WHOO HOO !! NEW SERVER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHOO HOO !! NEW SERVER!

I don't know when this will actually take place.. you'll know, because the forum's will be closed, and likely, the site might not load from time to time..

It's 2:30 Pacific and I was about to pull the migration pin when I discovered, after 5 hours of prepping the new server for the migration (hardening) the second drive was left out and the migration failed because there was no place to move the backups to...

Arrrrguh!

DC is putting in the new drive as I type, as soon as it's provisioned, again, I should be able to start the migration.. hopefully, when you read this message sometime later today, we'll be on the new box and I'll be on my way to Reno.. I've never missed a PRS, even cancer couldn't keep me away.. damned if I'm gonna let a little server glitch keep me from it!

If only I were 40 again and used to getting by on 4-5 hours of sleep a day.. I'm 62 now and damned tired right now..

Thanks again to those who donated to help defray the costs this glitch has thrown into our limited budget!!!!

And yes, we're still holding the tin cup
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: NEW SERVER! UPDATE

Well crap, after turning off the message board twice (so the database doesn't get corrupted during transfer) so's we could migrate to the new box.. the migration keeps failing due to some file structure issue.... being fixed as of 4:00AM Pacific.. I'm hanging in there, got a couple hours of sleep while I waited for the provisioning earlier yesterday evening.

IF they get this ready for me soon, I'll start the migration, again, hopefully, it will be successful, the redirects to the new server from the old will work and it will be seamless..

Anybody got a monkey wrench?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: NEW SERVER!

Someone found a wrench.. it's now an hour later and the half hour I was told it would take has doubled.. Problem is, "they" can't pull the pin.. I have to do it so the sooner the better..

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Big wrench.. the experts can't get it to work.. I'm throwing in the towel.... machines win...

If we get lucky, the problem will fix itself or the NOC guys will find whatever it is/was and we'll just can the move...

I'm done.. I'll be lucky now after being up all night to even make it to PRS this year... grumph...
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          Big wrench.. the experts can't get it to work.. I'm throwing in the towel.... machines win...

If we get lucky, the problem will fix itself or the NOC guys will find whatever it is/was and we'll just can the move...

I'm done.. I'll be lucky now after being up all night to even make it to PRS this year... grumph...
          Have you checked under the seat of Race 57, Wayne? Seems to me that they keep a big wrench in the cockpit for just such emergencies.

Comment

Hey Wayne,

I have went onto the site twice this morning and all seems to be working ok now.

With that said, get down to PRS and enjoy yourself for couple days.

I'm going to swing over there early afternoon.

Comment

Wayne,

Put the tools away,

turn off the monitor,

take miss beer natzi by the hand

get in the truck

Get to PRS dude.

We all can wait a handful of days. Its not like it doesnt come up at all. its just slower. We can still get our fix.

GO GET YOURS!

It will still be there when you get back, and have more time to work on it. go on, have some fun, and enjoy PRS.

wolfee

Comment

Would that it were.. I really spent myself over the past 72 (more) hours on this entire project. It actually started completely unrelated on the day before I was to leave the beach for Portland last week.. My Internet connection there went south and took an entire day to solve.. then the slow down started.. I've pretty much been "ON" since about Thursday last week. A bit of a respit over the weekend because the lag seemed to be better but as soon as traffic picked up (not necessairly our traffic) it became clear that serious attention was necessary.

Anyway.. long story short, after much thought and deep disappointment, I simply had to make the decision. I cancelled my reservation at the Circus Circus and I'm officially going to miss my first PRS ever.. been to EVERY SINGLE ONE but this one.

In the end, I guess my health is most important and the stress of the last week just has me down.. stomach hurt so bad last night stressing over this I almost barfed! (TMI)

SINCERE THANKS TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE HELPING ME OUT FINANCIALLY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! REALLY REALLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks also to everyone for bearing with me during the slow down.. it's still REALLY BAD!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Damn.. That was fassst! Was able to redirect DNS from old to new, with some exceptions due to your system DNS cache, most of you should wind up here ... I've never had one work so darn well.. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

And, man, this sucker POPS!

Compare

Old
                  processor= dual core
                  ram= 2 gig (until a few days ago increased to 4 to see if it would help the slow down) maxed out at 4
                  HD space= 250gb x 2
                  bandwidth allot= 2500 tb

New
                  processor= quad core
                  ram= 4 gig expandible to many many more
                  HD space= 500 x 2
                  bandwidth allot= A LOT... 5000 tb

Price.. same!!! A LOT! But wee's a happy campa' we is!

Hope you all get here OK... if you hit a snag, you should get instructions on how to clear your DNS cache.. dumb me was about to write instructions to people who if they are here to read them... don't need them..

OK.. back to work we have to help our neighbors move in...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: WHOO HOO !! NEW SERVER!

As an addendum to above.. once the traffic slows the old box down later today, until the DNS update on the main nameservers update.. there could still be some lag getting here.. I don't think once you're here, however, that it will be a problem and once your local system gets the new IP address in cache, should be good...
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Seems to work this AM.
                      If you decide to come down last minute I am sure I (or one of us locals) can accommodate ya.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Wayne,

WOW... Excellent job ! Much, much more 'snappier'.

THANK YOU

Bob

Comment

Great Job Wayne. Have a cool one.
                          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Very fast load times now... best ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                              Very fast load times now... best ever!
                              Yep... this thing smokes! Pages snap up so fast it makes my neck hurt..

Got to bed yesterday at 6:00AM, an interesting phone call from a former crew chief got me rolling at 9:30AM... so 3.5 hrs of sleep... wus up again till 6:00AM this morning... I was wound so tight that I was "overtired" and could not get to sleep so.. I had that cold one that Lockheed Bob suggested (three SN Torpedo's to be exact) .. did the trick! Slept like a baby till 3:00PM today....

Actually, last night when I first wrote how well the transfer went, wound up turning to $hit with some DNS confusion issues between my computer and the world and I just could not get the site to load... Also, I have a beer for space deal with the Fort George Brewery in Astoria and moving their site also just went to $hit...

So I went from elation to dispair.. their site had become borked in the move so I HAD to stay up to get it working again.. that's why it was 6:00AM before I finally closed the computer and threw in the towell..

I probably really should have listened to my Dad when he told me to learn how to lay bricks like he did!!

LOL!!!

Sure is fast now and I'm completely happy... other than the fact that I'm up here and Tiger and the rest of you are down there..

**Sigh**
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X