Gee Bee Z, ready to fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gee Bee Z, ready to fly?

Kermit Weeks has been working on getting his Gee Bee Z back in the air for sometime now. Here's the lastest clip he posted on a taxi and run up. Be nice to see it flying soon.

Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM. Reason: embedded video

Re: Gee Bee Z, ready to fly?

Very cool... This video came up on the page after Kermit's video ended.. I never really knew what it was about Critical Mass that was soo cool... it was like a GeeBee on STEROIDS!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That must be an older video that they just recently posted. He flew the airplane a few times 6-8 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        That must be an older video that they just recently posted. He flew the airplane a few times 6-8 months ago.
        Don't know how old that video might be, but I think you are mistaken about the plane having flown. Kermit, when he posted the clip on his Facebook page a few days ago wrote, "Here's a taxi and run-up in the Gee Bee Zee in preparation of getting it licensed and flying again!"

Comment

Although, they have apparently managed to correct the flutter issues that made it previously so dangerous, I still think the last thing anyone should do with a Gee Bee is fly it. ... and how claustrophobic it must feel with that lid down.

Comment

Originally posted by HangarFlies View Post
            Although, they have apparently managed to correct the flutter issues that made it previously so dangerous, I still think the last thing anyone should do with a Gee Bee is fly it. ... and how claustrophobic it must feel with that lid down.

Delmar proved the Gee Bee could be flown just as safely as any other high performance aircraft as long as you respected the flight envelope. The flutter issues has not been "fixed", but they now know what flight conditions cause the flutter and how to avoid it. I wish we could get the Z, R1, Q.E.D and some other golden era racers to Reno just for a demo race. Would be very cool to see.

Comment

So, what ever became of Delmar's Gee Bee. Saw him perform at Reno a couple of times, then heard the FAA had a problem with a performance. Would love to see Delmar and Kermit at Reno this year, oh and of course their respective Gee Bee's.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_E_Richards View Post
                So, what ever became of Delmar's Gee Bee. Saw him perform at Reno a couple of times, then heard the FAA had a problem with a performance. Would love to see Delmar and Kermit at Reno this year, oh and of course their respective Gee Bee's.

Delmar donated his Gee Bee to Fantasy of Flight so Kermit now owns both the Z and the R2.

Comment

Working...
                X