Colling Foundation B17, B24 & P51 at Reno Stead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colling Foundation B17, B24 & P51 at Reno Stead

Just got back from the airport. Nice day on the ramp.

100 days left and the stands will be full.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-03-2013, 04:59 PM.

Re: Colling Foundation B17, B24 & P51 at Reno Stead

Hey, folks,

I'm doing some flying for Collings, and want to say if you've never flown in one of the bombers, or the Mustang, this is a great opportunity for you to do so. At the very least, come on out and grab a few t-shirts and say hello to the gang.
    Scotty G

Comment

Here's a short video I shot this morning of Witchcraft taking off at Stead. Turn up your speakers and enjoy
      Russ
      Attached Files
      Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Thanks for the pics Desertdawg! Great video Russ! Thanks for posting it.
        Tony

Comment

Announcing on the radio this morning that they were "grounded", unable to give rides due to a lack of proper insurance. Anyone hear anything? Is this a WCAA thing due to the crash a couple years ago? That's gotta be a small blow to Collins as the money is needed I am sure.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
            Announcing on the radio this morning that they were "grounded", unable to give rides due to a lack of proper insurance. Anyone hear anything? Is this a WCAA thing due to the crash a couple years ago? That's gotta be a small blow to Collins as the money is needed I am sure.
            Collings normally carries 500k per passenger insurance. The Reno Airport Authority demanded $1M per passenger so Colling's upped the insurance. Then the %^$%^#$!! demanded $5M per passenger and Colling's said they couldn't afford that so they were "grounded" as far as selling rides goes. I guess they will know where they are not welcome next year. It's a bad deal that has cost a great organization loads of time and $$$$.

Comment

3 days they could have been making money somewhere else.
              Sounds like Airport Authority simply did not want them to fly no matter what. Would be interesting to hear the reasoning they used.
              Very sad that they probably will never come back.
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Comment

Thats a shame. Such a wonderful historical experience lost to bureaucracy.

At a loss for politically correct words that would be appropriate here.
                  Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-05-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Now the feds are holding OSH hostage.... http://www.thenorthwestern.com/artic...nclick_check=1

Comment

Well, if you can't ban something outright, simply tax and fee it out of existence...
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Reno has a dead economy and they still pull this kinda stuff. No wonder events just don't come there anymore.

Comment

This is truly a move by the slow of mind. I only wish I lived by so that I could drop a fifty in the kitty for them. They lost money on this gig! Gas, oil, maintenance, wear and tear..etc. Just go out there if you can and buy something from them or give a little. History of this kind has a price and just a little will help them out.

Ex-Bear
                          JetWaste

Comment

Thanks guys, I put this up on the WIX board yesterday.

This is an unfortunate situation. We gave flight experiences Monday and Tuesday without issue. The airport manager came to us at 4PM Tuesday, right before the afternoon B-17 flight, and informed us that he had been talking to the Airport Authority and they came to the decision that we needed to increase our per passenger insurance premium. As an aside, I believe the King County issue was per aircraft.

Ken worked well in advance with the powers that be at Reno to make sure we complied with thier insurance demands and at the 11th hour they changed thier minds, rendering us a static display. We still completed around 10 flights before notice was given. We also left ALOT of dissappointed and somewhat angry people on the ground that were booked for Mustang and B-17 rides this morning before we departed. Although the customers understood why, AND not an issue with us, they were not happy with the Reno Airport Authority. The planned press conference at the airport this morning did not happen, nor did we hear from the media. I did speak to the airport manager, who was very understanding and worked hard to bring us to his airport. He indicated that he would work diligently to get us back into Stead Field next year without issue. Reno is an aviation oriented town and the negative publicity garnered by the Airport Authority won't sit well with the locals. Will it affect the Air Races? No. The Collings Foundation issues will long be forgotten when race week comes around. I truely believe that the NCAR is first and foremost on the minds of the Airport Authority and convincing them that we are flying production quality aircraft, not highly modified vintage aircraft will be difficult at best . With the economic impact the Races hold for the city of Reno, I get the feeling that they would rather only open the airport during race week. Will we go back?, only time will tell. I think we will be going to Lake Tahoe and or Truckee in the coming years.

We would like to thank the efforts of the Airport Manager and thank all the people, including ALOT of veterans, that came out to support the Wings of Freedom tour in Reno. We had a great turn out and we look forward to returning to the area in coming years.

Jim Harley

Comment

Hello Jim,

I enjoyed the self guided tour of your aircraft, wonderful aircraft. We appreciate what the Collings Foundation does to preserve history and bring the experience to people across the country.

It's a sad state when the Reno Airport Authority changes the rules after the fact, this does not sit well with me. Apparenty RAA has a management structure that can not make effective decisions and stick by them. Shows a lack of backbone and management skills.

Truckee would be a wonderful choice or maybe the even the Carson City or the Minden/Gardnerville airports. As for Tahoe, wouldn't summer heat and the high elevation be a issue?

Even though the above airports are a short distance from the large Reno/Sparks population, given enough advance media exposure aviation/historial buffs will find you. The view would be outstanding.

Thanks again from all your friends in the Reno area. Hope to see next year.

Hans Reisel
                              Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-06-2013, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X