Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Championship Air Races Unlimited Air Racing a GO for 50th Anniversary Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: National Championship Air Races Unlimited Air Racing a GO for 50th Anniversary Ev

I know a couple of 25's (Bill Arnot and Carl Scholl) tried to qualify in the early 80's, 85 if I remember right (at least Scholls).
    Quite a noise...
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Re: National Championship Air Races Unlimited Air Racing a GO for 50th Anniversary Ev

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      I know a couple of 25's (Bill Arnot and Carl Scholl) tried to qualify in the early 80's, 85 if I remember right (at least Scholls).
      Quite a noise...
      That would have been quite a sight and sound. Just out of curiosity, how far off were they from qualifying? I really do like the sound of a pair of R2600s. They have a very distinct sound.

Can we get a twin engine class going? Mosquitos, Tigercats, P38s, B25s, A/B26s, heck, why not a hot P2V Neptune?

Will
      Last edited by RAD2LTR; 06-26-2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I really don't remember their speeds, someone else here might. They covered the course about as fast as a T-28 might...
        In 85 Scholls was there along with the B-26 Puss n Boots, which DID qualify. Raced in the Bronze and ended up ahead of Blue Max in one race, beating the corsair with his bomb bay doors opening and closing!
        A couple years earlier B-26 "Cotton Jenny" was there but I don't remember it actually racing.
        It's a bitch getting older and I have no idea where all those notes I took in the 80's have hidden themselves.
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          I really don't remember their speeds, someone else here might. They covered the course about as fast as a T-28 might...
          In 85 Scholls was there along with the B-26 Puss n Boots, which DID qualify. Raced in the Bronze and ended up ahead of Blue Max in one race, beating the corsair with his bomb bay doors opening and closing!
          A couple years earlier B-26 "Cotton Jenny" was there but I don't remember it actually racing.
          It's a bitch getting older and I have no idea where all those notes I took in the 80's have hidden themselves.
          There have been three B-25's attempt to qualify at a sanctioned race--all at Reno. Wiley Sanders in 1984, Bill Arnot's Silver Girl in '85/'86, and the Ritzman/Scholl Pacific Princess in '86 and '88 if I remember correctly. None of them qualified.

A-26's have been a bit more successful. John Lear at Reno '68, Wally McDonnel at Mojave '70, Lloyd Hamilton at Mojave '71, Dwight Reimer in Cotton Jenny at Mojave '78 and '79, and Reno '80. Wally McDonnell in Mojave Kid at Mojave '79. And Puss'n Boots with Mike Wright at Reno '85. All of them qualified and raced.

I know that Neil Nurmi and Charlene Aro both have photos of one of the Drag Races at Mojave '79 of Cotton Jenny and Mojave Kid running against each other.

Comment

Thanks Big Jim! The pages of your mental encyclopedia turn faster than mine.
            Pacific Princess was there in 85 but may not have tried to qualify. I know I have video of it starting, taxiing and taking off from that year. Arnots definitely took the course.
            Also Cotton Jenny was there at some point 83-84(?) but I could not tell you if it tried to qualify. I just remember how shiny it was!
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I would like to see a Mitsubishi Ki-83 racing against a Tigercat, unfortunately I know of only one existing Ki-83 airframe remaining in existance.

A Ki-83 fitted with R-2800 engines should be competitive for the Silver race.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X