PRS Accident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS Accident?

Not attending PRS this year but heard from other judges so though second-hand, should be fairly reliable. According to my guys, after the mid-air (judges did not witness it) 777 attempted to drop gear. Almost immediately thereafter, the a/c then went into what appeared to be a couple snap rolls. He recovered and retracted the gear (aero issues likely).

777 made one attempt to land gear up on Rnwy14, touched down once or twice, then pulled up. Made another attempt on Rnwy 26, same thing, then came back on third attempt, all gear up. No smoke/fire, but lots of dust!

While not the best scenario (the mid-air itself), certainly speaks to the quality of the individuals involved and their professionalism as well as the CFR capabilities. This is why PRS exists. Not the incident part of course, but gaining the experience and understanding in a controlled environment with very vew distractions.

And yes, there is Race Control at PRS. Briefings and de-briefs daily.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I wondered about rudder authority on rollout. Would it be better to come in on the belly rather than take the chance of a lack of control on rollout? Going off runway with wheels down would seem to increase the chance of a rollover, cartwheel, etc.
      Just a thought.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

How much damage to the other aircraft?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          I just read the article in the Reno paper. I don't mean to armchair quarterback, and I know this just happened, but........the article said the pilot of 777 made two attempts at landing, and the second one was gear up. Judging from the damage to the tail, I wonder why elected to leave the gear up. I know, perhaps there was additional damage that I can't see. Did anyone actually see the collision..and perhaps describe what happened? Glad no one was hurt, that's the main thing.
          Brian
          Not there...and not an L-39 pilot. However, having discussed what 'is' known with a couple fellow military pilots, we came to the conclusion that lowering the gear effected the directional stability (out of control flight usually indicates such), and when the gear was retracted and power added the stability returned. So gear up to maintain controlled flight and higher approach speeds to continue with directional authority with what was left of the rudder.

No passing judgement at all here...my opinion doesn't center around the why the collision happened, but the pilot did what needed to be done to get the plane down in one piece. And THAT is a piece of airmanship that falls under the 'any landing you can walk away from' in my book.

Comment

Since no one got hurt in this incident, hopefully this question won't be offensive to anyone. Would this incident result in either or both of these pilots not passing/graduating from PRS? Or maybe, because of it they would finish at the top of their class as they apparently properly responded to a real emergency?

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
              Since no one got hurt in this incident, hopefully this question won't be offensive to anyone. Would this incident result in either or both of these pilots not passing/graduating from PRS? Or maybe, because of it they would finish at the top of their class as they apparently properly responded to a real emergency?
              Not there, unfortunately, but my information from a very good source has it that it was an instructor who hit a student's airplane... that should not affect the student's qualifications I'd think.
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have some back seat time in L39's. One aircraft the gear seemed to all operate at the same time. The other would swing the right main gear first every time, up or down. So, imagine one gear leg coming out first with very little yaw stability.. Yikes

Just a theory
                Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Three photos at this link, only the last one shows the aircraft:

KRNV NBC Reno covers news, sports, weather and traffic for the Reno, Nevada area including Sparks, Carson City, Virginia City, Silver City, Stagecoach, Silver Springs, Sun Valley, Cold Springs, Spanish Springs and Fenley, Nevada and Truckee and Tahoe City, California.

I'm certainly relieved that no one was injured.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                    I'm certainly relieved that no one was injured.
                    Amen to that! We all know it could have been a lot different!

Race 29
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Not there, unfortunately, but my information from a very good source has it that it was an instructor who hit a student's airplane... that should not affect the student's qualifications I'd think.
                      It was a qualified racer (raced last year) that hit an instructor. No students involved.

Comment

Both pilots on the ground safe and sound...I would consider everything else secondary. It was an amazing feat of great flying by pilots that kept their heads on straight after the crap hit the fan. 777 is now 77 and practiced some gear up touch and go's before making a full stop landing. The T-shirt he was wearing we auctioned last night...and he made some notes on the shirt that reflect the above statement. Cool heads prevailed when the heat was turned up the highest...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	L3977.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	225780

Comment

I can't help but think that the typical robustness of a Soviet aircraft might have had something to do with the outcome. I'm not taking anything away from the pilot's skill set.

Kevin

Comment

The L-39 is Czech designed and built.

Comment

Yeah, I should have said "Soviet bloc".

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X