Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My last conversation with Dad

Howdy folks,

So, wanted to share some tidbits of my last conversation with dad (Lowell) , about 36 hours before he passed on March 2nd.

He so-loved to silly season, and feeding on any rumors that would circulate. Thinking back over these last couple weeks, he sure would have enjoyed all the hype!

During that last talk, I was questioning him in regards to a certain Yak, which some years ago was fitted with a Merlin. The aircraft was listed in various places for sale, and the last I've heard of it. Anyone else have info on this one? Can't say it's a real practical conversion, but nevertheless, would be a hoot.

We also discussed the 5 Mustangs that have won Reno Gold, with stock canopies. Should be a pretty easy one for most of you to figure...

Wouldn't it be awesome if the 4 surviving (of the 5) could be in attendance? I mean, It's not that far fetched! I haven't noticed if 68C is back in the air or not?

Re: My last conversation with Dad

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    Howdy folks,

So, wanted to share some tidbits of my last conversation with dad (Lowell) , about 36 hours before he passed on March 2nd.

He so-loved to silly season, and feeding on any rumors that would circulate. Thinking back over these last couple weeks, he sure would have enjoyed all the hype!

During that last talk, I was questioning him in regards to a certain Yak, which some years ago was fitted with a Merlin. The aircraft was listed in various places for sale, and the last I've heard of it. Anyone else have info on this one? Can't say it's a real practical conversion, but nevertheless, would be a hoot.

We also discussed the 5 Mustangs that have won Reno Gold, with stock canopies. Should be a pretty easy one for most of you to figure...

Wouldn't it be awesome if the 4 surviving (of the 5) could be in attendance? I mean, It's not that far fetched! I haven't noticed if 68C is back in the air or not?
    Well, let's see....Fey Racy's (1970) is just coming out of a rebuild from Pete Regina's place....Suzi-Q (1974) is a hole in the Mojave desert....Thunderbird (1976) is still undergoing a rebuild from a gear collapse IIRC....and Miss A (1994 with a HUGE asterisk given the Super Gold Shootout) is still active. That's four, but.....what is the fifth?

The only other 'stock top' Mustang I can think of that ever won a race was Chuck Lyford in 1965...but that was at Las Vegas, not Reno.

Comment

Re: My last conversation with Dad

Jim,
      Sorry I didn't get back to you before...

Lyford's mustang I count, because the '64 Reno "Gold" (IF you want to call it that), the Championship race, was won by #8, with Love at the Controls. The title went to Slovak, on account of total points during the week. But Love finished over 10mph ahead of Slovak in the final race.

- Joseph

Comment

Working...
      X