Strega and Voodoo??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega and Voodoo??

I can still remember the Color Tile TV commercial with Stilleto!!

Thank you Matt for providing such great insight! You've always been a friend of the fan!!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Rampman View Post
      The history lesson was great. Maybe my all time favorite racer - especially in bare aluminum. Sinister, fast looking machine.

What strikes me though is that it was conceived and built in 5 1/2 months? And I thought I heard the fuselage was largely built from scratch? Maybe I'm wrong about that but still unbelievable to achieve that level of fabrication in that short time frame. Those were some seriously talented people.
      We actually began on the plane in Mid February 1984.The money didn't arrive until then. The fuselage was built on two new longerons by Bob Carr and Bud Shoenfelder. One wing was built by Phil Greenberg and the other Art an Dave Teeters in Salinas. It had an aluminum fire wall with large holes drilled in it and covered with a very thin stainless. Every major component was lightened by drilling or machining any extra material from the item. The plane was the lightest of any of the racers of its time. We flew the plane the week before the wed deadline to appear at Reno. We won every heat race and won the final race on Sunday out of the box. The next year had a great deal of refinement with the cooling system, but the gear failed to retract on the start of Sundays race.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
        We actually began on the plane in Mid February 1984.The money didn't arrive until then. The fuselage was built on two new longerons by Bob Carr and Bud Shoenfelder. One wing was built by Phil Greenberg and the other Art an Dave Teeters in Salinas. It had an aluminum fire wall with large holes drilled in it and covered with a very thin stainless. Every major component was lightened by drilling or machining any extra material from the item. The plane was the lightest of any of the racers of its time. We flew the plane the week before the wed deadline to appear at Reno. We won every heat race and won the final race on Sunday out of the box. The next year had a great deal of refinement with the cooling system, but the gear failed to retract on the start of Sundays race.

MJ
        Matt,

Was there a bet that Skip offered to Rick about who would win if the race were less than eight laps?

Steve

Comment

FYI anyone who's interested~A few assorted Stiletto pics & info tidbits can be found on this site archive thread:

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...-T-O-gt-gt-gt-!!!

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
            Matt,

Was there a bet that Skip offered to Rick about who would win if the race were less than eight laps?

Steve
            Nevermind.
            Last edited by Big_Jim; 07-08-2013, 10:18 PM. Reason: Wouldn't want to step on anybody's delicate sensibilities

Comment

Thank you "Big Jim" for speaking for Matt Jackson.
              Last edited by Reever; 07-08-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                FYI anyone who's interested~A few assorted Stiletto pics & info tidbits can be found on this site archive thread:

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...-T-O-gt-gt-gt-!!!

DBD
                Great memories, with the hardest working guys I have ever known. We worked 18 hour days and slept on bottom shelves in the engine shop at night, with our guns next to us. That neighborhood was the OK corral after Midnight!!! Great times, and to be young again!!!

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                  Matt,

Steve
                  I am not sure about Skips bet. I had a bet with Rick that Skip would smash his Qualification record of 450 something and ended up paying for the gold necklace he bought his wife the day after qualifying. Skip came down on the course and tore a spade gear door off trying to better Dreadnoughts time. Skip had no problems leading Dreadnought until he broke a rocker arm and had to pull out. Even then Skip stayed in the lead until the very last moment. The plane really moved!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X