• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWS RELEASE FROM RARA

For Immediate Release
    Saturday, June 15, 2013

National Championship Air Races to debut historic,
    new racing class for 50th anniversary

Reno, Nev. — The Reno Air Racing Association (RARA) reached an agreement to unveil a new, high-profile racing class organization at the 50th annual National Championship Air Races this September. Headquartered in northern Nevada, the Unlimited Warbird Racing Class (UWRC) has been formed to take the place of the previous Unlimited Racing Division of the National Air Racing Group. In just under twelve hours since the announcement of this new class, the UWRC has secured many of the same pilots who usually compete in the races as part of unlimited racing, including crowd favorites and former champions such as Curt Brown flying “Sawbones”, Tom Richard flying “Precious Metal”, Sherman Smoot flying “Czech Mate”, fan favorite “Voodoo” and John Bagley flying Bob Hoover’s legendary aircraft “Ole Yeller.” Additionally, RARA announced that Air Race legend and seven-time Unlimited champion, Bill “Tiger” Destefani will serve as the president of the new race class. Any pilot who is currently qualified to race in Unlimited racing will be welcome to participate in the UWRC.

“We think the formation of this new racing class is a positive step toward preserving air racing in Reno for the next 50 years,” said Destefani. “This class will feature former air race champions, aviation legends, space shuttle astronauts and some of the most famous aircraft in the world and will ensure our fans continue to see many of their favorite pilots and planes.”

RARA has held several very positive discussions with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regarding the formation of the UWRC and is currently working to become accredited through the FAA’s formal accreditation process. The establishment of this new racing class is a result of the current Unlimited Racing Division’s inability to reach an agreement with the FAA and RARA on a few very complex issues.

“The safety of our pilots and spectators is the absolute priority for the National Championship Air Races and, while we don’t anticipate that any rules will be substantially altered from last year’s very successful event, we continue to work with the FAA to more clearly define certain requirements on the race course and are coordinating efforts to finalize the rules of racing for this year’s event,” said Mike Houghton, president and CEO of RARA. “We understand and support the FAA’s effort to create a more defined set of rules for this historic event and the RARA contest committee, which is an autonomous organization chaired by General (retired) Ron Fogleman, former Chief of Staff for the United States Air Force, welcomes individual class participation in the application of the rules as defined for racing in Reno. We are looking forward to releasing a full list of pilots that will be participating in the Unlimited War Bird Racing Class in the very near future.”

In addition to six classes of some of the most experienced and talented racers flying in the “World’s Fastest Motorsport,” this year, attendees can expect thrilling entertainment including the L-39 Patriots Jet Team, the Breitling Jet Team “Jetman,” and a bevy of individual air performances from some of today’s most talented aerial stunt pilots. Entertainment will take place on land as well, with high-speed performances from the Bentley Speed 3 car and the Smoke N’ Thunder Jet Car.

The 50th annual National Championship Air Races are the world’s premier air racing event. The races take place this year from Sept. 11 through Sept. 15. Tickets are on sale now by phone at (775) 972-6663 or online at www.airrace.org.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: NEWS RELEASE FROM RARA

So is this essentially a list of people who are comfortable with the limits that are currently approved by the FAA?

I hope this works, but I'll be disappointed if this causes us to lose a bunch of participants. They need to put together an impressive list of participants and get it out quickly or I believe their attendance will see a hit.

Good luck RARA! I truly hope you succeed. I'm betting all three of my boxes on it!!!!
    Last edited by PowerByPackard; 06-15-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Remember, my friends, that this entire event is regulated by and overseen by the FAA. It's not the pilots that determine what we are going to be allowed to see. Granted I would like to see what we've seen in the past, but at this point in our country's life we can only see what our government allows us to. Now I don't want any of this, but I, as many of you would like to see our country return to what it once was - what our warbirds bring back to us when we see them fly.
      This is not a political post, just a statement from one that loves air racing. It is just the fact that our sport is under the eternal scrutiny of our government - just a fact of life for now. I've been in aviation as a mechanic for many, many years and I don't like where we have progressed.
      Political correctness has turned us into a country that defies the opportunity of natural selection.

That being said, may the Reno Air Races continue for the next 50 plus years! I would like to take my daughter here to see what my Dad fought for 68 years ago.

God Bless you all.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
        So is this essentially a list of people who are comfortable with the limits that are currently approved by the FAA?

I hope this works, but I'll be disappointed if this causes us to lose a bunch of participants. They need to put together an impressive list of participants and get it out quickly or I believe their attendance will see a hit.

Good luck RARA! I truly hope you succeed. I'm betting all three of my boxes on it!!!!
        I get what RARA is trying to do, but what's with the "historic new racing class" verbiage? That just sounds silly!

Comment

Originally posted by bulldawg66 View Post
          Remember, my friends, that this entire event is regulated by and overseen by the FAA. It's not the pilots that determine what we are going to be allowed to see. Granted I would like to see what we've seen in the past, but at this point in our country's life we can only see what our government allows us to. Now I don't want any of this, but I, as many of you would like to see our country return to what it once was - what our warbirds bring back to us when we see them fly.
          This is not a political post, just a statement from one that loves air racing. It is just the fact that our sport is under the eternal scrutiny of our government - just a fact of life for now. I've been in aviation as a mechanic for many, many years and I don't like where we have progressed.
          Political correctness has turned us into a country that defies the opportunity of natural selection.

That being said, may the Reno Air Races continue for the next 50 plus years! I would like to take my daughter here to see what my Dad fought for 68 years ago.

God Bless you all.

Tom
          That Darn FAA again , I remember when a certain Pilot was NOT allowed to fly because the FAA deemed him unfit to fly . Remember Ole Yeller , Saberliner , F-86,oh and the Aerocommander !

Comment

What am I missing here? Is this in addition to Gold Unlimited, or did they just gut the races? I'm going this year regardless, but if the future does not include the likes of Rare Bear, Strega, 232, Dreadnought, etc., then it really is over.

UPDATE: Sorry reading backwards. Hadn't seen Matt Jackson's post yet.
            Last edited by ignomini; 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

What you never want to hear "HI we're from the government and we're here to help" -----A$$holes!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X