Precious Metal Flight Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal Flight Testing

Thom has been up for one test hop this morning and plans a second later in the day. Some tuft testing first then on to race speed testing in the weeks to come. So far all is good with only a few minor squawks.

Re: Precious Metal Flight Testing

thats awesome, cant wait to pics of the improved pm
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Define "minor squawks"...is the racing scoop doing ok?
      "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
      -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Only glass cockpit tweaking of settings. Otherwise happy. Aileron trim is better with the new rigging and Wingtips. No other issues. But we haven't gone really fast yet...

The weather has not been cooperating either. Too many thunderstorms right now... My work schedule is getting in the way right now as well. Too much flying... I know, not something to complain about.

I'm guessing we'll get most of it done this weekend. We're not in a hurry anymore, as the deadline was extended and our new engine isn't ready yet.

So far so good!

Comment

Thank you for the updates!

Comment

Thom and Bill,

Thanks for keeping us informed, its great to see this type of interaction. Feels like we are part of the team.

Go Precious go

Comment

Thom and Michael, you guys (and the rest of the team) are great! Really appreciate the openness with all the mods, testing and winning attitude. I wish the other teams were more open like you guys but, I understand that they have to keep all their stuff a big secret so the other teams don't steal their ideas.

Keep up the good fight and fly well! See you in September!
              Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                Thom and Michael, you guys (and the rest of the team) are great! Really appreciate the openness with all the mods, testing and winning attitude. I wish the other teams were more open like you guys but, I understand that they have to keep all their stuff a big secret so the other teams don't steal their ideas.

Keep up the good fight and fly well! See you in September!
                No secrets to keep really. We bought most of our mods from retired racers. Except for the wing tips which after this year can be bought from the MFG. The first tips to be design specific for this course. Other mods that are being done won't apply because nobody else runs a Griffon.

On top of that Thom has to sell a lot of T shirts to pay for it all. You need fans for that!

Town

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                  No secrets to keep really. We bought most of our mods from retired racers. Except for the wing tips which after this year can be bought from the MFG. The first tips to be design specific for this course. Other mods that are being done won't apply because nobody else runs a Griffon.

On top of that Thom has to sell a lot of T shirts to pay for it all. You need fans for that!

Town
                  Already know I'm buying a couple shirts and hats as well. Any ideas on their design yet?
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Town
                    Yea, I know. It's the "excuse" that gets tossed out whenever someone asks why the other teams rarely share or comment on what's going on. It would be nice to hear directly from within the other teams. I know they're not obligated to communicate with the fans, it would just be nice. After all, without the ticket buyers, there wouldn't be a playground...
                    Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                      Yea, I know. It's the "excuse" that gets tossed out whenever someone asks why the other teams rarely share or comment on what's going on. It would be nice to hear directly from within the other teams. I know they're not obligated to communicate with the fans, it would just be nice. After all, without the ticket buyers, there wouldn't be a playground...
                      It's a small enough community that there really are no 'secrets'. But based on my 25 years in the racing business when we have a closed-shop and are under orders not to talk about things it is never about the fans and depriving them...it's that there's no need for my competition to know what I'm doing. And if I broadcast "Hey, I just installed an argon-cooled flux capacitor" to my fans, how long before my competition is going "Wow...that's not a bad idea....we still have enough time to install that before Reno".

Comment

Town
                        We bought some last year, my favorite was the blue one. Remember lots of blue in XL :-)

Maybe some skimmy designs for the female gender. Wouldn't hurt to see hotties walking around advertising PM :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          It's a small enough community that there really are no 'secrets'. But based on my 25 years in the racing business when we have a closed-shop and are under orders not to talk about things it is never about the fans and depriving them...it's that there's no need for my competition to know what I'm doing. And if I broadcast "Hey, I just installed an argon-cooled flux capacitor" to my fans, how long before my competition is going "Wow...that's not a bad idea....we still have enough time to install that before Reno".
                          It's that Big and the desire not to wear too much egg on one's face if much hoopla is made about something that, in the end, does not work out as "advertised".... Least that's what I was told about the MAII "Sex Change" no-scoop cooling "inlet"...

Plus, there's a certain amount of "Show Business" involved with "leaking" information...Stir the juices, make folks think about getting their butts into seats..

When Rogers Stolzer had Furias and did the repaint, there was much desire (successfull) by the team to have *everyone* see it first AT Reno.. AAFO got lucky and had Griffon Girl in the back seat of the airplane that flew down with Furias that year.. Everyone knew she was going to look different, there was much anticipation as to how she'd look.. a few had seen her but there were no published photos... show business!

I'd wager that Thom and Wild Bill are not telling us *everything*... Doin' a damn good job of getting the interest stirred though!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            I'd wager that Thom and Wild Bill are not telling us *everything*... Doin' a damn good job of getting the interest stirred though!
                            Heck ya, and rightfully so, never show your full hand. Incorrect info can also mess with the minds of your opponent.

At least the PM team keeps it interesting for us.

Sure would be nice to hear something from the Bear camp???

I'm hoping team Strega and Voodoo follow team PM's example.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                              That may hold true in racing environments where the competitors are essentially using the same or very similar equipment. The Gold level Unlimiteds are so dissimilar that there is little to be kept secret. And, no one is asking for top-secret info. How about a "we've resolved the cooling issue on RB, see you in September"? I don't think there's a big problem with all the other Bearcats, Yaks and Sea Furys copying each other. The two closest aircraft at that level are Strega and Voodoo and they don't appear to be copying each others stuff each year. I would image that this would be a much larger issue in the other classes where the aircraft are much more similar.

Sorry for pulling this thread off topic... Now, back to you're regularly scheduled program.
                              Sky Critter

Comment

Working...
                              X