Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

So in essence, you have just confirmed that Big Jim is full of the same stuff as the what's in the bucket and the real fountain of all things Air Racing is John Slack????

Comment

Originally posted by al baby View Post
      So in essence, you have just confirmed that Big Jim is full of the same stuff as the what's in the bucket and the real fountain of all things Air Racing is John Slack????
      Little brothers....they tend to do that from time to time.

No, I think he was just reinforcing what I said with what BCIV said.

Comment

Originally posted by al baby View Post
        Weeeeeeellllllllllllllllll, that's one way to interpret it. Possibly quite true, depending on who ya ask, heh heh.

But, I was really just posting Slack's version since it reinforced Brad's post by going into more detail than what Brad wrote, and mostly I thought it was a funny (and sad) story. The rest of what Slack posted which I did not copy was also pretty sad.

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
          Why did Willey Sanders quit racing?

Jarrod
          It was also because his wife was not allowed entry thru the pit gate.

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
            What Would Lyle Shelton Do?
            Well, It was my thought to read this and that was all, however after all the years of listening to Lyle regarding the issues between RARA and PRPA/NAG I can tell you that Lyle would stick with the NAG group observing their safety stand down. Lyle never would have supported any option that would make RARA both the promoter and the holder of the leash of the sanctioning body.
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              Because of the Reno Police Department hassling John Putman at Reno '89 over being allowed out on the ramp even though he had a wristband and the proper credentials.
              Sorry for the diversion, I had thought that Jerry Duty was responsible.

Jarrod

Comment

Well I think its time to get the Sani-Huts out. Pilots safety first.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Safety is number 1, but what I don't understand is evidently there's several, if not most of the unlimited guys joining the new organization so they can race in Sept. If it was such a safety issue, I would think no one would want to race....I'm sure there's happenings behind the scenes we don't know. All I know, is I hope everyone gets to race, and it's the safest races yet.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    He and Bob Love would sit in a meeting with Jerry Duty....who would tell them "I could buy a metal bucket, fill it with dog sh*t, and call it the first place trophy...and you guys would still race for it."

Oh, wait a minute....that happened already. Nevermind.
                    OK I truly don't mean to single out anyone, you Big_Jim or anyone else.. I just grabbed th post to find a place to start.....

I really need you guys to take this back on topic, please, start your back and forth quips in another thread... This one was started by one of the main players in this story and funny little side posts just don't seem to fit

Thanks in advance.....
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

[QUOTE=supercub;111423]Safety is number 1, but what I don't understand is evidently there's several, if not most of the unlimited guys joining the new organization so they can race in Sept. If it was such a safety issue, I would think no one would want to race....I'm sure there's happenings behind the scenes we don't know. All I know, is I hope everyone gets to race, and it's the safest races yet.
                      Brian[/QUOTE

Please define most! I think you are misinformed on the actual numbers of people that have signed up. I think it is still the policy of this organization to represent the majorty concensus and that consensus says to stand down in the interest of safety. I can't be more plain then that. With all the false information going around time will certainly tell if we resolve the issues at hand. We have two months and a few days to remedy what we all agree is a serious concern.

Matt J

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                        Safety is number 1, but what I don't understand is evidently there's several, if not most of the unlimited guys joining the new organization so they can race in Sept. If it was such a safety issue, I would think no one would want to race....I'm sure there's happenings behind the scenes we don't know. All I know, is I hope everyone gets to race, and it's the safest races yet.
                        Brian

This is my take. The issue that Matt Jackson is upset about comes into play when you break the 425mph (ish) mark. The performance gap between the top 5 (ish) and the rest of the field is becoming so dramatic that clearing lap traffic and overtaking cannot be done in a manner that allows competitive and safe racing. Outside of the gold race you have what essentially become parade lap exhibition racing. (this is a generalization I know, there is some great racing that happens in silver and bronze, but it's not the same as Sunday gold)

So you have 5-7 guys who are out there going as fast as they can with a win or go home attitude, and the rest of the field who are out there to have fun, show off their airplanes and fly low.

I am willing to bet that when the list of entrants into the new class is published you will find that the majority of them are those planes in the second group. If in fact Voodoo is in that group I suspect its because Button would love a win and Stevo said he is fine with the current rules, which makes sense coming from someone who has only really ever led a Sunday gold race, and never really had to come from 3rd or 4th place to win.

RARA wants bodies in the stands and doesn't care how it gets them, and unfortunately there are some pilots who just want to fly and dont care what they have to do or who they have to ignore (Jackson) to get there.

At one point in history the NCAR was about the fastest airplanes in the world going at it. Now it's about selling hot dogs and Tee-shirts.

My two cents.

Comment

I have had 24 hours to digest this issue.
                          From every angle I hold it, I see the events of the last week would appear to diminish the unlimited group.

Lyle never would have supported any option that would make RARA both the promoter and the holder of the leash of the sanctioning body.
                          John's observation is a huge factor right there....just think of the ramifications of the promoter having say to "go, or no-go" under wind conditions like we had Sunday in 2010. I find that a bit scary. This is said not to disrespect RARA, because I admire RARA's effort to promote air racing, but the conflict-of-interest factor makes for a crooked path to follow.

There will be a high price to pay for this fracture. Whether the true reasons are political, or safety, or a combination of both.

So, lets pay respects to the 5 other classes of aircraft that race. Let’s not forget these competitors and my hope is they all see more fan support from broader segment of race fans. No matter if the unlimiteds fly in a parade, or not.

Planecrazy2 lifts a cold one to the heavens and sheds a tear for Unlimited race of the century in 2013, that might have been…..cheers.
                          '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                            I have had 24 hours to digest this issue.
                            From every angle I hold it, I see the events of the last week would appear to diminish the unlimited group.

John's observation is a huge factor right there....just think of the ramifications of the promoter having say to "go, or no-go" under wind conditions like we had Sunday in 2010. I find that a bit scary. This is said not to disrespect RARA, because I admire RARA's effort to promote air racing, but the conflict-of-interest factor makes for a crooked path to follow.

There will be a high price to pay for this fracture. Whether the true reasons are political, or safety, or a combination of both.

So, lets pay respects to the 5 other classes of aircraft that race. Let’s not forget these competitors and my hope is they all see more fan support from broader segment of race fans. No matter if the unlimiteds fly in a parade, or not.

Planecrazy2 lifts a cold one to the heavens and sheds a tear for Unlimited race of the century in 2013, that might have been…..cheers.

Had they simply just raced the other classes and let the unlimited class "stand down" I would gladly have attended. I very much enjoy the other classes. But this end run to get around the decision the class made rather than attempt to work the issues out has me sick to my stomach.

I realize that there is probably a lot of stuff going on that I have no idea about, but this is what it looks like from the outside.

I still have hope that it will be worked out, but as it stands right now I will not be making the trip down there for the first time in 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                              This is my take. The issue that Matt Jackson is upset about comes into play when you break the 425mph (ish) mark. The performance gap between the top 5 (ish) and the rest of the field is becoming so dramatic that clearing lap traffic and overtaking cannot be done in a manner that allows competitive and safe racing. Outside of the gold race you have what essentially become parade lap exhibition racing. (this is a generalization I know, there is some great racing that happens in silver and bronze, but it's not the same as Sunday gold)

So you have 5-7 guys who are out there going as fast as they can with a win or go home attitude, and the rest of the field who are out there to have fun, show off their airplanes and fly low.

I am willing to bet that when the list of entrants into the new class is published you will find that the majority of them are those planes in the second group. If in fact Voodoo is in that group I suspect its because Button would love a win and Stevo said he is fine with the current rules, which makes sense coming from someone who has only really ever led a Sunday gold race, and never really had to come from 3rd or 4th place to win.

RARA wants bodies in the stands and doesn't care how it gets them, and unfortunately there are some pilots who just want to fly and dont care what they have to do or who they have to ignore (Jackson) to get there.

At one point in history the NCAR was about the fastest airplanes in the world going at it. Now it's about selling hot dogs and Tee-shirts.

My two cents.
                              This is my suspicion as well, very well put.

Between the stand-down of the Blues and T-Birds due to the manufactured faux crisis called sequestration, the resultant continued cancellation of airshows, threats to close down hundreds of towers, constant political attacks on business and commercial aviation, extortion of de-facto user fee's from Oshkosh and other events, and now this, I am simply unable to effectively communicate the sadness and sense of loss that I feel - there just aren't the right words and it seems to be accelerating with no sense it will slow down.

At some point, we each, as pilots or spectators, have to decide where the line is for us, and whether or not we are going to cross it. Well for me the line is here - if the Unlimiteds are calling foul, and the response is to formulate Unlimited-Lite rather than address the concerns of those most in the know and at most risk, then my time and my dollars can be better invested to fund my own aviation addiction.

RARA doesn't know me from Adam, and probably won't miss the money that would have been spent on my tickets, but I am no longer willing to just accept these slips towards mediocrity and lessening of safety. I see this too in my professional life as a Reliability, Maintainability and Safety Engineer - and I have had enough.

It may be a tiny little stand, but it is mine.

'Gimp
                              sigpic
                              1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                              Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post

Please define most! I think you are misinformed on the actual numbers of people that have signed up. I think it is still the policy of this organization to represent the majorty concensus and that consensus says to stand down in the interest of safety. I can't be more plain then that. With all the false information going around time will certainly tell if we resolve the issues at hand. We have two months and a few days to remedy what we all agree is a serious concern.

Matt J
                                Matt,

First I would like to say thank you for taking the time to come on this board and provide us with some much appreciated information. I am still hopeful (perhaps a fools hope, but hope nonetheless) that you will get that chance at a championship flying Strega.

There is a lot of misinformation out there right now, and I'm sure I don't know about most of it. After contacting RARA yesterday just to hear what they had to say, it sure seems like they are scrambling over there to put something together. But at some point the group of pilots that are willing to fly in spite of the "stand down" is going to dry up, if it hasn't already. I hope that reason will prevail in this case and all of this will become irrelevant in the very near future.

With that in mind, I had a couple of questions I was hoping Matt or anyone else for that matter might be able to shed some light on.

We haven't heard anything out of the Rod Lewis camp since all of this boiled over. I remember Hoot being one of those pilots that was critical of deadlines so I was wondering what their status is if we know.

I'm also a little confused about the status of Precious Metal. RARA lists them as a participant in the new class but on the PM Facebook page it says that they are in support of the stand down.

Last, is anyone else surprised that Tiger agreed to participate as the new class president? I know that I am very likely forming an opinion about that with less than 5% of the information, but it just seemed like a strange fit.

As an eternal optimist when it comes to air racing, I will continue to look forward with a huge amount of excitement. I can't wait to get there and enjoy SIX classes of air racing. I hope some of the unlimited owners are optimists as well and will continue to prep their planes for September even though we have hit a bump in the road.

Cheers to all and see you in September!

Tyler

Comment

Working...
                                X