Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
    Didn't they race with these same rules in 2012? What's changed since last year?
    There was a lot going on behind the scenes last year with the Unlimteds and the FAA, race went on, but people were obviously not happy.

Comment

The unlimiteds will race. Everybody calm down.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
        On the edge of my seat here...

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
          Yup it will happen
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.............

Comment

So, a bit confused here....is the VP of Unlimited Class lying when he says there will be no unlimiteds this year? Not really a gray area here. Matt Jackson saying no unlimiteds and Wild Bill Kelso saying there will be unlimiteds. Who do we believe? And please don't give the answer we will see when the races get nearer. Some of us need to make plans far in advance to be able to go. I only go because of the unlimited class.

Comment

Our clue was "Jet Man", I remember how well "Fly Man" was received by the race fans. I am done if the Unlimiteds are done and will surely cancel my plans plus $700 in race tickets. Thanks for the post, KC

Comment

Is the RENO RACE site down or is it just me? thanks, KC

Comment

Originally posted by KAHNZILLA View Post
                    Is the RENO RACE site down or is it just me? thanks, KC
                    Looks like just you
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Another thought...if no unlimiteds then can the Reno Air Races still be claiming the fastest motor sport? Some of the top fuel dragsters are over the 300mph mark now......

Comment

It's not that complicated.

Matt Jackson and the Unlimited Division of NAG have decided that racing with the 250' ceiling and the new course changes make it too dangerous and they have decided to stand down if the ceiling issue is not changed.

RARA said, fine - we'll go around you and start our own club and they will play by our rules.

Now, we wait and see who decides to break from the safe group and become "SCAB race pilots".

It's a sad day for air racing when pilots are ignored when they talk about their own safety.

Comment

Unless I missed it somewhere, here's the link to LiveAirShowTV and the interview with Houghton:
                          At the 2013 Volunteer dinner during PRS, Reno Air Racing Assoc. president Mike Houghton announced the formation of a NEW Unlimited Class for 2013. Mark Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
                            So, a bit confused here....is the VP of Unlimited Class lying when he says there will be no unlimiteds this year? Not really a gray area here. Matt Jackson saying no unlimiteds and Wild Bill Kelso saying there will be unlimiteds. Who do we believe? And please don't give the answer we will see when the races get nearer. Some of us need to make plans far in advance to be able to go. I only go because of the unlimited class.
                            Just curious...who is the President of the unlimited class?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
                              Just curious...who is the President of the unlimited class?
                              Tom Camp

Comment

The problem is this: the scatter distance between the race course and the crowd line is calculated from the speed and altitude of the pieces in case of a structural failure. FAA requirements determine that distance and the stands cannot feasibly be moved. If you go over 250' the scatter distance increases and the race course is no longer FAA legal. What is more important - the safety of the crowd or the safety of the pilots? We all know how unpredictable an out of control aircraft is when it gains some altitude.

Comment

Working...
                                X