X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
    JC,

Wanna trade a P-40 for a race Mustang? It's really pretty...

TR
    Oh no you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
      What are the arguments against moving the spectators to the inside of the course?
      Aside from flying operations, there are three major problems doing that.

1. Crowd logistics; moving tens of thousands of people back and forth across the ramp. Think how long that would take. You would need to build a tunnel, or close down flight ops for extended periods during the day.

2. The sun will be shinning in the crowd's eyes all day every day. Folks will want to leave early or come in late because of it.

3. Have you ever watched a NASCAR race from inside the track? Folks will only get to see a small portion of the races, and snapping your head back and forth all day gets wearing.

4. And like the Spanish Inquisition on Python, the fourth of my three reasons is the location of the pits and vendors (see number one above).
      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by Magdrop View Post
        I would not attend the NHRA drag races if the Funny cars and Top fuel dragsters were eliminated by stupid regulations.
        I spend allot of $ to attend these races every year. If things don't change soon I'm out.
        No offense to the other classes but to be honest If drag racing didn't have nitro they would be done.
        Dam this pisses me off.............................
        Don't suppose you were one of the people who claimed you would boycott the races when they went to 1000ft were you? Regardless it's a bad analogy and here's why. Imagine if there weren't 1000's of drag strips across the nation (and the world in fact). Imagine if there was no NHRA, IHRA, FIM etc and there was only one drag racing event every year at Pomona and THAT WAS IT.

Are you telling me you wouldn't go to see the Pro Stocks, Super Mods, Top Alcohol Dragsters/FC's etc then? If so, more power to you.

Me, I'm a motorsports enthusiast through and through. I spend my vacations and free weekends and race tracks, be it F1, Touring Cars, WSBK, MotoGP, SX & MX, Vintage, Indycars, Grand-Am, etc. etc. I simply enjoy very much being at the races. It's my home away from home. Now I also very much enjoy flying & aviation so when you combine two of my very favorite things... it's pretty much the best thing ever!

Losing the Unlimited Class would suck for sure but IN NO WAY would it deter me from going to the only place in the world that people can still race airplanes head to head. This is a rare and precious thing that I really hope doesn't become extinct. Besides (and no offense to the Unlimited pilots here) the best racing is almost always in the slower classes... as it is with most other motorsports.

and to the fella that was thinking of going to CotA for F1. Went there for MotoGP this year. It's a great circuit but don't take an RV because their parking area for them is at the worst possible spot so you can't see squat if you want to hang out by the RV. Also not enough portopotties or water access. Then again it's still not truly finished so hopefully it will get better.

Comment

All I will say is this! There sure are a bunch of people prepping airplanes and spending money for something that isn't going to happen.

Comment

OK Race fans I am happy to announce that an agreement has been reached. Unlimited Air Racing will return to Reno for its 50th year. The agreement was reached where the Unlimited Division has agreed that all its racers will join the new RARA Division. The transition will be a smooth transition as RARA has worked hard to maintain the high standards required for our race class. All our racers are looking forward to a great race and hope that all the fans previously discouraged will reconsider their commitment by participating and help supporting the new race organization. The transition has not come to pass easily. Tense negotiation was involved, so no stone was left unturned in regards to safety. You all have heard rumors of the altitude safety rule. We are now confident that our racers will have the latitude necessary to conduct a high energy race that has come to be expected in the fastest motor sport on earth. Good going racers and congrats to RARA for continuing its commitment to maintain our historical event.

Matt Jackson
            VP Unlimited Division

Comment

Thank you Matt and all who worked hard to resolve this.

Lets put this behind us and move forward.

Come on September.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                OK Race fans I am happy to announce that an agreement has been reached. Unlimited Air Racing will return to Reno for its 50th year. The agreement was reached where the Unlimited Division has agreed that all its racers will join the new RARA Division. The transition will be a smooth transition as RARA has worked hard to maintain the high standards required for our race class. All our racers are looking forward to a great race and hope that all the fans previously discouraged will reconsider their commitment by participating and help supporting the new race organization. The transition has not come to pass easily. Tense negotiation was involved, so no stone was left unturned in regards to safety. You all have heard rumors of the altitude safety rule. We are now confident that our racers will have the latitude necessary to conduct a high energy race that has come to be expected in the fastest motor sport on earth. Good going racers and congrats to RARA for continuing its commitment to maintain our historical event.

Matt Jackson
                VP Unlimited Division
                Does that mean you are bringing Strega?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    ^^^^^
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Matt Jackson
                      VP Unlimited Division
                      $hit Matt... you don't know how happy this makes me! The only thing what would make me happier would be to hear that you and your sponsor were able to get your deal going again and you, as a racer got a shot at your dream, and your sponsor got their shot at doing what they dreamed about...

All good Matt!

Thanks for posting here!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Matt Jackson
                        VP Unlimited Division
                        Do you all here that sound? To the untrained ear it may sound like a collective sigh of relief........but really it's just me opening beer after beer after beer after beer.......................
                        Last edited by PowerByPackard; 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
                          Do you all here that sound? To the untrained ear it may sound like a collective sigh of relief........but really it's just me opening beer after beer after beer after beer.......................
                          Hey, from this point on, our collective race fan energy needs to be targeted at getting butts in seats, and if not there, on Jeff Lee's liveairshowtv.com livecast from RENO NCAR..

Phew... what an intense 7-10 days these last few were!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thank you Matt, RARA, and everyone else who negotiated, compromised, etc. to keep the dream alive. Time to make the reservations for September!

Comment

While I obviously don't know the particulars yet, so long as you say its all good, Matt, that's good enough for me. Thanks for all your work on this. I can't imagine the stress involved with being in your position. If I see you in the pits, I'd be honored to by you a cold one.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I wonder if this post set the speed record 0 to 26,000 in 7 days LOL

I flew up to Vancouver last weekend to spend Father's Day with pops, when I used my sisters laptop to check my favorite site I say this thread and quickly got bummed out. Sure glad we all got a happy ending

Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-21-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X