Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Default Re: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Quote Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
    I didn't realize you are an air race pilot. Big difference from 2D racing.
    Chris...
    Yeah I'm just some monkey that turns wrenches; what do I know? Radios work the same if it's 2D or 3D racing.

From who is the radio call coming from? Where is it safe to pull off of the course (because it's not going to be where the 250 foot ceiling is, right?), where is it that the safety of an airplane pulling off of an established line near other airplanes on an established overtake safer than continuing on the established paths when a radio call is made? An outside observer is making it safer to change everything in the projected path mix?
    This isn't Grand Prix, no rearviews, no deceleration to yellow flag speeds, no correlation to 2D motor racing in many, many aspects. No disrespect to you, snarky maybe, but no disrespect when pointing out the differences.

Chris...

Quote Originally Posted by o4asf260 View Post
    I feel better knowing that 177 would have been penalized for breaking the 250' rule BEFORE the tragic ACCIDENT occurred. Ugghhh.

Nice try, but how about just admitting that you can't make racing as safe as you wish you could.

I hope that this all comes from outside the air racing community as I sense the organizers have been highly motivated to safety over the years.

I'll sign a waiver and support the "go fast" folks in all classes and think the rules should be heavily influenced by their input.

Bob
    You "sign" a waiver every time you buy a ticket. Waiver's dont mean **** anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
    From who is the radio call coming from? Where is it safe to pull off of the course (because it's not going to be where the 250 foot ceiling is, right?), where is it that the safety of an airplane pulling off of an established line near other airplanes on an established overtake safer than continuing on the established paths when a radio call is made? An outside observer is making it safer to change everything in the projected path mix?
    This isn't Grand Prix, no rearviews, no deceleration to yellow flag speeds, no correlation to 2D motor racing in many, many aspects. No disrespect to you, snarky maybe, but no disrespect when pointing out the differences.

Chris...
    Ummmm race control and/or spotters! And it would be no different then calling a mayday. The pilots have sight of one another and talk on the radio quite often. How do you think we learned about the clam shell door?! So instead of belittling someone that has raced since they were 5 years old and pointing of the differences between the two you can simply give some thought before you bark out even a snarky answer.

The biggest impediment to air travel is ATC, and the FAA controls ATC. With closed towers, the General Aviation segment of little airplanes would flourish. No rules enforcers watching to hit the guy that crossed some multi-mile airspace line by a 100 feet, no one needing separation required for the observers (ATC) comfort when the people flying the airplanes are fine with much less. More operations, more efficiently, with no long sits on the ground waiting for ATC to make there minds up for the pilots that are actually flying the airplanes occurs with no control towers.
    And all of that is just keeping you and me from flying efficiently, effectively and frequently the family Cessna.

In the time constraints of Gold Unlimited operations, no radio calls in addition to what's been used in the past is necessary or necessarily safe.

The sad story is that someone allowed a team that shouldn't have been allowed, to race. A bad accident happened and now that Clarence is retired as the FAA guy we're in a new era of nanny state knows best.

Unlimited Warbird Racing Class is (will be, but I'm more certain it already is) the P-40 class in a few years. It was inevitable to have a slow down of the racers, with the same sound and size as the old racers, making the next period of air racing.

That's what has happened, we knew it would, so let's enjoy the air show and Warbird parade.

Chris...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Ummmm race control and/or spotters! And it would be no different then calling a mayday. The pilots have sight of one another and talk on the radio quite often. How do you think we learned about the clam shell door?! So instead of belittling someone that has raced since they were 5 years old and pointing of the differences between the two you can simply give some thought before you bark out even a snarky answer.
    Don't mean to be argumentative, just don't agree with you from the standpoint of a racing pilot rather than my sports car racing and karting experience.
    I have a tool box too, doesn't mean I know everything.

You have not understood my points or you would've addressed the details of the speed and energy involved. I don't often come and post here anymore because of the difference in trying to relate information here compared to the opinion arguments.
    It's OK, no one asked us what our opinions are up in the Ivory Tower and they'll do what they want anyway!
    Chris...
    Last edited by stuntflyr; 06-19-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Man people are so quick to grab a hammer and stick a nail in the Unlimited class/division. I think a ton of people are going to be surprised at the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Man people are so quick to grab a hammer and stick a nail in the Unlimited class/division. I think a ton of people are going to be surprised at the outcome.
    I think this is a case of people reacting to the information provided, and then running a bit with it. If you just look at what we've been told to date by Matt and RARA, it really isn't all that positive to anyone that is very familiar with the air races. I'm hoping that the fact that new information isn't coming out is because the powers that be figured out that they weren't going to come to any agreements through press releases and Major Announcements. All that did was generate a lot of confusion and fear about the future of our beloved races. With any luck, things are back behind closed doors where they belong. AND NO COMING OUT UNTIL YOU CAN GET ALONG! Hey, it works with my kids..................sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerByPackard View Post
    With any luck, things are back behind closed doors where they belong. AND NO COMING OUT UNTIL YOU CAN GET ALONG! Hey, it works with my kids..................sometimes!
    Yes, a time out sitting in the corner worked with my kids, but so did bribery with bubble gum.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerByPackard View Post
    I think this is a case of people reacting to the information provided, and then running a bit with it. If you just look at what we've been told to date by Matt and RARA, it really isn't all that positive to anyone that is very familiar with the air races.
    That is a very good point, those 2 statements alone may have a detrimental effect on the future of the air races if nothing informative gets released in the near term??

Again, just a long term fan's opinion on the outside looking in.