Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Reno race fans it is great sadness to make the following announcement. It has been the decision of the Unlimited Division Board of directors, representing the members of the Unlimited Division, to announce a safety stand down of the Unlimited Division from participation in the 2013 Reno National Championship Air Races.

The not so simple decision was made due to the inability of the Unlimited Class to reach a satisfactory resolution with the FAA and RARA to concerns regarding race course safety, specifically altitude restrictions. It has always been the opinion of the Unlimited Class that if you keep the pilots safe, the crowd will also be safe. In the last several years the Unlimited Class is of the opinion that Rara in conjunction with the FAA has made new altitude rules and race course changes that prohibit the pilots from having satisfactory safety clearance and G load margins. This stand down was the product of two organizations refusing to take the obvious qualified recommendations of the pilots flying on the course.

In response to RARA and FAA's refusal to remedy the issues at hand to the satisfaction of the Unlimited racers, it has left us no other option but to stand down in the interest of safety. It is the hopes of the Unlimited Division members that logic will prevail and the event we have come to know as the Fastest Motor Sport on earth will not disapear, but will continue for many years to come. In the mean time we have no other option , but to not participate in this years event.

Matt Jackson
    VP Unlimited Division

Re: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Thanks for the info, Matt. Looks like the Fed got what they wanted.
    Chris...

Comment

Well.....****
      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

My reserved seats will be empty if this is true. Everything about this is bad except the money I will save. Thanks FAA
        Brad
        Windy Hill GA83

Comment

Air Racing just Shot themselves in the foot!!!

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
          Reno race fans it is great sadness to make the following announcement. It has been the decision of the Unlimited Division Board of directors, representing the members of the Unlimited Division, to announce a safety stand down of the Unlimited Division from participation in the 2013 Reno National Championship Air Races.

The not so simple decision was made due to the inability of the Unlimited Class to reach a satisfactory resolution with the FAA and RARA to concerns regarding race course safety, specifically altitude restrictions. It has always been the opinion of the Unlimited Class that if you keep the pilots safe, the crowd will also be safe. In the last several years the Unlimited Class is of the opinion that Rara in conjunction with the FAA has made new altitude rules and race course changes that prohibit the pilots from having satisfactory safety clearance and G load margins. This stand down was the product of two organizations refusing to take the obvious qualified recommendations of the pilots flying on the course.

In response to RARA and FAA's refusal to remedy the issues at hand to the satisfaction of the Unlimited racers, it has left us no other option but to stand down in the interest of safety. It is the hopes of the Unlimited Division members that logic will prevail and the event we have come to know as the Fastest Motor Sport on earth will not disapear, but will continue for many years to come. In the mean time we have no other option , but to not participate in this years event.

Matt Jackson
          VP Unlimited Division

Comment

What the HECK?? This is the 50th year of this event and now basically at the last minute a glitch is going to keep the Unlimiteds from racing........I enjoy all the classes........but I think most will agree that this is the class that is the main attraction. So what about the Jet class? Lets see, that's no military airplanes, no unlimiteds, and no ???
            Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the safety aspect, but I would think some kind of agreement could be worked out.
            So I guess Strega won't be racing this year! I'm sorry, this really sucks!!!!!!
            Brian

Comment

If this happens....... RIP Reno air races....

Comment

At the end of the day, I don't think this is about in-fighting between rara, nag, faa, or other associations / admins. I think this is the result of a lot of smart, experienced people (airmen and businessmen) associated with air racing, trying to find a way to save the sport in the chaos which inevitably followed the ghost incident. If any of us thought air racing would have an easy go of things after that day, we were mistaken. I don't think any one manager in any of the associations mentioned above personally is willing to end air racing just because he is stubborn. I just don't. After the ghost did the one thing we all assumed for decades was impossible (made it all the way to the stands with huge energy) the responsibilities of each member of each of those associations to try to "ensure" a safe event has come under huge scrutiny from the most powerful forces in our society (the gov't, insurance companies, and the media). Every one of the association / admin managers is in a miserable spot as they try to find a way our sport can survive and still be remotely enjoyable, let alone break-even financially. In a country where citizens naively think safety is a "right" or something which can be "guaranteed," there may no longer be room for air racing. Perhaps it was meant to be a 20th century marvel, right there with Concorde, space travel, the SR-71, manned fighter planes, and a bunch of other things.
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Wow! Hopefully this big move will get them what they're looking for so they can race this year.

After all the obstacles they've overcome, if they can't come to an agreement on the 50th Anniversary I can't see how they ever will.
                  Jeff

Comment

Don't blame RARA or throw them under the bus. This is an FAA decision...they control the airspace, not RARA.

Comment

RARA changed the course though.

Comment

Now that RARA has formed their own replacement Unlimited division it will be interesting to see who stands with the old guard and who stands with the new. Either way this is not a good development and will hurt the races this year in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                          Now that RARA has formed their own replacement Unlimited division it will be interesting to see who stands with the old guard and who stands with the new. Either way this is not a good development and will hurt the races this year in a big way.
                          Didn't they race with these same rules in 2012? What's changed since last year?

Comment

Everybody calm down, check LiveAirshowTVs latest Youtube video.....
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

They really didn't like the course set-up last year but they went ahead anyway. If the turns are indeed 6Gs plus altitude restrictions are in place it really isn't safe anymore. I agree with Matt Jackson & the unlimited pilots. It is their lives at stake.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X