Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Reno race fans it is great sadness to make the following announcement. It has been the decision of the Unlimited Division Board of directors, representing the members of the Unlimited Division, to announce a safety stand down of the Unlimited Division from participation in the 2013 Reno National Championship Air Races.

The not so simple decision was made due to the inability of the Unlimited Class to reach a satisfactory resolution with the FAA and RARA to concerns regarding race course safety, specifically altitude restrictions. It has always been the opinion of the Unlimited Class that if you keep the pilots safe, the crowd will also be safe. In the last several years the Unlimited Class is of the opinion that Rara in conjunction with the FAA has made new altitude rules and race course changes that prohibit the pilots from having satisfactory safety clearance and G load margins. This stand down was the product of two organizations refusing to take the obvious qualified recommendations of the pilots flying on the course.

In response to RARA and FAA's refusal to remedy the issues at hand to the satisfaction of the Unlimited racers, it has left us no other option but to stand down in the interest of safety. It is the hopes of the Unlimited Division members that logic will prevail and the event we have come to know as the Fastest Motor Sport on earth will not disapear, but will continue for many years to come. In the mean time we have no other option , but to not participate in this years event.

Matt Jackson
    VP Unlimited Division

Default Re: Unlimited Saftey Stand Down

Thanks for the info, Matt. Looks like the Fed got what they wanted.
    Chris...

Well.....****
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

My reserved seats will be empty if this is true. Everything about this is bad except the money I will save. Thanks FAA
    Brad
    Windy Hill GA83

Air Racing just Shot themselves in the foot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    Reno race fans it is great sadness to make the following announcement. It has been the decision of the Unlimited Division Board of directors, representing the members of the Unlimited Division, to announce a safety stand down of the Unlimited Division from participation in the 2013 Reno National Championship Air Races.

The not so simple decision was made due to the inability of the Unlimited Class to reach a satisfactory resolution with the FAA and RARA to concerns regarding race course safety, specifically altitude restrictions. It has always been the opinion of the Unlimited Class that if you keep the pilots safe, the crowd will also be safe. In the last several years the Unlimited Class is of the opinion that Rara in conjunction with the FAA has made new altitude rules and race course changes that prohibit the pilots from having satisfactory safety clearance and G load margins. This stand down was the product of two organizations refusing to take the obvious qualified recommendations of the pilots flying on the course.

In response to RARA and FAA's refusal to remedy the issues at hand to the satisfaction of the Unlimited racers, it has left us no other option but to stand down in the interest of safety. It is the hopes of the Unlimited Division members that logic will prevail and the event we have come to know as the Fastest Motor Sport on earth will not disapear, but will continue for many years to come. In the mean time we have no other option , but to not participate in this years event.

Matt Jackson
    VP Unlimited Division

What the HECK?? This is the 50th year of this event and now basically at the last minute a glitch is going to keep the Unlimiteds from racing........I enjoy all the classes........but I think most will agree that this is the class that is the main attraction. So what about the Jet class? Lets see, that's no military airplanes, no unlimiteds, and no ???
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the safety aspect, but I would think some kind of agreement could be worked out.
    So I guess Strega won't be racing this year! I'm sorry, this really sucks!!!!!!
    Brian

If this happens....... RIP Reno air races....

Wow! Hopefully this big move will get them what they're looking for so they can race this year.

After all the obstacles they've overcome, if they can't come to an agreement on the 50th Anniversary I can't see how they ever will.
    Jeff

Don't blame RARA or throw them under the bus. This is an FAA decision...they control the airspace, not RARA.

They really didn't like the course set-up last year but they went ahead anyway. If the turns are indeed 6Gs plus altitude restrictions are in place it really isn't safe anymore. I agree with Matt Jackson & the unlimited pilots. It is their lives at stake.
    Lockheed Bob