightfully so, who could fault them?

Third, we do this for fun. I have a standing order in my pit to be friendly and receptive to everyone. If I ever catch a team member being short with a fan, you better believe they'll be talking to me behind the race trailer. If it wasn't for the fans, none of us would be doing what we're doing. Sure, there are some players that probably could afford it, but we're not part of that, very limited, group. I also think it's very important to "keep the train moving" with updates, interviews, pictures or whatever brings attention to the team. It's good for air racing as a whole. We have a very fragile sand box and we need to take care of it. Make more people want to come play in it. Not chase people away. It should last a long time if we promote it properly.

That being said, we'll have more updates soon. We're in the middle of aerodynamic testing, albeit slowed by weather. I haven't had time to fly in the mornings (yes, I work for a living) but we'll have it knocked out pretty soon. After which we'll be starting the FWF work. Pictures of the engine build will follow in the weeks to come.

Stay tuned, more to come from the, not so quiet, PM corner.

Comment

Thanks Thom! I find it quite appropriate that your last comment was Post-51 on this forum. Looks like everything is aligning for Team PM.
        Sky Critter

Comment

We certainly need more people like Thom, who understand that our sport has to be marketed to the general public, Thanks for building up the excitement for the 50th

Comment

Originally posted by mmu2 View Post
            We certainly need more people like Thom, who understand that our sport has to be marketed to the general public, Thanks for building up the excitement for the 50th
            Hey, there has to be a good reason that PM has become the new "People's Racer"... Go PM!!!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
              On top of that Thom has to sell a lot of T shirts to pay for it all. You need fans for that!

Town
              That's why I bought one in Kissimmee earlier this year and I'll be getting more at the 50th. Hope I can get the new ones signed like the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
                GI have a standing order in my pit to be friendly and receptive to everyone. If I ever catch a team member being short with a fan, you better believe they'll be talking to me behind the race trailer.
                This is freakin' awesome.

Comment

Don't she just look awesome with the new mods and paint!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 07-01-2013, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Real funny Bill!!

Comment

Maybe something like the old XP75. Time for a cold one.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

If you have a FEW cold ones and squint juuuust right, it looks like...
                        a blurry airplane.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                          Don't she just look awesome with the new mods and paint!
                          Oh man, you really need to buy a better camera. That picture is a bit pixelated

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                            Oh man, you really need to buy a better camera. That picture is a bit pixelated

Someone had the settings 180 out. The prop is stopped and the airplane is blurred...

Comment

Someone get ahold of Victor on the intergalactic comm, STAT...
                              Sky Critter

Comment

If Victor took it we could see the mods. Also, every screw, rivet, tool scratch and polish swirl.
                                We could probably tell if Thom had shaved that morning.
                                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X