Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Originally posted by lowpasskid View Post
    forgive me for being stupid, but how does the new class change things?
    I'm wondering the same thing?...
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by lowpasskid View Post
      forgive me for being stupid, but how does the new class change things?

I may or may not be addressing your question.....If I am understanding this correctly...which I likely may not be, so forgive me in advance for my guess/answer...The short confusing answer is nothing/yet everything...Many of the unlimited pilots do not want to race under the current rules which I believe are the same rules they raced under in 2012 (though I know for a fact many did not want to)...The course change and rules implemented after the GG accident have made it less safe for race pilots and they want some changes that the FAA and to some extent RARA are holding firm on...SOOooo it sounds like the new "UWRC" was formed and comprised of pilots and planes that are willing to race under the rules as is... So essentially the "new class change" does nothing to change the racing from what it was in 2012 aside from possibly eliminating pilots (and so also aircraft) that are unwilling to participate with the rules as they currently stand...I definitely understand the reasons many pilots give as to why they do not want to participate with the rules as they are...I guess what the formation of the new class does is give pilots the choice to hold firm with Matt and the Unlimited Division Board or to break away and race with the new UWRC...It's a bit like when CART and the IRL had their split, but this is much more about the safety of the pilots, than the direction of where the sport should go....I THINK?!?!?

Comment

I would think that the pilots would be all right with the 250' AGL rule if there could be a rules committee formed that could review the 250' AGL infraction. The committee would be composed of a FAA member, a Unlimited Pilots group member and a RARA member. If a pilot broke the 250' AGL rule then the committee would decide his or her fate.

Comment

I could be completely wrong here, but the way I am interpreting things by what I have read on the various sites and having talked to a few of the parties involved, this is more of a 'cooperation' issue. It is a matter of safety, yes....but it is a matter of one side digging their heels in and saying 'absolutely not' versus someone coming to the table not happy with the situation, but willing to work at it with all parties.

Both sides have their merits and truths. As a pilot, I am the bottom line responsibility for my plane's and my own safety...and if I'm not comfortable going somewhere doing something, I won't. I can understand the FAA's and RARA's side. The accident in 2011 changed the game, whether we like it or not. Changes had to be made. Were the changes overkill? I can't say.

As a fan, there has to be a common-sense compromise in the middle somewhere.

Comment

It seems to me that a pilot pushing the limits should be flying the plane & not having to worry whether he broke the rules or not under an adverse condition. After the race does he need a lawyer to represent him. It is getting out of hand. I need a cold one.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              It is getting out of hand. I need a cold one.
              HERE-HERE; I'm buyin'. It IS getting out of hand. I've attended for 40+ years and it was always with the knowledge that stuff happens and it's on me if something happens to me. Who knows better than the pilots what's safe? Support their wishes.

Comment

I'm curious if the last change to the dead line on east side of the course is a concern with some pilots. In some videos, from 2011 and 2012, I have noticed that after hitting turbulence going around pylons two and three the pilots have had to really pull hard to keep from violating the east dead line. I've also seen that happen when there three or more aircraft in that area with passing taking place (by a much faster plane).

Kevin

Comment

There should be 100% support for the Unlimited class decision to stand down. There is no way I and my family will attend if the FAA assholes don't back down on their foolish demands for the 250ft. hight limit.

RARA should be ashamed of their effort to work around this mess with a scab class.

Sincerely pissed at the FAA.

R.I.P. NCAR. You are dead. The FAA killed you.
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                    There should be 100% support for the Unlimited class decision to stand down. There is no way I and my family will attend if the FAA assholes don't back down on their foolish demands for the 250ft. hight limit.

RARA should be ashamed of their effort to work around this mess with a scab class.

Sincerely pissed at the FAA.

R.I.P. NCAR. You are dead. The FAA killed you.

I agree completely with one exception, the FAA was just responding (correctly or not) to what was a random trajectory by 177. That is what killed NCAR.

Comment

What Would Lyle Shelton Do?

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                        What Would Lyle Shelton Do?
                        He and Bob Love would sit in a meeting with Jerry Duty....who would tell them "I could buy a metal bucket, fill it with dog sh*t, and call it the first place trophy...and you guys would still race for it."

Oh, wait a minute....that happened already. Nevermind.

Comment

Cannot believe this is happening. I was just starting to plan to take the RV to the 50th and now this.

Guess I can take what I would have spent there and put it towards my own flying.

Disappointed beyond belief.

'Gimp
                          sigpic
                          1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                          Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                            He and Bob Love would sit in a meeting with Jerry Duty....who would tell them "I could buy a metal bucket, fill it with dog sh*t, and call it the first place trophy...and you guys would still race for it."

Oh, wait a minute....that happened already. Nevermind.
                            All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                            When Lyle and Bob Love as the Unlimited representatives of the PRPA went to Reno and met with Jerry in 1973 and early 1974 regarding prize money and other safety issue the meeting started going nowhere. Lyle and Bob told Jerry that the unlimiteds were going to stand down for Reno 1974 and not show. Jerry told Lyle and Bob that "Reno would find lots of guys with stock unlimiteds that would pay 600 dollars each to race for a bucket full of Sh*t, If the reno races just put the words winner on it."

Comment

Why did Willey Sanders quit racing?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                                Why did Willey Sanders quit racing?

Jarrod
                                Because of the Reno Police Department hassling John Putman at Reno '89 over being allowed out on the ramp even though he had a wristband and the proper credentials.

Comment

Working...
                                X